To lend or not? (1 Viewer)

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Edds daughter asked if she could borrow our van. I said yes. After finding that a weeks insurance was over £400 for her, I added her to my insurance. The proviso was, if she bent it, she pays for it. She has used it twice with no problem. It's really up to the owner. If it had been anyone else, I would have said no.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
The very fact that he would lend it to you if he had one should tell you just how much value he places on things, you know the answer to the question should I lend anyone my motorhome Grow Some and tell him, if he falls out over it so be it life is far to short to worry about people falling out with you if you do not please them.I have lent lots of tools and things over the years, I now tell them when they bring back all the things they have borrowed over the years they can borrow the next thing funny how they never ask again,There is a fine line between being family and being a soft touch

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
We loan ours to Daughter and baggage for the Royal Cornwall Show, I drive it to the location:thumb:
They use it:thumb:

I drive it back:thumb:

Would I lend it to them for a "trip"?

NO!

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Problem for me would not be if the van got damaged.... but how that gets resolved. Spares can take months to get and you may not have access to the van if there was a delay from minor traffic / reversing damage. I lost the use of our last van for nearly 3 months after I reversed into an object....... that was bad enough but if it had been caused by someone else it would have more than strained relationships.

If you are not prepared to potentially be without your van as a result of an incident when in their hands or they are not prepared to hire you a replacement if necessary then the answer from me would be No!

I think a frank discussion about not being prepared to be without it for any period or have to replace it if you loose use of it at their expense would sort any sensible relative.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Lent mine years ago, and I drove it to the site and they lived in it. Picked it up 2 weeks later and the stink in it was dreadful.
I asked if they'd emptied the loo and was told they'd only used it a few times and it wasn't full, this in a hot summer for two weeks. I was surprised they couldn't smell it, but I suppose it had come on gradually and they hadn't noticed. Anyway that was the last time.:Angry:

billy

Free Member
Jan 10, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
since 2009
A big fat NO from me i would not lend it to anyone
As has been said once you do it for one others will ask.
Not worth the hassle,lost sleep and worry until they bring it back.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Whilst at my sisters on New Year's Eve,after being plied with alcohol ,my brother in law done the expected and asked if he could borrow the Motorhome .He's been hinting for a while but never actually came out with it.
Just wondering what the rest of you do when this crops up,do you lend or not ,if you do lend who to family or friends also.
Being a newbee it's still very much my baby and the thought of anyone else using it,never mind poss breaking it or something in it,or worse!!!( feeling uneasy now)doesn't sit too well with me.
Wouldn't have minded as much if he wanted to borrow mrs Vlad,although an easy and immediate no would have followed.As it is its up in the air and adding to the dilemma is the fact that if they had one and I didn't they would prob lend it to me.
Vlad the unsure!

NO

It could be the start of a long slippery road....when will be the next time and the next...and next:Doh: then you start arranging your trips around there's it does not work....

NO

Last edited:

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Whilst at my sisters on New Year's Eve,after being plied with alcohol ,my brother in law done the expected and asked if he could borrow the Motorhome .He's been hinting for a while but never actually came out with it.
Just wondering what the rest of you do when this crops up,do you lend or not ,if you do lend who to family or friends also.
Being a newbee it's still very much my baby and the thought of anyone else using it,never mind poss breaking it or something in it,or worse!!!( feeling uneasy now)doesn't sit too well with me.
Wouldn't have minded as much if he wanted to borrow mrs Vlad,although an easy and immediate no would have followed.As it is its up in the air and adding to the dilemma is the fact that if they had one and I didn't they would prob lend it to me.
Vlad the unsure!

If I had millions I would lend you thousands.......yes but I aint got millions and will never have, so it very easy for me to say that I would.:Smile:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
if you know him and trust,lend him it :thumb:
if you know him and dont trust him ,dont lend it him:thumb:
i will lend anything to anybody i trust,and nothing to people i dont:thumb:
i lent a few 100 ££ to a mate who had not been paid only yesterday,am i worried about getting it back---no! i trust him:thumb:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
NO

It could be the start of a long slippery road....when will be the next time and the next...and next:Doh: then you start arranging your trips around there's it does not work....

NO

Also if you look at most motorhomes ... the rear end somewhere top left or right or bottom corners of the rear valance....you will find damage...due people new to motorhoming or unsure of the height, width, length...or just a lapse of concentration when reversing or driving in and out of tight spots... ....to repair this can take months and to get parts from the manufactures a lot longer

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
If you feel you should loan it to him due to family peace, I would suggest you say yes, providing he gets his OWN insurance, fully comp, with NO excess.

That way, worse happens, it will def not cost you .. Nor cost you a bad mark with insurers.

It will also be a bit of a put off, as fully comp with zero excess for a newbee is not going to be that cheap !!

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
My daughter and her husband would dearly love to borrow our MH to take the kids to eurodisney, but to avoid me pointing out that he has hit his garden wall twice with his caravan, they dare not ask. If they summoned up the courage, the answer would still be no, I think owning a mh, is slightlymore personal than owning a car.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
My daughter and her husband would dearly love to borrow our MH to take the kids to eurodisney, but to avoid me pointing out that he has hit his garden wall twice with his caravan, they dare not ask. If they summoned up the courage, the answer would still be no, I think owning a mh, is slightlymore personal than owning a car.

i wont even lend my family my car why should i they have more money than me but i will take them to where they want to go provided they put the fuel in.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Ask yourself, Is this my pride and joy, have I sweated and saved to buy it for my convenience, would it upset you if the lender bent it?Thing it is an inanimate object BUT it`s yours, Would I , no I wouldn`t :Angry::Angry::Angry:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
It is your personal pride and joy and your home on wheels, if it was mine I would not.

Hire vans are a different kettle of fish, pure business tools as such

Peter

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
No way would I let ANYONE use my (motor)HOME ever!!!! It is my HOME on wheels. I have in the past had people stay at my bricks and mortar home, but that was when they were looking after our dogs when we went away for the weekend and I trusted them not to do anything massively wrong to it. However that backfired when Father in Law decided to clean the kitchen sink with some cream cleaner ... nice of him to do so you may think ... er, no ... it was a brown ceramic sink and it suddenly got a mottled disease that no amount of other cleaning products could shift ... new sink required!!! :whatthe: Then there was the time when he'd use the cooker and decided to give it a clean and sprayed it all over with some cleaning fluid, unfortunatley he squirted so much of it at the knobs/facia that it stuffed the automatic oven control. :shout:

In a motorhome it is a totally different thing altogether, the furniture and fixings on the whole aren't just things that you can get off the shelf quickly and easily (and cheaply) and what would you do if they dinted the internal stuff such as worktop, cupboards etc, it can be virtually impossible to replace/repair this sort of stuff. The exterior too could be very hard to repair etc. That's assuming the damage is minor ... what if it wasn't?

IMV I suggest you just say no, the sooner the better so it isn't 'hanging' over you. Don't get into a discussion about it as to why etc, just tell him you wouldn't be happy with anyone else using it and leave it at that. :Smile:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
A SIMPLE NO :Smile:Tell him it's your home from home and you do not lend it out so don't ask :thumb:
Before our son died we used to lend him the van for the odd weekend knowing full well that he would look after it better than he would look after his own and he knew how everything worked(he would have had to anser to his mum :Eeek::Eeek:)Now eldest son is a different kettle of fish - no chance ::bigsmile:Just different :winky::Smile:Even my mate who helped me convert the van (could repair any thing that broke/dammaged) would not dream of asking to loan it.He knows the answer would be F----ff no chance ::bigsmile:
terry

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
You would be effectively subsidising their holiday to the tune of at least £300 per week (hire charges). Suggest they can `borrow` it if they are happy to give you £??? per week to subsidise your next holiday.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
NO-- It takes a while to learn all the little eccentrics with a MH ,driving and the camping associated tasks, even more so on a older model.
There is a fair bit to learn as the need for forums as this:thumb:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Vlad I would say from experience a big NO.

Few year back when we had the caravan friends of ours did us a small favour and I mean a small one, so in return I offered them a weekend in our van that we had sighted for the winter season. They where over the moon with this and a few weeks later asked if I would let them have it for a weeks holiday instead and at a site in the lakes. Without thinking to much about it I said yes so they booked up then told me they had no way of getting it there could I tow it if they paid my petrol, again I agreed.

Few days before they where heading off I took it to their house and showed them everything and how it worked also wrote a list of instructions on how to work things. The day they where heading away I said to them now if you break something don't worry but please just tell me, yes we will Gerry no problem.

Once van was back home apart from their child leaving food on awning floor at night which attracted mice that chewed throw my ground sheet I thought. Van was all ok and I could repair ground sheet ( they had told me about it). Few days later when loading up the van I noticed the cooler door compartment in the fridge had been glued, didn't go and phone them just thought next time I see them I will ask them no big deal. Well I mentioned it to them and his wife went off her head its just a wee bit of plastic and couldn't understand I was upset that they hadn't told me more than they had broke it. That was 6 years ago and we haven't spoken since.

Bit long winded but you get the gist, my Dad wanted to borrow our mh for a weekend and I would have no problem with that but when I phoned the insurance company they where not happy with it so I took them instead.So why not ask them to join you on a holiday.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
You say if the tables were tuyrned, they would lend to you.

If they done that, yoiu would ensure if was cared for, insured and cover any damage - if they do the same - do not see an issue!

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
g8ysn

no if they want 2 try touring hire one its not like borrowing your lawn mower, it would be 2 traumatic on both or u, the old saying comes in to mind " u bend it you mend it"

:Eeek:

You say if the tables were tuyrned, they would lend to you.

If they done that, yoiu would ensure if was cared for, insured and cover any damage - if they do the same - do not see an issue!

annadg

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
I'm new to it
There is an old proverb that is "neither a borrower nor a lender be"

A good maxim.

Just pause and think. Do you lend your bedroom to anyone ? We feel that our Badger is our personal space and just say no sorry we use it too often/unexpectedly/something ...

And think how they would feel if something went wrong ...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back