To Comfortmatic or not?

Discussion in 'Fiat' started by LaMB, Apr 21, 2015.

1. LaMB

LaMB Funster

I'm contemplating having the Comfortmatic on our new Motorhome. It's a manual box with an automatic clutch. Does anyone have any idea whether fuel consumption will be much different from a full manual? Also if you use it in manual mode can you shift gears just like a manual, both up and down the box?

It's £1700 difference, and I quite fancy the it, but would like some feedback from those who have it already.

Martin

• Like Like x 1
  2. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Try before you buy:rolleyes:

3. Neilfg

Neilfg Funster

We have a 2010 Comfortmatic with 3.0L, average mpg for last 12 month over 6000 miles 27.5. If we are light footed (60-65) and mainly Motorway then 29mpg, as managed on the run to Chester and back, but Peterborough was back down to 27 mpg loads of traffic and roundabouts.

4. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Got it.............. I prefer to leave mine in the manual position..

I like to be in control of the gear changing when slowing...

Have used the Auto part..... And I think it is more economical in the manual mode...

5 ton tag axle approx 23 - 25 MPG.. with the 3 litre engine (Fiat)..(y)

5. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Fuel consumption should be virtually the same as a manual - because that is what it is. I would be wary of comparing reported mpg from different drivers with or without the auto box. Any differences will be down to driving style.

And yes, you can drive it like a manual if you want, and even in auto mode you can force it to change up or down, which is something I do but rarely do I put it in manual but occasionally on twisty roads with changing inclines it can help to stop the box changing up and down rapidly - but this is rarely necessary.

The only weakness I have found is changes from second to first on the move can be jerky. All other changes are silk smooth.

But as suggested, get a test drive in one but don't be put off by feelings of panic as you approach a junction and instinct wants you to press a clutch pedal, you will I am sure rapidly get used to it. I did.

6. Serendipitous

Serendipitous Funster

Ditto 5t tag axle, however even driving modestly only does 22-23 mpg based on tank to tank. Fuel computer says 27. As its a standard dry plate clutch can't see that there should be any difference between auto & manual.

Very pleased with the comfortmatic not designed for racing but works well, rarely used in manual. Decent engine braking.

As others have advised take one for a spin. Good luck

7. LaMB

LaMB Funster

Thanks for all the replies. I'm not a stranger to auto clutch boxes, as I drive modern articulated trucks from time to time, and from the replies it seems the comfortmatic is the same. My main worry was if fuel consumption was compromised. An auto box cannot see a hill coming, or hold off changing down is nearly at the top of the hill, but I guess manual override will be needed in those situations to be more economical.

8. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

you will be surprised at just how good the box is I have the 3 litre with it and never need to use it in manual it knows when you are going up or down hill, it is slower and more sedate than in manual on acceleration as power is reduced in lower gears to help traction, best yet 32mpg when 50mph restrictions usually get between 27/29 depending on speed.
    If I was to buy another van it would be with this gearbox I like it

9. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

An example of how it knows you are on a hill is if stopped pointing up hill when you come off brake on to accelerator brake holds you for just enough time to move your foot.when pointing down hill stopped brake does not stay on as above .Clever stuff computers

10. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

It knows when it is on a hill of course but it cannot anticipate a hill it hasn't reached yet. For example, if you are trundling along a flat road and then need to turn off onto another Road which goes steeply up hill it won't change down until you are actually on the hill. Normally this isn't a problem if it only has to change down to third or second, these are very smooth, but if you are going very slowly, as might be the case in a town and it is in second already before you turn into that steep little cobbled street, then it will drop down to first and this is a bit rough in my experience and the front wheels can momentarily skid if the surface is poor.
    This can be avoided by getting it into the right gear before you hit the hill.

And the hill start feature is brilliant, but it is an extra, comes as part of one of the extras packs, it is not standard although it may be on the 2015 models.

11. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

Mine came as traction control hill start etc

12. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

Pressing the UP button while still on the flat lets the box cope with that situation much better. Without it, as you say, it can get itself in a bit if a knot - just about the only time it ever does. Mind you, they could have positioned the UP button better - it's a bit awkward where it is; the gear lever gets in the way a bit.

[The UP button selects the 'Hill' mode. The box holds the gears for longer going up & gives more engine braking when going down the other side.]

While it can't read the road ahead, it is very good at reacting to the road it's on. I only feel the need to nudge it up or down a gear about once every hundred miles or so. (y)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

To op
    Yes

14. Bill_OR

Bill_OR Funster

No hesitation - go for it! I'm delighted with mine.