to venice or not to venice that is the question (1 Viewer)

paulus the woodgnome

Free Member
Sep 25, 2008
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
4 years 2 months
thinking of going to venice looks like a great campsite and great beach(marina di venezia)thinking of going from calais to luxembourg sat, stopping one night, sun driving to germany, stopping one night, mon travelling to venice, stopping seven nights, mon back to germany for two nights, wed back to luxemborg for two nights, friday near calais for 1 night and sat back through tunnel
does this sound feasable and what costs are involved,diesiel, tolls, etc is it worth the cost,
thinking about france, belguim, luxembourgh, germany to avoid tolls, switzerland with moterhome over 3.5 ton, italian toll roads
anybody been to this campsite
bit of travelling to get there or shall i just go to france again
thanks paulus

AdgeRas

Free Member
Sep 17, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
Exp
Hi there.

I can not give you a lot of info that you ask for, but I do know that if you were to drive down through France, you could then cross over into Italy without having to bother with Switzerland if thats going to cost you a lot of money due to the size of your MH.

Adge

OP
OP
paulus the woodgnome

paulus the woodgnome

Free Member
Sep 25, 2008
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
4 years 2 months
probably just going from calais in france to belguim as there are no tools that way rather then going on the french toll roads but thanks anyway

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

AdgeRas

Free Member
Sep 17, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
Exp
Hi again

Use the AA route planner, put that you want to avoid tolls etc, and put 'calais' to 'venice' via 'annecy'

You will enjoy that route, I have done it before it is good.

Adge

tommytli

Funster
May 26, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since july 07
we are going to stay there for a couple of days this year, but rather than paying the 50 euro or so a night campsite fees we are going to stay here dont know if it would suit you though

niblue

Free Member
May 22, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
C-class
Exp
We visited Venice with our motorhome a couple of summers ago. We also spent time in Germany and France but decided to avoid Switzerland because of the road-charging etc.

There are lots of sites along the coast beside Venice and you can get ferries from there into the town itself. Quite a few of the campsites are Eurocamp or similar though so don't expect them to be quiet - the one we used (I think we booked it via the C&CC) wasn't bad though.

One thing to bear in mind in summer though is that it's very hot. Our old motorhome didn't have aircon and we decided to leave Venice a couple of days early and cool down in the Alps in Austria instead. When we got the new van we decided aircon in the back was a must, but we've yet to use it in properly hot conditions.

allie sommerville

Free Member
Dec 30, 2009
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
conversion
Exp
We stayed at campeggio Miramare at the very tip of the Lagoon.
Great placing for the ferry to the city, and in quiet surroundings.

Get to the city early to avoid most of the crowds.

Kirstie

Free Member
May 25, 2010
Morecambe
Funster No
Exp
12 months
We stayed at Camping Ca'Savio last year. I didn't do the drive there but our route back was through Switzerland, France and Germany avoiding the toll roads.

Day one we travelled from the campsite to Bellinzona in Switzerland then drove over the St Gotthard Pass - brilliant views and scenery. Next day we travelled to Saarbrucken, but didnt like the look of the Stellplatz. Found another one by a Brauhaus on the road to Saarlouis.
Final day we travelled back to Calais and parked up with all the other motorhomes to wait a late night ferry before travelling back to the UK and sleeping at the services on the M20.

Italian tolls didn't seem to be too bad, and instead of the HGV Vignettte the Swiss sold my husband the 12 month one.

This year the plan is to go to Rome - overnight in Mons, then Frieburg, Bellinzona and lastly about 100 miles from Rome - so that we can get to the campsite earlier in the day.

After that we are touring around Italy and Switzerland.

Big Momma

Free Member
Oct 3, 2009
Funster No
Stayed at Marina De Venezia many years ago and loved it. Beach is fantastic, facilities on site excellent, although very busy in High season. We were loking at going next year, Calais to Campsite 890 miles (via France & Switzerland) with 2 night stops en route. There have been a lot of changes since our last visit, Big pool complex, Beach Bars at every entrance (5) and now Super Pitches for large M'Homes/RV's. The passenger foot ferry to Venice goes from Punta Sabbioni just down the road from the site as does another ferry which takes you on a 3 Island tour around the lagoon, one island is dedicated to Lace making, another to Murano glass and the third an old Monastry, not a bad day trip if you tire of laying on the beach. Yes it is expensive but the one thing you are guaranteed is miles of soft white sand (may need flip flops as sand is roasting) and sunshine :Cool:

territo

Free Member
May 16, 2009
In motorhome or in peru
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
There are several sites at Lido de Jesolo which is quite a nice place and there is a ferry to Venice not far from there - a bus ride. I travelled from Jesolo to Lake Garda for a few days and from there to the coast at Genoa and along the coast to Monaco and France. I too avoided the toll roads wherever possible. There is a municipal site at Loano which is worth staying at for a few days. From there you can get the train to Genoa or Monaco for a day visit. Have a nice trip.:thumb:

Bomber

Free Member
Mar 23, 2009
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
5 years
Hi,
We have travelled to Lido De Jesolo near Venice several times the last being last year and the next being this year, our motorhome is 5.5 tones and we always travel through switzerland (we stay over at lake Luzern). We by a ticket at the boarder crossing for a 10 day ticket to drive on any of their roads cost us 25euro,s. The 10 days only count for the number of days you are in Switzerland, so on the way down we stop 2 nights (3 days in country ) which leaves 7 days for on the way back. When you think about it quite cheap.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back