To register now or wait to 2016

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Howard H, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Howard H

Howard H Funster Life Member

At last we have had the phone call off marquis to tell us our new benimar 294 is in their yard and can be collected in 10 days time ,why 10 days I do not know !. But my problem now is do I get them to register it now or wait to January when it would be a 2016 in the log book does anyone know if that would make much financial difference when I come to sell it. My heart says get it now but my head says wait a month ,what's every one think ?

2. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster

The 10 day wait may well be for the registration to be completed. I was told 14 days from delivery.

• Like Like x 1
  3. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

It will be a 65 registration whatever you do but I suspect the salesman will want it collected this month so he can get his commission and meet any end of year sales targets. :) If you can get them to delay registration and you are in no hurry then by all means postpone collection, assuming they don't charge you for storage!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Howard H

I also wanted to try it out at my local site at Chipping over the xmas /new year but I believe the site is full with some motorhome forum club :(:)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gellyneck

Gellyneck Funster Life Member

You'd better make sure they haven't already or planning to do imminently.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Padraigpost

Padraigpost Funster

I had the same thing with my previous van which Marquis advised me was ready for collection in December 2011, I foolishly agreed to this and collected the van mid December and regretted it, the salesman will tell you it makes no differance to a trade in but when trade in time comes it is still a 2015 van and may tempt a potential buyer to go for a 2016 registered one. I would tell the Dealer NOT under any circumstances get the van registered before January as I am certain you will like me regret it.
    Don

• Like Like x 3
  7. Howard H

To late it's fully booked by people that are organised :) not to worry there is always my driveway

8. Zains Pops

Zains Pops Funster

I would be surprised if they delay registration to January. They want to log the sale now in 2015.
    Be careful that by agreeing to collect Jan 1st you are not simply picking up a MH registered in 2015 in 2016!!
    For resale a 2016 registered MH will always be worth a few bob more than a December 2015 registration, but hey ho you ordered the MH to use and enjoy and not to worry over a few quid on trade in at some time in the future. A similar worry could be over mileages, which could cause you to not use your new toy in case you had a higher mileage on trade in.
    Don't worry about it, just enjoy it!

• Like Like x 5
  9. The Wino

The Wino Funster

It will be the date of registration not collection that might affect value ypu might need to get your skates on if you want to delay registration until January!!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Gellyneck

Gellyneck Funster Life Member

OK here's the Scotsman coming out in me now!:wink:

If you collect in 10 days that'll be 11 \ 12th December and you'll have "lost" 10 \ 11 days on the road tax whereas if you collect on 2 January (and it's registered \ taxed then) you only lose 1 \ 2 days!:clap2:
    Also, solves a problem for the nearest and dearest what to give you for a Christmas pressie for a number of years!(y) £165 cash for the road tax.
    This information service is brought to you free of charge from a tight ar**ed Scotsman.:notworthy2: Bet you've never heard that before.:)

• Like Like x 6
  11. mickyc

mickyc Read Only Funster

It depends on what you class as "value"

Residuals, or enjoyment of your new van over the Christmas period.

Only you can answer that.

Personally I'd fetch the van and be grinning like the Cheshire cat all through the Christmas period.

Sod the finances, you didn't buy it to sell it.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Howard H

I like the your reasoning and what better present could the other half have What with that and the new hover she wants that could be Christmas sorted . I must go now and remove her foot from my ar@e

13. Howard H

Mickyc you have just convinced me ,you are spot on 2015 she will be ,I think

14. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster

My MH is due on the 12 Dec and no way i would put this off until the new year just to get a '16 plate. Mind you this is hopefully our forever MH and one year over many wont make a difference. Any way, your milage will reflect as very low for a '65 as opposed to just right for a '16 when you do sell it.;)(y)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Depends on how long you plan to keep it, if you are likely to change it during the next 5 years a 2015 van will be worth less than a 2016 particularly if you are going to trade it. If you are going to keep it 10 - 15 years won't make much difference to the price when you come to sell.
    For the sake of a couple of weeks that are have a good chance of miserable weather I would wait.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Badknee

Badknee Funster

It's not about plate numbers but date registered. Does he want a 2015 year van on the drive or a 2016 that's all. My vote would be to buy a 2016 van.(y)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster

As plate number comes with date registered they must be one of the same. The van is already a 2015

18. Badknee

Badknee Funster

No they don't. If registered today it will be a 65 plate 2015, if registered in Jan it will be a 65 plate 2016. It won't be a 16 plate 2016 till March.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster

Got ya

• Like Like x 1
  20. madgeD

madgeD Funster

The same happened to us we got our 2013 model Autocruise in Oct; 2012 ,it doesn't make much difference its the vans condition that sells it I think! they probably wouldn't have kept it anyway.

• Like Like x 1