To northern Italy then tour back, but where ? (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Later this year I will be attending a rally in Rovereto ( its just to the east of the northern end of Lake Garda )
After the rally we will be taking a couple of weeks to travel back to the UK.

We have done a fair bit of sightseeing in Italy, but this time would like to either see the coast of the south of France, or head north and go to Berlin area..

Soooo.. Whty the post ?
Where would you good people suggest we put on the 'must see' list.. straight forward bit of sightseeing .. Any castles, lakes, museums etc ?
Any places that we really should make an effort to get to ?

Any and all suggestions gratefully received ! :Smile:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I gather then that no one has any recomendations ?
is Europe THAT boring ! LOL !!::bigsmile:

JeffersonCampervan

Free Member
Mar 27, 2008
Toronto
Funster No
MH
semi-integral & Integral
Exp
Since 1990
Well off the top of my head, I'm not big on the coast of france, but just north there's the Gorge du Verdon; oddball sight in that area is the Holy City of Mandarom.

Then Avignon will have the festival d'Avignon - free aire with free shuttlebus.
if you return up the Rhone, there's the Palais Ideal in Hauterives; if back via Millau there's La Couvertoirade & maybe Ouradour sur glane.

Going the other way,Linz is one of the European Capitals of Culture in 2009, there's always Prague - Dresden is great with 2 well-located walk-into-the-centrum stellplatz; Berlin is well worth some time - there a 17€/night stellplatz on Chausseestrasse that is a stone's throw from the subway - even has rudimentary washroom/shower setup if needed -get a multi-day transit pass & you are set.

Both routes are rife with touring options!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We have done a fair bit of sightseeing in Italy, but this time would like to either see the coast of the south of France,

You've seen how the Italians do it, so why not the French. Monaco, Nice, St Tropez, Cannes and north via Route Napoleon needs to be seen once.

Or round a bit more and see Millau.

We've never done it by MH, but on a bike which lets us park easily to see the rich in their playgrounds. No doubt we will tackle it by MH one day.

ronald4874

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Poole Dorset
Funster No
MH
CB 6.5 metres
Exp
About 15yrs plus early years in caravan & cruiser
Jaws MC

If you are at Lake Garda you are not too far to Venice with good camping on the Lido. Last time there took a bus to the ferry terminal on the Lido for a fabulous boat trip into Venice itself. The view as you entered into the Venice centre was a sight for sore eyes and not easily forgotten. Use the feet and tour all the back streets where normal people don't venture to see the great buildings and of course many canals.
We did that and then into Croatia where campsites, naturist and textile are many, near the water with fab coast line. We found northen Croatia not as far as Spain but nicer.

Ron

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
You've seen how the Italians do it, so why not the French. Monaco, Nice, St Tropez, Cannes and north via Route Napoleon needs to be seen once.

Or round a bit more and see Millau.

We've never done it by MH, but on a bike which lets us park easily to see the rich in their playgrounds. No doubt we will tackle it by MH one day.

I rode from UK down to the south of France (St. Tropez) via route Napoleon, and you'd be very brave to take a MH on parts of that....was very twisty and very very narrow in place, with some overhung cliffs which may or may not be too low to get a MH through(can't remember for sure how low they were, as didn't pay too much attention to it at the time......not an issue on a motorbike):winky: Was a few years ago and didn't expect to be getting a MH for many many years....how things change::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
5 terraces

If you are going west from Lake Garda to the West coast of Italy, the Cinque Terre (5 Terraces) are a must. We stopped at Deiva Marina site and took the train to Rio Maggiore and walked back along the coastal path. The views are fantastic. I have noted it in my diary that it was on page 158 of the Rough Guide to Italy. Hope this is of help:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back