Free Member
Jul 20, 2009
Towcester
Funster No
MH
A class Concorde liner 89
Exp
Since 2011
Following on from an earlier post, how do people get round the 8.25 tonnes train weight limit when they are towing a car on an a frame? This assumes you have grand father rights to drive up to 7.5t and you are allowed to tow up to 750kg to in total 8.25 tonnes.

I assume an a frame is no different to a trailer - or am I wrong?

I'm genuinely interested as until last week I thought I could go a lot higher on trailer weight behind a motor home but now know if I want to, I need to get an upgrade to my license.

PeteS

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Tunbridge wells
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
35yrs
Following on from an earlier post, how do people get round the 8.25 tonnes train weight limit when they are towing a car on an a frame? This assumes you have grand father rights to drive up to 7.5t and you are allowed to tow up to 750kg to in total 8.25 tonnes.

I'm genuinely interested as until last week I thought I could go a lot higher on trailer weight behind a motor home but now know if I want to, I need to get an upgrade to my license.
Your right someone on another forum was nicked last week for towing over 750kg in the UK.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeteS

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Tunbridge wells
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
35yrs
C1 or C1E
Category C1
You can drive vehicles between 3,500 and 7,500kg MAM (with a trailer up to 750kg).

Category C1E
You can drive C1 category vehicles with a trailer over 750kg, but the trailer - when fully loaded - can’t weigh more than the vehicle.

The combined MAM of both can’t exceed 12,000kg.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

Deleted

Martin

PeteS

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Tunbridge wells
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
35yrs
But if you have C1E with 107 at the end then you can only tow 750kg

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
If i had to rely on a car for transport it would be towing a caravan not be towed behind a Motorhome,,Cannot make sense of it practically or economically ,,,Just my opinion,,BUSBY.

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
I am at a loss to know why people tow cars behind their motorhome. Is it just as well to buy a car and a caravan and I reckon it would be cheaper than an expensive MH & trailer & car. With MH and car you can't visit those little villages there not many aires you can stay in and must of time you have to stay on site.

Why do you tow?

Colyboy

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I am at a loss to know why people tow cars behind their motorhome. Is it just as well to buy a car and a caravan and I reckon it would be cheaper than an expensive MH & trailer & car. With MH and car you can't visit those little villages there not many aires you can stay in and must of time you have to stay on site.

Why do you tow?

Colyboy
For me it's just another facility to enjoy along with the MH. I can choose whether to take it or not (although I take it most of the time), it's a car we already owned, and towing a small trailer is nothing like towing a van. (We caravaned for 25 years before buying our first MH.) If we're 'proper' MHing I don't need it because we move on regularly but if we're on site for 5 or more days with friends we use a full awning so the car is useful. The car (a Smart) is the only other vehicle we own and suits us well - if we towed a van we'd need something rather larger and heavier. So far we haven't found anywhere that we've been unable visit with a small trailer on the back & it hasn't been an issue on any site we've visited.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back