Toad/licence question..... (1 Viewer)

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Now, this in the future, we're in no rush but, there is answer 1, smaller toad, 2 licence which begs the what's involved, principles, rough costs and the long term, medicals, re licenceing, I know nothing, well very little! Is there a third answer or forth?????
The you'll never get caught/ignor the law isn't an option, life's to short.

Crux, between Winne and desired toad, my Wrangler, we're about 400kgs over the 8.25 limit I understand my '85 licence gives me:cry:

Si.

Loddy

Free Member
Jul 5, 2008
south west
Funster No
MH
RV C class
Exp
4+ 30 years tugging
My thoughts are you need a lighter toad, or a C licence, but thats for a rigid and you can only tow upto 750kg , next step is a C+E which is a full artic licence no limits.

I have just done my C licence

medical 90
theory test 50
training 160 per day + vat ( I had three )
practical test 115

and then I changed my toad for a Smart 720 kg

Indy

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi no good smart is over the Gross weight of 750kg, this is a misconception that people have, it's not the the weight on the road that the law refers to but the MAM, that's the Maximum allowed Mass.

To to take an example, my trailer has a MAM of 1300kg, but an unladen weight of 300kg, so to pull this behind my 9ton RV empty I need a C+E license as its the MAM not the unladen weight the law refers to.

Whether the cops or DVLA will ever enforce this is anybody's guess. ::bigsmile:

Olley

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Loddy

Free Member
Jul 5, 2008
south west
Funster No
MH
RV C class
Exp
4+ 30 years tugging
Olley

Didn't know that, that's put the cat among the proverbial pigeons

Indy

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi indy most vehicle weights from a legal point of view are done in this way, if your stopped they don't have to weigh you, just look at the plate. The only one that I think is different is train weight, if they suspect your over that then its off to the weighbridge.

The french microcars are about the only ones with a MAM under 750kg, (Aixam and Lieger) But I have never heard of anyone being done, and whether the insurance companies would be interested in the event of an accident?

Olley

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
what you need is either c1+e un restricted (your has restriction )or can the winnie be classed as a bus as d1+e i believe is not restricted and can be used up to 12 ton . must check it out first. :thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
c1+e as restriction 107 .but d1+e doesnt have a restriction only rst 101 not for hire n reward. so is the winnie a bus or a truck base. its a mine field. :thumb::Eeek:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Dont think it has enough seats to qualify as a bu:Doh:s

kkclassic

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
South Coast
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Hi YA

I have D1+E and DVLA say more than 9 seats and my Mirada has 10 plus belts so does that qualify me for the maximum weight ????????

mind you a 30 foot minibus is stretching it a bit :ROFLMAO:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
like i said its a minefield. i would like to say yes but then i dont make the rules. can you verify if it is a bus or truck chassis. if you can n are willing to standby your belief go for it. or take the test n sleep easy. ask at dvla swansea be prepared for a long wait on phone . or try your local traffic examiner.:thumb:

F

foggyparrot

Deleted User
Hi YA

I have D1+E and DVLA say more than 9 seats and my Mirada has 10 plus belts so does that qualify me for the maximum weight ????????

mind you a 30 foot minibus is stretching it a bit :ROFLMAO:

I have in my grubby little mit. a letter from the DVLA confirming that my PSV (D1+E) does indeed entitle me to drive my 11 ton RV whilst towing a trailer and car. When I asked them to clarify the definition of a D1+E with regard to the aforementioned RV, they were not only very vague but indicated that so many classifications over the past 30 years have merged, melted and suffused with each other that it would be difficult to conclude exactly what any given individual is ACTUALLY entitled to drive.

The law is quite clear when being specific to dates and current requirements for NEW licences and what may fall into those categories for which you may need a specific class, but when it comes to those of us that have held licences for various categories since the early seventies or before, then even a court of law would have trouble deciphering and ultimately ruling on an alleged licence infringement.

In the eighties, for instance, it was quite legal for a person to drive a 52 seat coach (or even a double decker bus!) on a car license providing that you were not carrying fare paying passengers. This was under the 'heavy motor vehicle' classification which all drivers recieved automatically until (geo may be able to help here?) the early eighties(?).

This is a long running debate as we all know. It's pretty academic for me as I do have my C1+E, D1+E but I do feel very sorry for those of you that are still in such a quandry as to what to do for the best. Until I was actually given back my C1+E classification (after DVLA lost it in the regional changeover and I never noticed it missing from my licence) I did pursue with vigour the PSV argument which resulted in the letter of affirmation allowing me to drive my coach during the interim.

It is still testament to the fact that the area remains so grey that not only has there never been a classification prosecution, but no ACTUAL attempt has been made yet to bring a case to court to test it, despite the fact there have been a number of people 'caught' driving vehicles above there individual classifications (I am of course reffering to 'heavy' RV's/motorhomes).

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
it was in the early 90,s large buses over 16 seats was taken away by the back door .if you had the medical n had a proof experiance instead of a pass cert. signed by amongst others a member of parliament. (honest people .HA HA ) you kept grandfather rights ,if not di+restricted . same medical as hgv so lots of us just paid 20 quid to keep the privalage.but still not for hire or reward.

F

foggyparrot

Deleted User
Cheers Alan,

I knew somebody would remember the year, Amazingly, it's not something that's published anywhere!

kkclassic

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
South Coast
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
I have in my grubby little mit. a letter from the DVLA confirming that my PSV (D1+E) does indeed entitle me to drive my 11 ton RV whilst towing a trailer and car. When I asked them to clarify the definition of a D1+E with regard to the aforementioned RV, they were not only very vague but indicated that so many classifications over the past 30 years have merged, melted and suffused with each other that it would be difficult to conclude exactly what any given individual is ACTUALLY entitled to drive.

Morning

Thanks for the info I wouldn't mind a copy of that letter if that is possible. It would set my mind at rest over this problem.

Kevin

F

foggyparrot

Deleted User
Morning Kevin,

I'll PM you later.

Mike

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!