To poo ... or not to poo ... that is the question (1 Viewer)

Liane

Free Member
May 5, 2010
Reading, Berkshire
Funster No
Exp
Since April 2010
Can one ask, is it the done thing to have a poo on the loo in a motorhome? Personally, I can't see anything wrong with it, but my other half says it's just not the done thing. :ROFLMAO: With two young children who quite frankly want to poo at the most inconvenient times, i.e., first thing in the morning before I've made myself look half decent for a walk across a field, I am happy to let them poo on the loo in the motorhome. I found a good tip to facilitate this without making a horrible mess (see below) and I am quite happy to be the one who has the "job" :winky: of emptying the cassette since they are my children. What do others think? :Smile:

Tip: flush a bit to wet the sides of the toilet, open hatch, close hatch. Line the toilet with an opened out cheap paper napkin, poo, flush whilst opening hatch. Poo is nicely parcelled and drops through. Result, one unmarked loo. :)

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Poo in the loo, who'd do such a thing:ROFLMAO:

It's what it there for amoungst other things, just open a vent/window.

Paper napkin, mmm, you probably wont have to much bother though the sites or wherever you empty may, depends how well they disolve?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Strange question - why do you think motorhomes have toilets?
If your other half is concerned about smells filling the van, fit a Sog, then, regardless of whether you choose to forego chemicals or not, the downdraught will pull smells out of the van.

Philip

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
We Poo:thumb:

Are yes Jim but you have an RV toilet :thumb: which as we all know is as good as the one at home.::bigsmile:

Got to be honest and say if I was the one dragging the cassette thing around i wouldnt be wanting to much to add to the "bulk" of the load :Eeek:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Tip: flush a bit to wet the sides of the toilet, open hatch, close hatch.

Why close the hatch ?

This has to be one of the strangest questions ever asked on a MH forum. It's a toilet not a urinal, says so on the tin.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Liane,
I think your significant other is being a bit 'anal',thats whats its for.
Does he empty it?

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
:ROFLMAO: when you gotta go, you gotta go..and we all need too, sooner or later.::bigsmile:
personally, have a small camper with no seperate loo, so have got a 'toilet tent', okay, everyone knows why you're in there :Blush: , but hey, it keeps the smells outside..

Amanda

Free Member
Apr 30, 2010
shropshire
Funster No
MH
sundance 630g
Exp
since 2006 with my mom & dad
sorry hee hee

Sorry could not resist this joke in this thread

Why did tigger look down the toilet ?

He was looking for poo ! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::thumb:

creativeglenn

Free Member
Jan 12, 2010
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
8 years
We have a sog and they are not too good.
We dont crap in the van as when on a long break its not nice having it stink up the place when you move it just agitates the smell.
We dont use chemicals as they also stink and are terrible for the planet.
IM planning to have a mecerator pump and pump everything as liquid into a holding tank under the van.
For now its in a newspaper and a carry bag lol.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
They are designed to be used so use them, if its a cassette and if you use chemicals it does break it down a bit, we have never given it a second thought, apart from placing some toilet roll over the bottom blade bit so that doesnt get covered in stuff. hehehe your other half should worry wait till you maybe buy one with a tank to empty rather than just a cassette that holds a few litres of the stuff.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Liane

No question is a silly question:winky:

We have all been there:Blush:

hallii

Free Member
Apr 23, 2010
Worcestershire
Funster No
Exp
20 or so
A most interesting topic this one.

I have just bought a second hand motorhome and the toilet is hardly used. It is like brand new.

So I guess it hasn't been used much.

It will get a lot more use from us I can assure you, we wild camp through France and Spain and I have just ordered a spare cassette so that we can double up in case of need!

Use it, that is what it is for, as regards emptying it, I don't give it a second thought, it is interesting how everybody's liquid poo looks and smells the same!

Just learn to avoid splash back (pour gently) and do not use a drinking water tap to fill your dirty tank. Use a clean container and carry it to the cassette.

Now, onto another subject, does one open the flap before using the loo or do you poo onto the blade and open afterwards?

Well, if you poo onto the blade without opening it it tends to leave things a bit messy.

But if you open the flap and use it you will find that the hole is perfectly placed and solids will drop through without touching the sides, I believe that to achieve this level of accuracy a member of the design team used a sheet of clear plastic and a permanent marker pen!

So we open the flap.

Let's have more posts like this, very interesting.

Hallii

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Well, we only stay on sites so its a big no no except for the kids.

I accept though that a loo is a loo but a confined space is a confined space.

shortcircuit

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Funster No
Having brought up two children in the days before disposable nappies, when the linen liner had to be cleaned off before being washed, poo presents no problems. If its on the side of the bowl, flush and wipe away with your hand, after all, it has come out of your body and your going to wash your hands anyway

Napkins, tissues, bah, Modern generation ?????

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
We used one in the house recently for about 3 weeks while I was rebuilding the bathroom. Cant say the smell was a problem.

Ok, who's going to say it ?

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font VendĂ´me
Exp
Since 2004
We use a lot of sites without toilets or showers. That is why the m/home has them:Eeek:
I remember some years ago taking friends on a walk. After a while in the depths of the North Yorks Moors friends wifey asked "what do you do when you need a pee?" I said pick a bush!!!:Blush: Oh I can't do that, she said. Guess what she did!!!:ROFLMAO:
I don't find the loo things a problem, we all have to go sooner or later, and yes I do the emptying tho Steph says it would not bother her either. ::bigsmile:

ddavewoods

Free Member
Jan 9, 2010
South West
Funster No
Exp
We try not to use the loo for number 2's if theres a site toilet available, but if you gotta go you gotta lol

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
use it . dont usechemicals .
never wash the inside with bleach or anything at all .you need lots of bacteria living in the cassette or tank.
it helps to peein some other container as too much water washes the bacteria away.
best to not empty it even if van not going to be used for months .
living bacteria is the answer to killing smell and breaking it down.
visit your local sewage works and speak to the workers they know about it. cheers alan.

Euromobil

Free Member
Jun 23, 2009
hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2010
not only do we use it but, and its a big but, the last one to use (i.e. fill) it, empties it:thumb:

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
For the first few months Neil said it was a no, no, but now he oftens writes the toilet off.

We cant leave our flap open, however we fill it with some water and pink stuff first, and afterwards.

The toilet paper is what causes most of the problems, so we only put poohy toilet paper down, the rest of the toilet paper there is a bin for which stops our toilet getting bunged up, but thats more about design. We have a semi marine toilet like a RV one and can hold about 100 litres of the stuff, (now that does tend to smell).:ROFLMAO:

It is what they are designed to be used for and after all its only a natural product.

Pat

OP
OP
L

Liane

Free Member
May 5, 2010
Reading, Berkshire
Funster No
Exp
Since April 2010
Why close the hatch ?

This has to be one of the strangest questions ever asked on a MH forum. It's a toilet not a urinal, says so on the tin.
Well I dunno why close it ... that's just what it said on the MH tip I saw :) So it doesn't fill to the brim and wet your botty maybe? :roflmto: And yuh I guess it's a bit strange, what can I say ... I'm a strange kinda gal ::bigsmile:

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
In between trips I give the bowl a really good polish with car wax. Keeps things moving really fast and makes deposits a lot less frequent.
BTW the most effective chemical in the cassette is urine, it naturally breaks down the solids.

Don't be squeamish...after all we're all full of it!!

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
I never poo anywhere else!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Even if we're on a site ( which is most of the time!) I never use the facilities - I always use my own bathroom for wees, poos, washes, showers!:roflmto:

Why buy a van with a great bathroom and then share one with everyone else???:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

VMax666

Free Member
Nov 26, 2009
Knutsford
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2yrs
Don't use chemicals ( too expensive), use biological washing liquid. Lidl is cheap. Some use Fabric conditioner, not tried it myself but some people swear by it, smells nice too. VMax

TonyIsh UK

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Funster No
Brings back the good'ol days on BR.

"Please no urination, whilst the train is in the station"

and being able to count the sleepers through the ole.

NOW there's a thought.

Where's Screwfix URL ? a 4inch drill bit, and the emptying problem is solved.

Rgds :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back