Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
All geared up to leave for Spain on Thursday in the new RV and now 6 inches of snow this morning.
Having cleared all the snow & ice off the carpark yesterday to get out to fill up with fuel I have spent 2 hours shovelling again this morning:Angry: At least I can now get out onto the road without any hassle if it freezes.

Can only watch the news and weather for the next couple of days before making final decision on Wednesday. Northern France is getting is getting its share as well.

It all adds to the adventure ...I suppose :Eeek:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Go of course ::bigsmile:riving2:

Bet you have taken cover to run the business:winky:

Go ::bigsmile:riving2:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
When smudger and I went down to Portugal in January this year there was snow most of the way down through France, and rain in Spain, followed by more snow in the Algarve but the main routes were clear even if a little slow, His RV a Winnebago Voyager remained as warm as toast the whole trip, thanks to the pair of eberspatcher Diesel heaters he had fitted considering the weather in Spain and Portugal in January when we arrive it is just as well he had them. No massive battery drain from the furnace. so all you RV owners thinking about the winter should think of have them fitted.
The trip in a new RV will be a real adventure for you and one you will never forget no matter how many times you go. As long as you are sure you can be warm go for it or you will sit here regretting your decision all winter.:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi Garry, you are lucky, our drive is the steepest hill in Suffolk. :Doh: We had the same thoughts this year, our biggest problem was getting the Smart on the trailer and getting out the village.::bigsmile:

We went on the 6th January and had 6" to 8" of Snow from Suffolk to Biarritz. :Smile:
The journey down was OK and not as bad as the road reports said.:RollEyes:
We stayed at Marine Parade Dover the beach was covered in Snow and got the 8 o/c ferry, I was a bit worried about getting up the ramp onto the boat.

We had our first night on the Aire at Honfleur, it was really nice around the town, all the Christmas Lights up. :thumb:

Just make sure you have plenty of water, and lots of weight on your rear axle.......:Smile: We was glad we went, and got away from the weather we are having here. ::bigsmile: Bob.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I too am thinking of departing for warmer climes after the new year and to that end I have been monitoring the weather in the Pyrenees passes to Vitoria, it seems hard to believe but they are getting reading of +5' minimum at the moment...

Doug...

OP
OP
MrJinks

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
The trip in a new RV will be a real adventure for you and one you will never forget no matter how many times you go. As long as you are sure you can be warm go for it or you will sit here regretting your decision all winter.:thumb::thumb:

We will definately go..... Mrs Jinks would never let me back in the house if I said we weren't going.:ROFLMAO:

It is whether to hang on for a couple of days to see if weather improves. The way this winter is shaping up, my instinct is to just go for it. So long as no more blizzards before Thursday :thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
MrJinks

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
I too am thinking of departing for warmer climes after the new year and to that end I have been monitoring the weather in the Pyrenees passes to Vitoria, it seems hard to believe but they are getting reading of +5' minimum at the moment...

Doug...

I have been checking the A75 down from Clermont to the Med and their temps end of this week have been 6 to 8 C :thumb:

So once I get south of Paris all should be OK.....famous last words :Doh:

Have a good journey if you go

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I have been checking the A75 down from Clermont to the Med and their temps end of this week have been 6 to 8 C :thumb:

So once I get south of Paris all should be OK.....famous last words :Doh:

Have a good journey if you go

Hi Gary we went down with Smudger (Derek) and Wildman (Rodger).
We took the lead as we was familiar with the road and area......and it is true what Roger has said, we left in snow in fact it was blizzard conditions.....main roads was good except for the motorway from Abbeville to Neufchatel-en-Bray.... had not been cleared.... it was ok.... you just have to take more care and a slower pace(may be not for the French as they was passing us at a very fast speed on the outer lane riding on thick snow ******????):swear: no road sense!!!.......at the moment here in northern France we have had about 6" snow...and apart from the minor roads being bad as they do not seem to grit at all..... the main trunk roads should be ok ( although I have not travelled on them lately)...good luck and have a good holiday.......If we was not waiting for our new motorhome in April and dare not risk any damage to this one we have now, you may have seen us down there or on the road.....as we got further south the skies got less of the Grey colour and ended up pure blue ...BUT very cold in the evening and night......beware as when in the cab with heating on and blue skies you may get complacent .....you may look out to see everything solid ICE and I mean thick solid ice.......all the way down France the water was turned off.....so collect at supermarkets...LIDL is the cheapest.....the normal bottled water is very cheap over here as it is consumed in large quantities.

Mel:thumb::sin::whistle: sunny days

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Hope you have a safe journey enjoy your new rv :winky:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Hi Gary!

You shouldn't have any prob next week . Forecast announces positive temperatures up to wednesday , so roads should clear up quite quiclky, rain , if any, will take place instead of snow. After wednesday, they will slowly go down again. It should be snowing only in the eastern part of France , a few drops may be in the middle of the country but nothing as the previous weeks. The reliability index goes from 0 to 5 for french forecast. It is supposed to be 2 out of 5 concerning the end of next week for the french territory.

I'll give you the forecast on tuesday or wednesday if you wish me to

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

OP
OP
MrJinks

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
Hi Gary!

You shouldn't have any prob next week . Forecast announces positive temperatures up to wednesday , so roads should clear up quite quiclky, rain , if any, will take place instead of snow. After wednesday, they will slowly go down again. It should be snowing only in the eastern part of France , a few drops may be in the middle of the country but nothing as the previous weeks. The reliability index goes from 0 to 5 for french forecast. It is supposed to be 2 out of 5 concerning the end of next week for the french territory.

I'll give you the forecast on tuesday or wednesday if you wish me to

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

Thanks for that Frankie,

I will have a look at the forecast for France before I leave here on Wednesday. Plan to head from Calais to Rouen and down to Orleans and Clermont so staying away from the East.

Joyeux Noel

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Thanks for that Frankie,

and down to Orleans
Joyeux Noel

don't get caught like I almost did by the low tunnel at Orleans (2.85Mtrs), take the peage just before Orleans to bypass it. Many others have also run foul of that one, hee hee. You do by the way pass Frankie's near Toulouse, if she is home I'm sure she would welcome you as she does all funsters. She has parking space for an RV.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
My opinion on it for what it is worth GO - even if you do not get to your final destination France is full of interesting places and people - instead of giving yourself a target - must be there by x - use the day you leave as the target and from there on relax if you get there fine if you dont then still fine - enjoy every town and village on the route until you do get there or decide its time to return - that approach has given us some of the best and most relaxing breaks we have ever had - UK or continent

Enjoy and have a good Xmas and new year:thumb:

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
Have a really good time, safe trip and all that and look forward to reading all about it.

Dale & Family

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Garry ..Just a update on the weather over here in northern France

Our temperature has risen to above freezing point....to 2c ::bigsmile:
The icicles are now dripping::bigsmile:
The village road that was covered in thick snow and icy slush has now gone and back to tarmac ( except still snow on the footpaths as not many people walk on them! they much prefer to walk on the roads?:Doh::ROFLMAO:)
So if the weather carries on as it is now, all should be ok for you...:thumb:

Bon voyage, Bon vacance, Bon soleil....have a good safe voyage, a safe trip down to spain and a smashing holiday with lots of sun:thumb::sin:

Mel...:thumb:

Last edited:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun