Free Member
Oct 15, 2016
South Shields
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
New Owner
The ‘to wave or not to wave’ discussion has been raised frequently on this site and following our 750 mile Easter trip travelling the length of the country, I feel compelled to add my own observations to the dialogue.

As a relatively new member to the Motorhome world I have been amused by the frequent argument of whether to wave to other Motorhomers or not. As we set off on our travels from the North East of England, I duly instigated a polite ‘hello’ wave when passing oncoming MH’s and on frequent occasion was beaten to it by eager drivers/passengers however, as the miles stacked up, the fewer responses I received. Now, mine is not to judge whether it is right or wrong to wave but the style of waving has most certainly amused. Below, I have described the types of wave encountered over this last jaunt.

1. The professional driver – a polite raise of the fingers without releasing the steering wheel; maintaining the safe control of their pride and joy.

2. The one handed ‘stop’ – the driver raises their hand in a static manner similar to that of a police officer stopping a vehicle.

3. The one handed wave – a generally more enthusiastic hello.

4. The salute – on not one but two occasions I was greeted by a very military like salute; by budding tank commanders perhaps.

5. The passenger one handed wave (as No.3).

6. The passenger two handed wave – the passenger waves exuberantly with both hands.

7. The crazed passenger – a two handed wave by the passenger whilst almost obliterating the driver’s vision.

8. Finally, the response from a single Autotrail Driver who clearly preferred the less subtle “I’m not playing” sign utilising a very robust raise of the middle finger . You know who you are….

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
You've obviously not passed us...we always give a Mexican wave..

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I'm a one hand stop type of acknowledgeder sometimes SWMBO will raise a hand also.

We find it amusing when some are forced to wave back. Breaks the journey up and little things amuse me :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Being previously an MGB owner (who wave at each other), a Series 2 Land Rover owner (likewise), now a motorhome owner, and living on an island where everyone waves to everyone else when they pass anyway, I just wave at other vehicles randomly (when safe to do so, officer) using a random type of wave each time.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
We wave all the time unless their over a central reservation and too far away....

We found we get more waves abroad....:france:

If we don't get a wave back I delight in practicing my verbal vocabulary.........:swear2:

:D2

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I always wave but 'er indoors is usually asleep and so doesn't :whistle:

I've noticed the number of people waving back wasn't as high as normal last week. People driving PVCs seem to be particularly miserable, I don't think a single one of those waved. :whistle:

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Here's a question. When passing multiple motorhomers do you let the wave hang:hi: or go for individual waves. we are in Brittany at the moment. With what seems like every bloody motorhome in France. Sometimes passing 5 or 6 at a time. I tend to go for the hand raised but leave it hanging taking in multiple vans in one:tmi:. Spent more time waving than driving today. But better than work:smiley:

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
We often wave to the passing chugger and may even flash ones lights too should they be driving an Autosleeper Van like our own.....However as an aside we live and drive in the narrow lanes of Devon, quite happy to give way to an oncoming vehicle on a narrow road but very very few drivers are polite enough to acknowledge that we have given way and storm past us eyes fixed in a death stare ahead. Miserable rude gits o_O...politeness isnt that expensive is it ?

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I drive a HYMER.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I also wave but being stuck back a long way from the screen they hardly see me so they all think stuck up git.

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
You've obviously not passed us...we always give a Mexican wave..
Of course he hasn't passed you, you're in Italy :LOL:
Always wave but don't always get a response :(

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
I used to have three opportunities of acknowledging my fellow lucky road users....
1. Suzuki Burgman 400 cc
upload_2017-4-17_20-56-42.jpeg

I always got the tilt of the head from fellow bikers, and I loved it - but after falling off the bike twice, Cliff suggested we should sell the Burgie and buy this:

A Honda FH125
upload_2017-4-17_20-45-21.jpeg

And I haven't fallen off it (yet) but bikers don't do the head tilt any more.... :crying:

But we have one of these:

2.Hymer B564
upload_2017-4-17_20-47-25.jpeg

And we ALWAYS wave - me more enthusiastically than Cliff - he is the 'fingers raised whilst still holding the wheel' type of waver....

But my favourite opportunity of waving, and it doesn't happen as often as I would like, so when I get the chance I wave like a lunatic! I am SOOOO happy to meet a fellow lucky, lucky owner.....

3. Nissan Cube
images
:notworthy2::notworthy2::notworthy2:

So yes - Wave - ALWAYS WAVE (but of course, only if its safe to do so...... )

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I deffo have a 6 / 7 with me. :D2:rolleyes:

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
We wave all the time unless their over a central reservation and too far away....

We found we get more waves abroad....:france:

If we don't get a wave back I delight in practicing my verbal vocabulary.........:swear2:

:D2

You had better wave at me even if I'm over the other side of the central reservation :D2:D2:D2

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Been riding bikes 40 years and always nod or wave. But in UK it's the right hand to wave and that's the throttle hand.

Much easier in Europe. Left boot out in France and hand pointed out to left most other places :)
Often look in mirror and see SWMBO waving as well :)

Last edited:

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
We used to wave when it was to acknowledge an unusual meeting - as in the time, in 1964-ish when driving through rural Romania and encountering a Hillman Minx coming the opposite direction!
These days, Motorhomes are as common as *****, so we don't bother. Imagine acknowledging every car you drove past while driving your car?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
You need one of these. available in Northern Spain & complete with proper hands.:D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back