Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
Our niece Hannah is getting married to a Turkish man in October this year. We always make the effort to attend her weddings but we don't know what the prospect of driving the camper to Turkey might be.

My insurance is due for renewal in April and I'm anticipating green card problems. Any tips as to who to insure with, visas, permits would be much appreciated.

Styx

Free Member
May 1, 2010
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Our niece Hannah is getting married to a Turkish man in October this year. [HI]We always make the effort to attend her weddings[/HI] but we don't know what the prospect of driving the camper to Turkey might be...

:whatthe: Is she a nuptomaniac or just a sucker for punishment...? :winky:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Obviously just likes the taste of wedding cake:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I rode my motorbike through Turkey on the way to China a couple of years ago it's a fantastic country to visit. No visa required only potential problem is crossing the border from Greece. I use a German company for insurance on big journeys called Allesie if you need the contact details'm s pm me.
:thumb::thumb:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I think you do need a visa, available at the border for £10 (must be a £10 note) per person. Goodness knows where the money goes.

That's not a visa its corruption :winky:

I travelled with a guy from Huddersfield a few years ago on a bike trip who point blank refused to pay these backhanders at borders. He would stand up to them and argue for ages and hold everything up until eventually the guards would give in and let him through. Me I couldn't go through all that its easier to give them the tenner but for him it was a principle and he never did pay. We tried it in Tunisia (I think) a few years ago the guy stamped our passport then asked for a tenner I refused, the argument started as expected but instead of letting me through he pulled a gun on me ::bigsmile:. Needless to say I paid the tenner and got a royal bollocking from Jan for putting us at risk, so now I just pay up. :thumb:

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
That's not a visa its corruption :winky:

I travelled with a guy from Huddersfield a few years ago on a bike trip who point blank refused to pay these backhanders at borders. He would stand up to them and argue for ages and hold everything up until eventually the guards would give in and let him through. Me I couldn't go through all that its easier to give them the tenner but for him it was a principle and he never did pay. We tried it in Tunisia (I think) a few years ago the guy stamped our passport then asked for a tenner I refused, the argument started as expected but instead of letting me through he pulled a gun on me ::bigsmile:. Needless to say I paid the tenner and [HI]got a royal bollocking from Jan for putting us at risk[/HI], so now I just pay up. :thumb:

I think the gun was a safer bet::bigsmile:

PS...have a good ski trip:thumb:

Oct 8, 2013
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Ravenna
Exp
newguy
Do not try this in Turkey. A 10 quid online visa is 10 times less than Turks pay to come to the Uk. In Turkey you will be turned back or arrested.

Turkish authorities have unlimited punishments and you have no right of recourse against the Turkish state.

Steve.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I think the gun was a safer bet::bigsmile:

PS...have a good ski trip:thumb:

Changed chunnel til Weds now, Jans mum is out of hospital but still not well. See how she is next week if no better we'll have to forgo skiing this year. :cry::cry:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I got held up for hours driving into Saudi Arabia once. It got to the stage they were unscrewing bits of the car. It turned out the customs officer just wanted a little gift such as a tin of tomatoes. Once I'd worked this out (brain defuddled by the heat) all was smiles and we could proceed. Best to play the game I think.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I got held up for hours driving into Saudi Arabia once. It got to the stage they were unscrewing bits of the car. It turned out the customs officer just wanted a little gift such as a tin of tomatoes. Once I'd worked this out (brain defuddled by the heat) all was smiles and we could proceed. Best to play the game I think.

You got it :thumb:
That's how it works once you leave mainland Europe like it or not. Never mind what the regulations say this is the real world. ::bigsmile:

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
We have dear deceased Margaret Thatcher to thank for the £10 visa entry to Turkiye. Her government imposed a substantial entry visa to Turks entering the UK and Turkey imposed the £10 as a tit for tat retaliation. Its been this among to enter Turkiye for 20 years or more to our certain knowledge. :thumb:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The OPs niece is marrying a Turkish guy so let's not be too dismissive of their country.

Good point. Funster instincts kicking in there. Turkey is a great country.

Driving to Turkey has the problem you will leave the EU at some point around the former Yugoslavia and this will create insurance problems. They are not insurmountable but need to be factored in.

The alternative is a ferry from Italy. This is a well trodden path and probably best for attending a wedding. Good luck whichever you choose.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back