To poo ... or not to poo ... that is the question

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Liane, May 5, 2010.

1. Liane

Liane Read Only Funster

Can one ask, is it the done thing to have a poo on the loo in a motorhome? Personally, I can't see anything wrong with it, but my other half says it's just not the done thing. :Rofl1: With two young children who quite frankly want to poo at the most inconvenient times, i.e., first thing in the morning before I've made myself look half decent for a walk across a field, I am happy to let them poo on the loo in the motorhome. I found a good tip to facilitate this without making a horrible mess (see below) and I am quite happy to be the one who has the "job" :Wink: of emptying the cassette since they are my children. What do others think? :Smile:

Tip: flush a bit to wet the sides of the toilet, open hatch, close hatch. Line the toilet with an opened out cheap paper napkin, poo, flush whilst opening hatch. Poo is nicely parcelled and drops through. Result, one unmarked loo. :)

2. Jim

Jim Ringleader

We Poo:thumb:

3. Dodgey

Dodgey Funster

Poo in the loo, who'd do such a thing:Rofl1:

It's what it there for amoungst other things, just open a vent/window.

Paper napkin, mmm, you probably wont have to much bother though the sites or wherever you empty may, depends how well they disolve?

4. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Strange question - why do you think motorhomes have toilets?
    If your other half is concerned about smells filling the van, fit a Sog, then, regardless of whether you choose to forego chemicals or not, the downdraught will pull smells out of the van.

Philip

5. dazzer

dazzer Read Only Funster

Are yes Jim but you have an RV toilet :thumb: which as we all know is as good as the one at home.:BigGrin:

Got to be honest and say if I was the one dragging the cassette thing around i wouldnt be wanting to much to add to the "bulk" of the load :Eeek:

6. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Why close the hatch ?

This has to be one of the strangest questions ever asked on a MH forum. It's a toilet not a urinal, says so on the tin.

7. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

Liane,
    I think your significant other is being a bit 'anal',thats whats its for.
    Does he empty it?

8. madbluemad

madbluemad

Go for it Liane, let it rip. :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:
    Jim
    :Wink:

9. dryad

dryad Funster

:Rofl1: when you gotta go, you gotta go..and we all need too, sooner or later.:BigGrin:
    personally, have a small camper with no seperate loo, so have got a 'toilet tent', okay, everyone knows why you're in there :Blush: , but hey, it keeps the smells outside..

10. Amanda

Amanda Read Only Funster

sorry hee hee

Sorry could not resist this joke in this thread

Why did tigger look down the toilet ?

He was looking for poo ! :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::thumb:

11. creativeglenn

creativeglenn Read Only Funster

We have a sog and they are not too good.
    We dont crap in the van as when on a long break its not nice having it stink up the place when you move it just agitates the smell.
    We dont use chemicals as they also stink and are terrible for the planet.
    IM planning to have a mecerator pump and pump everything as liquid into a holding tank under the van.
    For now its in a newspaper and a carry bag lol.

12. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

They are designed to be used so use them, if its a cassette and if you use chemicals it does break it down a bit, we have never given it a second thought, apart from placing some toilet roll over the bottom blade bit so that doesnt get covered in stuff. hehehe your other half should worry wait till you maybe buy one with a tank to empty rather than just a cassette that holds a few litres of the stuff.

13. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

Liane

No question is a silly question:Wink:

We have all been there:Blush:

14. hallii

hallii Read Only Funster

A most interesting topic this one.

I have just bought a second hand motorhome and the toilet is hardly used. It is like brand new.

So I guess it hasn't been used much.

It will get a lot more use from us I can assure you, we wild camp through France and Spain and I have just ordered a spare cassette so that we can double up in case of need!

Use it, that is what it is for, as regards emptying it, I don't give it a second thought, it is interesting how everybody's liquid poo looks and smells the same!

Just learn to avoid splash back (pour gently) and do not use a drinking water tap to fill your dirty tank. Use a clean container and carry it to the cassette.

Now, onto another subject, does one open the flap before using the loo or do you poo onto the blade and open afterwards?

Well, if you poo onto the blade without opening it it tends to leave things a bit messy.

But if you open the flap and use it you will find that the hole is perfectly placed and solids will drop through without touching the sides, I believe that to achieve this level of accuracy a member of the design team used a sheet of clear plastic and a permanent marker pen!

So we open the flap.

Let's have more posts like this, very interesting.

Hallii

15. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Well, we only stay on sites so its a big no no except for the kids.

I accept though that a loo is a loo but a confined space is a confined space.

16. shortcircuit

shortcircuit Read Only Funster

Having brought up two children in the days before disposable nappies, when the linen liner had to be cleaned off before being washed, poo presents no problems. If its on the side of the bowl, flush and wipe away with your hand, after all, it has come out of your body and your going to wash your hands anyway

Napkins, tissues, bah, Modern generation ?????

17. 6pm Cowboy

6pm Cowboy Read Only Funster

We used one in the house recently for about 3 weeks while I was rebuilding the bathroom. Cant say the smell was a problem.

Ok, who's going to say it ?

18. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

We use a lot of sites without toilets or showers. That is why the m/home has them:Eeek:
    I remember some years ago taking friends on a walk. After a while in the depths of the North Yorks Moors friends wifey asked "what do you do when you need a pee?" I said pick a bush!!!:Blush: Oh I can't do that, she said. Guess what she did!!!:Rofl1:
    I don't find the loo things a problem, we all have to go sooner or later, and yes I do the emptying tho Steph says it would not bother her either. :BigGrin:

19. ddavewoods

ddavewoods Read Only Funster

We try not to use the loo for number 2's if theres a site toilet available, but if you gotta go you gotta lol

20. vwalan

vwalan Funster

use it . dont usechemicals .
    never wash the inside with bleach or anything at all .you need lots of bacteria living in the cassette or tank.
    it helps to peein some other container as too much water washes the bacteria away.
    best to not empty it even if van not going to be used for months .
    living bacteria is the answer to killing smell and breaking it down.
    visit your local sewage works and speak to the workers they know about it. cheers alan.