To Club or not Club??

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by fbuey, May 20, 2009.

1. fbuey

fbuey Read Only Funster

Hello all you worldly wise motorhomers out there!

I am considering joining one of the clubs, 'Caravan club' or 'Camping & Caravaning club', but when I go on the websites and stuff to look at all the sites etc. you have to be a member to see locations and prices, other than their main club sites which, if I'm honest put me off completely, as they are so expensive. I want to know which club you would recommend joining, if any and, if it is value for money?? Are they just the sme sites that I can find in any campsite book, or will there be lots of additional sites that are not listed elsewhere??

I didn't but my motorhome to then spend almost £30 per night for a pitch, considering there are 5 of us in our van...2 adults, 2 kids and a Boxer dog, this is what some of the club sites I have been able to access information on, are wanting.:Angry:

Please help, as finding suitable sites is taking some of the fun out of our new hobby. We do have the problem that it is usually in school hols when we can get away ie. High Season.

So any advice on wether joining a club, and if so which one, would benifit us or not, would be gratefully recieved.

Many thanks.:thumb:

A Rather Clueless Motorhome Newbie

2. WillH

WillH Funster

Hi, we are members of both clubs. Caravan Club sites are always top quality, Camping and Caravanning Club usually less so. Note the slight difference in prices on site. Some find the CC a little snobbish, again, the C&CC less so. Both have magazines, my preference is the CC magazine.

Being in both gives you a much greater choice of sites and they are normally cheaper than commercial sites, especially in peak season.

Both give you the ability to book on line which is invaluable for us. Given the cost of membership it is minimal when you look at the annual cost of motorhoming, to have both memberships cost less than a tank of diesel!

The choice is yours.

Rgds
    Bill

3. moandick

moandick Read Only Funster

Hi fbuey

You pays your money and takes your choice - you do not need to join either of the Clubs mentioned - you can simply buy an Alan Rogers Guide and find hundreds of other sites BUT those sites might not be to the same quality of the Caravan Club sites.

What are you doing about breakdown/collision recovery cover - have you got a separate policy for your 'large' motorhome - or is it covered by your normal policy - if not you might find it much cheaper to join the RAC Arrivals scheme through the Camping and Caravanning Club.

Finally just google Caravan Sites in the area you fancy and you will be presented with an abundance of choice and probably site reports from visitors as well!

4. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Comes as a shock, doesn't it !

Lets go here... No full.
    Here ? No full.

Pull up the bookings of CC and any good weekend at a good site is booked in February for the whole summer.

Prices are outrageous.

I'm not sure of the answer but using google to find the independent sites is probably as good as it gets.

Better still, head for France. Loads more sites though many are pricey, many, especially municipal sites are good and in the €10-15 price region.

5. meanders

meanders Funster - Life Member Life Member

We are members of both clubs and only use main sites off peak, but we do use the certificated sites a lot as they only cost a few pounds a night and many of them are excellent with toilets & showers as well as very friendly owners.

6. Boo

Boo Read Only Funster

I aint renewing my subscription to CC or CCC this time.................waste of money as you can never get on the sites cos of greedy BMW tuggers block booking and cancelling at the last min :Angry:

Boo

7. zaskar

zaskar Funster

The problem with the big Club sites and a great many commercials is that they are just soooooo expensive.
    The only way you're going to find a reasonable network of smaller, cheaper sites is to join one (or preferably both) of the big clubs. That way, you gain access to, and have locations of, the CL and CS network. As far as I am aware, there is no comercial (ie Alan Rogers) type guide which will give info on the smaller sites in the UK.

Big club or commercial sites = Big, busy, lots of facilities........but you pay through the nose!
    CL's Cs's = Small, quite, very few facilities..............but very cheap camping.

The above is, of course, a generalisation, but I believe not too far off the mark.

You want facilities, your gonna have to pay for them.
    You want peace and quite and are happy to use your onboard facilities, use a CL or CS.

8. zaskar

zaskar Funster

...........and it's about time that BOTH clubs did something drastic about this cos it's DEFINATELY getting worse!:Angry:........on both big club sites AND CL's.:Angry:

9. Kon tiki

Kon tiki Read Only Funster

Maybe another one to consider is the Motorcaravan Club , although they don't have a great list of sites & CL's they have rallies running most weekends throughout the country at very reasonable prices. A big plus for us is that most of them don't need to be booked & you just turn up, our home group charge about £6 a night on average.
    We don't consider ourselves as big on the rallies but have found the ones we have been on really good with everybody friendly but with no pressure to participate in any of the activities that may be going on. We have also made a lot of new friends & are looking forward to visiting other areas.
    We are booked on one of the holiday rallies near Newquay in Sept for £10 a night inc. electric hook up :thumb:

10. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

It is worth joining either site for the CLs and the discounted ferry tickets !!:thumb:

11. lufcdave7

lufcdave7 Read Only Funster

We are new to motorhoming but have been "tuggers" and "tenters" for quite some time. We are members of both clubs and have found the CL sites with the caravan club brilliant. These sites only allow 5 caravan/motor homes and are usually on farms etc with the basics, ie electric hook up, water, waste disposal. Some have shower blocks etc but are usually in quiet locations. The C&CC offer similar sites known as CS sites with similar amenities.

Both clubs offer so much more than just sites - the C&CC have "carefree" and we have yet to beat their prices on ferry crossings over to France etc. They offer an excellent service.

It may be worth noting too that although you are advised by the Caravan Club that sites are full, some sites especially abroad, have "block booking" pitches available to the Caravan Club and these may all be booked up - but other pitches are still available. If you know the name of the site then try contacting them direct. :Wink:

CC Sites are spotless and well maintained which unfortunately allows them to charge a premium price. However, on searching the net you can usually find sites all over the country but I would suggest checking to see if there are any reviews available from previous visitors. There is nothing worse than thinking you are heading to an idyllic location with your family only to find on arrival you are in a scene from "the deliverance"! :Rofl1:

Always get chatting to other visitors on sites - they are your best recommendation - there is always someone who has been to a site in an area you are planning to visit.

12. Boo

Boo Read Only Funster

Care to say where it is mate and a link maybe? :Wink:

Boo

13. Losos

Losos Read Only Funster

Or how about an idea that one stand had at the Peterborough show? You pay one annual subscription, about 30 pounds IIRC and then they have a network of sites where you can stay for free. About 200 but growing (He said)

Apparently these are quite often pub sites (In country areas) and the hope is that you'll pop in for a drink (or three) and maybe a meal and you don't need to worry about driving home or back to the camp site.

I picked up a leaflet (Which of course i can't find right now :Blush:) seemed like an idea with some merit but until I find that dam leaflet I can't give any more details, maybe someone will come on help with a link, or at least a name.

14. zaskar

zaskar Funster

Price wise, i like the sound of that and would like more info please:BigGrin:.
    The only thing that worries me is that every time we've stopped on a site AT or TOO CLOSE to a pub, it's been nothing but hassle. It just seems to attract idiots who think it's ok to come out of the pub late at night and wonder onto site shouting at the top of thier voice!
    It put us off pub sites some years ago which is a shame cos I'm sure there are some really lovely ones out there.:Sad:

15. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I watched this from the beginning over in Facts. If it's the one started by a pub landlord. I saw at least one guy who on first attempted use got a rough time from the pub but things may have improved now.

At the beginning the guy played it very close to his chest, no details of sites available were offered until you paid up. Maybe that has changed too.

16. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

and i bet there aint many that ring and cancel either......
    they just block book and decide which site to go to when they're ready and forget the rest.
    make a mockery of the booking system and its time deposits where required for EACH AND EVERY site booked.
    that'd stop 'em.

17. kenj

kenj Deleted User

I am not a member of the two club's you mentioned,but a web site that has a lot of info that may be of help to you is Motorhome Mailing List. there's a lot of reading on this site for UK and Europe.

Ken

18. Kon tiki

Kon tiki Read Only Funster

It was there in the post MOTORCARAVAN CLUB just click on the name.

Regarding the MOTORHOME STOPOVERS (again just click on the name for the link :thumb: I think it is a bit mis leading. I spoke to the guy running it at one of the shows & I joined the forum. The idea is you can ring up & stay one night for free anymore it is up to the landlord. The assumption is you will eat or drink in the pub & reading the forum it seems that this excepted as part of being able to stay. Personally I'm not a great lover of pubs & prefer to go in ones when I want & not have to go in for a drink just to be sociable so I can park there. There is a map on the site showing the spread of the pubs.

19. Caztur

Caztur Funster

I can't speak for Caravan Club as I've never been a member, but re C & C C I have been for 17 years.

Deposits are always required with bookings on all Camping & Caravanning Club Sites. As far as I am aware they do not have the problems that I hear Caravan Club sites have with no shows.

Not sure where OP gets the figure of £30 per night - cost for pitch with EHU in high season at C & C C sites for a family is around £25.

As others have said, the CSs are great value and in some lovely places. These are supposed to be only open to members and most sites enforce that.

When our kids were young we used the temporary holiday sites - bit like rallies - and had some really cheap camping.

20. vindiboy

vindiboy Funster

I would reccomend C C C . over the C.C personally, with the C.C.C. there is no requirement to book week end rallies, just turn up .I came out of the C.C because of all the booking palaver for week end meets, a no no for me especially when I was working as I never knew exactly what I would e doing from day to day.Both clubs have superb sites and costs are probably on a par, to those who think them over priced I would say make a comparison with like Commercial sites for the same periods and compare the order on club sites to the mayhem on commercial sites ie, drunks late at night , noise late at night, closeness of pitches etc. and you will soon see the value of being a member of a club of your choice. No one seems to mention the Motor caravanners club in these debates, I know they have no actual sites ,but they must be good value or why have they so many members.:Eeek::Eeek: