Feb 23, 2009
coventry , warwickshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
20+ if you include vw campers and the like
any views on this

old motorhome e745 , 2.8 fiat no problem with fuel towing, new e789 3.0 fiat does not like 1.5t behind it as fuel drops rapid so a framed rav 4 now stripped and gone, got a dead sensible car for behind mh a nissan pixo, weight 2 bags of potatoes, £20 road tax, and a never ending fuel tank

after a braked a framed ka, a totally illegal non braked home made a frame nippa, braked a frame rav 4 , we are going around in circles as how to tow new car, do not want to take it out of uk

trailer up side , totally legal , can recover a lot of money when sell it
trailer down side, extra weight, storage when on a site, strapping car down and hooking up, extra length of unit
a frame up side , can hook up and run in 5 minutes max, less weight, less outlay
a frame down side , will these remain legal in uk, cost of install not recoverable when eventually sell car

i think steering toward a frame yet again

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
TOAD

Short and sweet if in the uk only,A-frame without a doubt:thumb:
brian jo and josh

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have Brian James trailer and Car a tow A frame for my P107 . Never use the trailer here, always A frame, convenient, secure and no hassle on site :thumb:

OP
OP
robinmclaren

robinmclaren

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
coventry , warwickshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
armitage

just spoke to armitage and happy as always with their service, dot advice is after 20114 existing a frames still fine and may be no changes to new installs either , france now has a frame fitting centres, spain is apparently seeing a frames as a nice little earner at present to boost their income

i am yet again convinced :thumb::thumb:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
just spoke to armitage and happy as always with their service, dot advice is after [HI]20114[/HI] existing a frames still fine and may be no changes to new installs either , france now has a frame fitting centres, spain is apparently seeing a frames as a nice little earner at present to boost their income

i am yet again convinced :thumb::thumb:

That's a relief.......don't think any of us have to worry then:winky:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
just check the difference between max weight and train weight of the motorhome and make sure the max weight on the plate on the car is under that figure.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Sorry if this is a dumb question but, if A-frames are 100% safe under all driving conditions, convenient, secure and no hassle on site, then why are they illegal in a growing number of countries. Something don't equate.:whatthe:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
it is Buttons a bit like the French

Sorry if this is a dumb question but, if A-frames are 100% safe under all driving conditions, convenient, secure and no hassle on site, then why are they illegal in a growing number of countries. Something don't equate.:whatthe:

You know Buttons, it is a bit like the French.. one law for them and one for us... they just ignore the law if they do not like it.

Same with A frames.. despite what the Construction regulations say... the British that own the A Frames just ignore the law.

I have yet managed to find a maker that can show me where it says in the Construction Regulations (Road Traffic Acts) that is is legal to not be able to back them ... I am not talking of a couple of feet, I am talking like backing a trailer or caravan up.

It is not legal.. simple as that. Oh I love a good toad fight:winky:

Bob:Smile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
You know Buttons, it is a bit like the French.. one law for them and one for us... they just ignore the law if they do not like it.

Same with A frames.. despite what the Construction regulations say... the British that own the A Frames just ignore the law.

I have yet managed to find a maker that can show me where it says in the Construction Regulations (Road Traffic Acts) that is is legal to not be able to back them ... I am not talking of a couple of feet, I am talking like backing a trailer or caravan up.

Having watched the antics of some reversing a CAR into a parking space is beyond there capabilities. Reversing a caravan or trailer would be a non existent task. Having said that it is possible to reverse with an Aframe, but you do need a reversing camera.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Sorry Bob I hadn't realised that this subject had some history. Are you suggesting that it is not possible to reverse with an A-frame attached. Snowbird says it is possible, you cant both be correct. Still confused:Wacko::Wacko:

OP
OP
robinmclaren

robinmclaren

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
coventry , warwickshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
it is possible to reverse very carefully with a.frame but easier if you take brake connection off , my feeling is la car is on the road and mot each year is safer to tow than a trailer used few times a year so tires sitting longer unused , see all the caravans with blowouts in july compared to cars , i nearly converted to a trailer but then saw the light :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years

probably because current laws were not written to encompass A frames easily.
If you think about it ......A secure A frame method has to be more stable.....having a lower centre of gravity and a wheel at each corner
and a more sophisticated braking method.

What designer with a blank sheet of paper... would end up putting something with 4 wheels up high ontop of something with less inherent stabilty...that is more difficult to use ...takes more time and effort to secure to the towing vehicle... has an antiquated braking system
and need to be stored at home and onsite...and potentially costs more.

It might fall foul of some laws....... so change the laws.And improve detailed specifications.
The A frame has to be the way to go and it cant be beyond polititians and designers to embrace its obvious benefits.

Now Bob is a lawyer.......so just expect a lawyers opinion...he may well be correct but lawyers comment on the past and enjoy being right. .......designers have a vision of the future and then create it .

barry

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
with a brake system working off the brake lights on the car ,you dont need to do anything . or the hydraulic ram system .they only work when you put the brakes on .
as to bob there is no mention anywhere that they are legal .
but there are definitions that say how or what makes them illegal if they dont come up to a standard . thats how british law works . at the moment there isnt any thing written that says they are illegal, so we play tennis with words .
i say some are ,some arent . as to reversing the written law doesnt say how far you have to reverse or that you must reverse around corners etc .
we can go on for ever . but they cant be illegal . but could be restricted use.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
weren't a frames originally designed for un manned transportation of heavy army vehicles??

i seem to remember seeing such things as a 6 axle truck being towed behind another one and there were no brakes attached.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
thats a possibilty . today there would be a connection .you need air to get the brakes off on many vehicles .
for recovery brakes on the towed vehicle arent needed thats why they restrict the speeds . like the tow dollies .
lots of trucks have big eyes still on the front just for towing .
i made some for mine just in case . two strong tow poles to a commercial pin hitch and you have an a frame .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back