To Warranty or not to Warranty??? (1 Viewer)

pelliott1954

Free Member
Sep 16, 2010
Funster No
Hello All,

Apart from my introductory thread yesterday (and thank you for the replies) this is my first post and first question on here.
Sue and I collect our 2007 Fiat based 2.3 mjet, Autotrail Cheyenne 635SE on Saturday 9th Oct.
I hope I got a good deal, it has only 4,300 miles and is immaculate, the dealer had it up for £34,995 originally, dropped it to £31,995 on the day we went by coincidence!! We didn't buy at the time but really liked it, having seen dozens if not hundreds!!! Thousands if you count looking on line!!
I wanted to check out the show at Lincoln first, just in case of end of season bargains and we didn't have a trade in so thought we might get something better. Anyway having braved the wind and rain at Lincoln we did find the absolute identical MH, very similar mileage 07 plate the same at £36,995. The dealer was prepared to come to £34k but no lower so off we went back to our original find.
I offered £29k but no luck, offered £30k along with a second battery and second gas bottle, level ramps and a hook up cable and 6 months warranty.
They agreed to the £30k and all the extras BUT without warranty.
As the MH has only done 4,300 miles and seems perfect I have accepted.
Now for the questions, have I got a good deal and secondly should I take out a Third Party warranty, I have a full value warranty offered via the dealer through Customer Protect at £465 approx for 12 months, £950 approx for 36 months.......................is it worth doing or not???? Or are there other better cheaper warranty providers out there??
Any help much appreciated. Regards Paul

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
it has to be fit for purpose

Hello All,

Apart from my introductory thread yesterday (and thank you for the replies) this is my first post and first question on here.
Sue and I collect our 2007 Fiat based 2.3 mjet, Autotrail Cheyenne 635SE on Saturday 9th Oct.
I hope I got a good deal, it has only 4,300 miles and is immaculate, the dealer had it up for £34,995 originally, dropped it to £31,995 on the day we went by coincidence!! We didn't buy at the time but really liked it, having seen dozens if not hundreds!!! Thousands if you count looking on line!!
I wanted to check out the show at Lincoln first, just in case of end of season bargains and we didn't have a trade in so thought we might get something better. Anyway having braved the wind and rain at Lincoln we did find the absolute identical MH, very similar mileage 07 plate the same at £36,995. The dealer was prepared to come to £34k but no lower so off we went back to our original find.
I offered £29k but no luck, offered £30k along with a second battery and second gas bottle, level ramps and a hook up cable and 6 months warranty.
They agreed to the £30k and all the extras BUT without warranty.
As the MH has only done 4,300 miles and seems perfect I have accepted.
Now for the questions, have I got a good deal and secondly should I take out a Third Party warranty, I have a full value warranty offered via the dealer through Customer Protect at £465 approx for 12 months, £950 approx for 36 months.......................is it worth doing or not???? Or are there other better cheaper warranty providers out there??
Any help much appreciated. Regards Paul

Firstly you do have the protect of the Sale of Goods Act.. the vehicle has to be fit for purpose. Regardless what deal you have done you cannot sign away your statutory rights. Any contract that attempts to do that will breach the Unfair Contract Terms Act.

As for after market warrenties???? well I have my doubts that they are all they are creaked up to be. It is very much reading the words of the contract.. i.e they may cover the engine, but what does it exclude? do they pay for someone to strip it down to find the fault or has it to expire first?

After sales warrenties are not folr me.. bit like paying for insurance protection on a loan bad news.

It is a young vehicle mileage wise and hopefully you will not have any issues. But regardless of the deal you did you still have the protection of the law.

Good luck

Bob:thumb:

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
I'm not a big fan of these warrenties/insurances either, they always seem to have get out clauses, but at the end of the day you take your chance either way. Best I could say is read and re read the terms and see if it really looks worth it.

Me, I wouldn't bother, I did maintain the serviceing some years ago on a Freelander because the LR warrenty looked good and worth it but it was part of the deal, mind you we had no problems so never got to find out if it was or wasn't.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Customer Protect at £465 approx for 12 months,....................is it worth doing or not???? l

We paid something like £260 for one year but when I read the documents it was one mass of ifs and buts, I thought we'd be lucky to make the right claim but never did. Ours was 4000 miles old too. Sort of new with any obvious build problems ( if any ) sorted.

I'd suggest you at least read the policy before shelling out that much.

Upvote 0

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
Those premiums will cover a lot of services. The only time they would give value for money is in the event of a catastrophic failure and in that case you would be lucky if they paid out. Too many get out clauses.
My opinion FWIW.

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I agree with all the posts.
Ignore what the dealer says as he is warranting plenty not least the mileage.

Just check your receipt to make sure the dealer is the seller rather than just being an agent for the owner on a commission. It might muddy the water a bit otherwise.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
one major drawback with these 'warrenties'.......go more than a couple of miles or a day or two over the manufacturers recommended service interval and they'll just laugh at you when you make a claim.

second drawback, YOU have to pay for the diagnosing and dismantling of the suspected broken part before they agree a claim.

a loose example of the limitations of cover....if the cooling fan breaks and damages the radiator...only the fan is covered, not the radiator.

not worth the paper its written on.

Upvote 0

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Bob beat me to the sale of goods act he cannot sell it without a warranty........As an ex motor trader extended warranties need to be looked at very VERY very closely......some will not take effect until you have had the vehicle for 3 months.......most will cover virtualy nothing.....there is usually a get out clause somewhere.

Now if the dealer has a good relationship with the warranty company rep as we did as a dealer with a good reputation it is supprising what they will pay for even if not covered.......In our case we claimed so very rarely we never had a problem......but to do that we only claimed through the rep if we had have gone direct then we would not have got paid out.

Are they worth it rarely.

All the best Rick

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

pelliott1954

Free Member
Sep 16, 2010
Funster No
To Warranty or not to Warranty

Hello Again All,

Just a quick line to say thank you to all who replied to my question about the worth of 3rd Party warranties.
You made the decision easy for me, I am not going to bother!!!

Now I am praying that it won't have the dreaded clutch judder in reverse.

I have been in touch with Fiat Service and actually found and talked to the garage that did all the recalls and some warranty jobs but clutch judder never done or mentioned by the previous owner, they remembered him well and said he would definitely have had it back to them if it had suffered with the problem.............Watch this space, I will let you know (no hills near me or the dealer when I did the test drive!!!!)

Paul

Upvote 0

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
out of interest

When at Lincoln I noticed a stall with a chap that was selling? advertising? information? on the clutch problems.. as we have a yank we had no need to ask for details, but I am sure someone will know who or what he was a bout and that may help someone else like our new friend.

Bob:Smile:

Upvote 0

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
DesDdonut have one of these chassis and he has never once felt the dread juddering

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
When at Lincoln I noticed a stall with a chap that was selling? advertising? information? on the clutch problems.. as we have a yank we had no need to ask for details, but I am sure someone will know who or what he was a bout and that may help someone else like our new friend.

Bob:Smile:
If I recall correctly Bob, it was something like Rockingham Auto's
All they seemed to be doing was towting for work, ie we can undertake the dreaded judder amongst other general servicing and repairs
Geo

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back