to wave or not to wave? (1 Viewer)

Mar 1, 2009
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
I was driing along the A47 today and i noticed some motorhome and campervan drivers giving me a little friendly wave :Smile:

Then i thought, i`ll start to wave first, but when i did some just did`nt wave back and some did!

This set me thinking, should i wave or not?!, but i hate not wavin coz then i just feel ignorant if they wave and i dont, so i made up my mind, im gonna wave at all campervans and motorhomes, big, small, tatty or posh :thumb:

what are your thoughts on waving?? xjx

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Once we return to the UK we will wave:coolthumb:

Why be a :thumbdown: and not wave.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
shirl waves at anything that resembles a motorhome.....

white vans, ambulances, icecream vans, horsebox's, buses, police vans, removal trucks......the list goes on.:Doh: :ROFLMAO:

im a little more selective 'cos i can tell the difference...:winky:

you can always initiate a wave with the flash of your headlights.....nearly always works.:thumb:

we have a name for non-wavers but this is a family site....:Blush:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
think we call them the same name papajon. there is alot of miserable ones out there, their life must be so bad to them. if you look hard their lips turn down at the ends all the time ,probably never smile .some dont even smile when i have a puncture or broken down, i think it effects their eyes as well. :ROFLMAO::Eeek::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

takeaflight

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
Stratford-upon-Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I wave, but when they don't wave back I think, stuff it I won't bother. Then bugger me I don't and they wave at me, then I feel bad that I didn't :Doh:

If that makes sence.:Eeek:

N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
I wave, but when they don't wave back I think, stuff it I won't bother. Then bugger me I don't and they wave at me, then I feel bad that I didn't :Doh:

If that makes sense.:Eeek:

I'll go with that:ROFLMAO: so it's wave and wtf
.... the dog's usually asleep and would wave (OK, a bit of a tail wag) anyway.... mind you, being a black lab she'd wave, sing and dance for a bikkie :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited by a moderator:

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Who remembers the AA & RAC motorcyclists who use to salute to members.:Eeek:

atadloopy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2007
nottingham
Funster No
Exp
30+ years
waving

my gran told me if an AA or RAC motorcyclist did not wave when he saw your badge it was a warning that there was a police speed trap around the corner.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We always wave with the big yellow hand, that can be found on the back of the Motorhome Checklist. Guaranteed to raise a smile and get a wave back, even across the widest motorway. ::bigsmile:

Maybe I should put the yellow hand as a free download, so all you tight-wads that won't buy a checklist can wave the yellow hand too::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

N

Naughty Nigel

Deleted User
motorhome wave

After 30 odd years of motorcycling who also wave to each other (mostly) we too wave and flash , well the lights anyway. We haven`t been motorhoming long and on our first trip out in tinkerbell we were waved at by another mh and thought thats friendly lets continue and be sociable. So if you get a wave and a flash from a battered old swift wave back it might be us .Naughty Nigel

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I was driing along the A47 today and i noticed some motorhome and campervan drivers giving me a little friendly wave :Smile:

Then i thought, i`ll start to wave first, but when i did some just did`nt wave back and some did!

This set me thinking, should i wave or not?!, but i hate not wavin coz then i just feel ignorant if they wave and i dont, so i made up my mind, im gonna wave at all campervans and motorhomes, big, small, tatty or posh :thumb:

what are your thoughts on waving?? xjx

Good on you ...Go for it....its like smiling it does you good...here in France the French do it all the time its like the handshake they do....I always put my hand up/wave ( I am on French reg Plates)to a passing motorhomer, camper, any model, old or new, small or large, cheap or expensive....they all do it.......no barriers......but when I don't get one back you normally see a strange expression on the driver/passengers face thinking why is he waving to me do I know him, I look at the reg plates and yes it is Brit going home or a Brit just starting his holiday heading down south..... Try it .................

From a pleasant peasant born Yorkshireman now living in France....Mel

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Easier from the Hymer Driver::bigsmile:

Blisters

Free Member
Apr 2, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2006
We don't wave at anyone or anything,

We don't warn people who are approaching a speed trap, we hate happy people, and we especially hate those people who wave excitedly with both hands, happy :swear: or a big yellow hand

Why can't you all be miserable like us, as the goverment intended, we think we maybe we should be on the other side:ROFLMAO:

OK we wave really

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy: could find just a wave:thumb:

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
We wave unless we are on the Motorway, if people wave back all well and good if not we havent lost anything.

I remember when I worked for Mattessons and drove a 3.5ton fridge van, I pulled up in a layby outside a customers shop and there was a lady kneeling in front of her car, looking concerned. The guy I was with asked her what was wrong and she said people coming the other way kept pointing down at the front of her car with their thumb.:thumbdown:
(used to be signal for Police/Speed Trap ahead)

davetthedon

Free Member
Mar 25, 2009
Malvern, Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
GreatBig Bugger
Exp
Waving..... STOP IT NOW!!!

STOP!!!! :Angry::Angry:
Don't you all know its illegal in this fair country to take your hands off the steering wheel!! Christ, you cant eat, smoke, drink, phone, turn over the radio or pick your nose, cos if you do and the Brownite Policeman sees you, its off to jankers matey. Which is interesting as how are we supposed to change gear? :Blush:
Apart fom that, I wave and don't give a flying F!*% if they see me. :ROFLMAO:
My wife on the other hand only waves at "posh vans" (very Mrs Bucket), so VW's don't hold your breath! :Doh:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
my gran told me if an AA or RAC motorcyclist did not wave when he saw your badge it was a warning that there was a police speed trap around the corner.
How right she was, and it still holds good today
no salutes or waves at all:whatthe: and a speed trap round every corner:thumb:

scran

Free Member
Jan 22, 2008
washington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
wave

we always wave gran kids even look out for other camper vans and love to wave we must all be happy campers ::bigsmile:

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
mind you, being a black lab she'd wave, sing and dance for a bikkie :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Well no question I'd wave at any dog and Black Labs come right at the top of my list (Well almost since we currently have Newfies)

As for humans, well I'd wave at Wildman (He did the same for me recently when I was driving away with the roof light and side windows fully open :Blush:)

Think I'll have a policy of doing a 'little' wave, if I get a response I'll turn that into a 'big' wave (keeping one hand on the wheel at all times you understand ::bigsmile:)

And if no response well WTF lifes too short to worry about such things :RollEyes:

tintinold

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
3 Months
To wave or not.

I always wave, unless i havn't seen them until it's to late to wave, in which case i do
appologise.

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
We always wave with the big yellow hand, that can be found on the back of the Motorhome Checklist.

Jim, you'll be pleased to know I've now read the checklist and won't be driving away with all windows and roof lights open :Blush::RollEyes::ROFLMAO:

And, having coughed up and bought it I don't think you should put it on the site as a down load, well worth the money and totally reuseable, and as I've proved essential reading before setting off on a trip.

S

silversnail

Deleted User
Who remembers the AA & RAC motorcyclists who use to salute to members.:Eeek:

There was a REASON that AA motorcyclists used to salute AA badgeholders..... it was illegal for the patrolman to actively warn AA members that there were police ahead.....so they took to saluting.....if the AA-man DIDN'T salute , members suspected the fuzz were about, and the patrolman hadn't actually DONE anything to warn them...he's actually done NOTHING

New Rover

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Funster No
I keep my checklist on the dash with the Big Yellow Hand facing the windscreen but I still wave to ALL MHs, Campervans, RVs and any other vehicle which I think is being used for camping/wilding etc.
At Easter as I was travelling North in Scotland and the majority of vans were travelling South (at the end of the week-end), there were a lot of miserable faces but I guess it was because their "break" was over and they were travelling home.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back