To Spain without tolls

Discussion in 'Spain' started by funflair, Jan 25, 2016.

1. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Well we aren't there yet BUT, we got off the ferry at Zeebrugge and set Co-pilot for our first stop which is usually at Marboue just over 300 miles from the ferry, my profile is set to avoid tolls if possible so we thought we would just see where it took us. Usually we stay on the coast road past Calais A16 and A28 to Rouen and then N154 to join the N10 at Chatres, this costs about Euro 28 in tolls for a class 3 beast like ours.

We headed towards Brugge and then cut off a little corner that TomTom never did for us, we picked up the coast road for a while and then "she" aren't they all she's, said turn onto the D300 towards St Omer well that was certainly new to us, it's not as fast as the motorway as apart from anything there are a lot of roundabouts, but it does cut off the corner off and it was a pleasant drive, we joined the A28 just after Abbeville when again it was toll free, straight through Rouen and past the cows on the roundabout and then another little detour to save a few Euros and then back on our usual route.

Was it worth it? Well it was pleasant enough, it was a bit different, a bit shorter and we saved 28 Euros, oh and it took the same time as last year which was 8 hours.

The next challenge is to see what it does about the couple of Euro tolls around Tours and then avoid the "rip off" around Bordeaux, Too be continued.

Martin

• Useful Useful x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. moulin 87

moulin 87 Funster

The D300 is a good alternative to the A26, easy from Dunkirk as well.

There is always a trade off with tolls, Tours it may be easier to pay the small toll than fight your way through, depending on the time of day...Bordeaux ring road is free but trying to avoid tolls from North of Bayonne perhaps from Jnct 8 of the A63 is counter productive as the non toll alternative is very built up....

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I didn't think you paid to get round Bordeaux but you definitely get your pocket dipped getting from there to the border at Irun, the new bit at least, you can still get a long way without paying

I have read but cant find it now that if you come off at one of the junctions on the new motorway and return on the next in a mile or so you save a chunk of money

I have decided we will be going over the mountains next time, (weather / time of year dependent I guess), the new motorway follows the line of the old road so there really is no simple alternative without going miles round, so you might as well totally reroute :)

4. canopus

canopus Funster Life Member

If you do have to go on the unmanned toll roads be sure to press the intercom at the toll and let them know you are a 'camping car'.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

that was the section that we did just that last year and got reduced from class 3 to 2, but have since been told that we really are class 3, but I think it halved the tolls (y)

• Like Like x 1
  6. funflair

Day two.

We are at Nersac just South of Angouleme, I thought we would be paying to get through Tours as the route on CoPilot looked very much like what we did last year and paid the small toll, I set a "no tolls" route into TomTom as well and it would have taken us through the houses and we could still be there for all I know, with CoPilot we joined the motorway at junction 20 and came off at 22 which is the bit through the centre and over the rivers we then followed the D910 to and around Poitiers and it eventually became the N10 which was decent dual carriageway for about 70 miles, the D910 especially around Poitiers has far too many roundabouts and traffic light and did become a PIT bum, I do like going through all the villages though. To sum up, 200 miles with two stops in 6 hours.

So far not paid a cent so we will see what tomorrow brings around Bordeaux.

Martin

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Hello Martin

Are you also finding free aires? Presuming you are on a aire tonight :)

we can turn this into a full travel report yet (y)

• Like Like x 3
  8. pjay

pjay Funster

Two possible options from Bordeaux...

South of Bordeaux come off A63 at J18 and do a dog leg coming back on to A63 at J17 (poss ons at Pissos behind church)
    Then carry on down A63 and come off at J12, down D947 to Dax, then join D824/D810 (good ons at St Pierre de Dax) then back onto A63 at J7

Or...

South of Bordeaux, come off the A 63 at J18 then follow the D834 down to Mont de Marsan then D824/D810 along past Dax and back onto A63 at J7.

Either way should save you about €15/€16 in tolls (class 2). Tolled from there to Spanish border but worth paying on that stretch.

We've tried the 1st option and it worked well if you're in no hurry, probably going to try the 2nd one this year.

Pete

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. funflair

Hi Ken

Tried that on the Bordeaux tolls and got the fright of my life when two "yellow jackets" came out of the booth armed with a tape measure, the first time she knocked it down to class 2 but the second toll they said "giant" and made us pay but the tolls appeared to be on emission class rather than weight and if we wanted to argue we had to get all our paperwork out. What we objected to was the fact that a car was Euro 3.50 class 2 was Euro 5.60 and they wanted Euro 14.40 off us, and I think there are three of those booths.

Martin

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Xabia

Xabia Funster

Been reading your thread with interest Martin. I have always stuck to the motorway to Tours and sometimes gone via Nersac to Bordeaux. My question is, what is the route like from Rouen to Tours via Evreux and Chartres. Is there much dual carriageway and is it advisable to travel on Sunday when the lorries are off the road.

Mike

11. funflair

E

12. funflair

Yes David, first night Marboue and tonight Nersac which has free electric as well but I think that is a bit too generous so I will use my batteries as we now have 4(y)

If we get to San Sebastián tomorrow night we pay at the one near the university.

Martin

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. moulin 87

moulin 87 Funster

Nersac to south of Bordeaux is free and easy, there are two options around Bordeaux, we take the N230 option as we find it less congested than the Merignac option past the airport. The tolls start at junct 19? I think but after junct 8 if you ignore the motorway, the traffic, roundabouts, etc you'll think your journey around Poitiers a pleasure......

• Like Like x 2
  14. funflair

Hi Mike

No not much dual carriageway but it's OK and not too busy, we did it Monday this time and no problems just do about 50 to 55 and go with the flow, we have always used this route even in our caravan days.

Martin

• Like Like x 5
  15. Xabia

Xabia Funster

Hi Martin,

Thanks for that, I'll give it a go when I go down in March.

16. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Hello Martin

How was the aire at Nersac? that is more or less our location for night three in two weeks, we stayed at Chasseneuif - sur - Bonnieure a few miles above Angouleme, that was OK, but nowhere decent to eat, but right next to supermarket if we hadn't arrived too late (y)

17. funflair

:WelcomeFlag: Welcome to Spain, we have arrived at San Sebastián.

In tolls we have paid exactly nothing, zilch,nada, nowt, ZERO.

OK a little bit would not have hurt but has been interesting going without. We are 8.5 metres and nearly 6 tons and have not had any problems.

Today was the stretch from Nersac which is close to Angouleme so we started on the N10/A10 and the the A63 which is a good motorway but has a toll after junction 18 so we had a little detour along the D834 through Moustey and then right at Pissos and joined the motorway at junction 17, these two villages were very pretty and would make a nice coffee stop. The A63 is a good motorway but borrrrriing so coming off now and again is a relief.
    We then came off again at junction 12 and followed the D824/D810 through Dax and then Bayonne, Biarritz and St Jean de Luz before arriving at San Sebastián.

230 miles in 7 hours with a stop for gas and one for lunch, nice drive but again the last 40 miles are pretty slow.

The temperature was 21 degrees this afternoon and the diesel in Spain is 77.9 cents per litre.

With the money we have saved we have just paid €3.25 on the Aire in San Sebastián.

Martin

• Like Like x 3
  18. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

Hi Martin,

We did that little bit (Dax to the border) last year on our way to Hondarriaba.
    Even this Tyke wouldn't do that again. I'd put my hand in my pocket, stretch riiiggggghhhhhhhht down to the bottom (somewhere near my ankles:D:D:D) and very grudgingly pay up.
    I know french fuel is cheap but the alternative is so urban with loads of traffic and squillions of lights etc, I don't think the difference in cost is worth it.
    Even SWMBO agreed with me on this one (So it must be true(y))

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Nirvanauk

Nirvanauk Funster

Just think how much nicer the drive would have been if you hadn't been such a tight wad and paid up for a few tolls.:whistle:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. funflair

I enjoyed it for some of the nice views, and it has been a lovely day but I might not choose to do it every time as it could get a bit tedious.

Martin