To clean or Not to clean that is the question? (1 Viewer)

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi Funsters
As some of you might of read I purchased a Karcher pressure washer as a birthday present for myself, so I thought I would get some cleaner as well to be ready for when I have the energy the weather and the inclination to do it.
I'm sure somewhere on this forum someone was praising Fenwicks cleaner so I though of you go and get some.
Not so easy, as there is lots of different Fenwick products, there is even one for MHs and a different one for Caravans!
I have a few black streaks on my MH so it's got to handle them.
So it's over to you knowledgeable people to lead me in the correct direction of a wonderful product.
I await your wise thoughts with baited breath.
Many Thanks Tony

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
As some of you might of read I purchased a Karcher pressure washer as a birthday present for myself, so I thought I would get some cleaner as well to be ready for when I have the energy the weather and the inclination to do it.
Hopefully your not going to 'do it' on your motorhome with said pressure washer?? :Eeek:

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I wouldn't use a pressure washer on my van , I prefer washing it by hand . I do have a pressure washer and use it on the car. The van, I love too much to use a pressure washer on it.
I find the caravan cleaner from Alde's works great on the van and gets off the black streaks . I buy a few bottles when it's reduced to £1.99 a bottle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 23, 2013
Hurworth-on-Tees, Darlington, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since July 2013 but been camping for 25+ years
Get yourself a snow foam lance for the pressure washer, which will with a reduced pressure cover it with shaving foam like 'foam'. Them use your long handled brush to clean. Rinse with either wide spray on pressure washer or regular hose pipe. A great time saver, especially if you want to give it a 'quickie' without the brush.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Hi Funsters
I'm sure somewhere on this forum someone was praising Fenwicks cleaner so I though of you go and get some.
Not so easy, as there is lots of different Fenwick products, there is even one for MHs and a different one for Caravans!
I have a few black streaks on my MH so it's got to handle them.
So it's over to you knowledgeable people to lead me in the correct direction of a wonderful product.
I await your wise thoughts with baited breath.
Many Thanks Tony

There is a forum dedicated to the cleaning and maintenance of your Motorhome. It's called the Detailing section. MHF is not only the Best MH forum in the world it's the only one with a Detailing forum. We even welcome Pip Squeeks there e :D2

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I wouldn't use a pressure washer on my van , I prefer washing it by hand . I do have a pressure washer and use it on the car. The van, I love too much to use a pressure washer on it.
I find the caravan cleaner from Alde's works great on the van and gets off the black streaks . I buy a few bottles when it's reduced to £1.99 a bottle.

Using a pressure washer is perfectly fine providing it's done using common sense.

A snow foam lance is the way to go. Once bought each wash costs literally pennies per wash and is an efficient and importantly safe way to clean our vehicles. It's very easy to do with minimal effort which for some members is helpful.

Using snow foam as thick as shaving foam means it's mixed far to strong or the lance is set up to deliver the mix to strong. This will simply waste product and will strip any wax or sealant on the vehicle.

I personally would not use brushes on any vehicle.

There are specific guides in the Detailing section aimed at helping members find the best tools and products and the safe use of them. Also best and easy use ..

We also promote products that are economical to use. No point in paying silly money just to have a brand or makers name and makers name when it's no better if as good as the kit that really does work. Much experience is passed on by certain members like FJ Mike the resident MH expert in valeting/detailing ..

Last edited:

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Have to echo every thing Charlie has said, I would add that when using a pressure washer on your van it's best to remember to:-
Never start the p/w whilst pointing at anything but the floor
Adjust the pressure to a low setting
Use a wide fan (if you can't adjust the fan then don't use on your van)
Do not aim the van at seals or vents
At all times keep the lance moving, never stop whilst pointing at the van
Some p/ws allow for a detergent feed, never use anything that is not designated automotive and dilute

Fenwicks do a large range of caravan and motorhome products but are largely unknown outside of here. Personally I am not convinced that their products are any better than other makes.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
On the use of snow foam, I would advise not to get any which is highly coloured as a you-tubers videoclip of one chap cleaning his very expensive it left pink stains in certain places which he was finding it very difficult to remove.
Best Wishes Tony

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
On the use of snow foam, I would advise not to get any which is highly coloured as a you-tubers videoclip of one chap cleaning his very expensive it left pink stains in certain places which he was finding it very difficult to remove.
Best Wishes Tony
A unique Pink stained motorhome :)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I have Never heard of foam whether cheap ot expensive leaving any discolouration. Ever.

I'm repeating myself again but we should NEVER EVER put to much solution in the lance. Nor should we turn the knob that controls the dilution mix up high.

You really do not want thick foam when foaming. If it's thick it's to strong and will simply waste product and it will strip wax or sealants that have been applied. Mixing it thick might impress the neighbours kids but you will have to wax the vehicle again.

It could be some clown has filled the lance bottle neat ? Who knows I've seen one person cleaning a new car with one of those rotary patio cleaners the one with the brush. Removed the mud brilliantly and the paint with it. Mmmmm

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
I have Never heard of foam whether cheap ot expensive leaving any discolouration. Ever.

Not sure why anybody would want coloured foam anyway, but it's best to be aware even if the risk is low.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
That looks like the wheel cleaner I buy :)

I get my snow foam off eBay at around £12 per 5lts delivered smalls of coconuts :)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie

Not sure why anybody would want coloured foam anyway, but it's best to be aware even if the risk is low.

I would question why any half sensible person would be daft enough to risk that stuff even in the tool let alone spray it on a vehicle.

Try as I do I cannot be held to reason for folk that use rubbish of any description.

Like oils I suppose there are some who would put two stroke oil in the sump of a Ferrari cos it's a fancy colour. More fool them.

There was a brief silly craze some years back when a few coloured foams were marketed but no sensible person and certainly no one I know used them for the reasons above.

My advice/warnings above still stand. Use the stuff for what it's intended and at the correct dilution rates and NO damage will be done.

friar tuck

Free Member
Nov 15, 2011
redruth cornwall
Funster No
MH
a class rv
Exp
im a newbie
Having used fenwicks caravan cleaner i can say it does remove the streaks and algae.however it leaves your mh or caravan in a very raw state and you MUST then re wax or polish the surface as it leaves it very porous so that any dust and grime gets deeeeep into the paintwork,making next clean needing even more elbow grease or copious amounts of fenwicks. It feels like sandpaper after use,i would say great if like my mh had been parked under trees and needed taking back to base.otherwise use a softer product.
ps im no expert just personal observation.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Having used fenwicks caravan cleaner i can say it does remove the streaks and algae.however it leaves your mh or caravan in a very raw state and you MUST then re wax or polish the surface as it leaves it very porous so that any dust and grime gets deeeeep into the paintwork,making next clean needing even more elbow grease or copious amounts of fenwicks. It feels like sandpaper after use,i would say great if like my mh had been parked under trees and needed taking back to base.otherwise use a softer product.
ps im no expert just personal observation.

I think the thing we have to remember is are we buying cheap products repackaged with fancy names and/or packaging but increased massively in price ??

The other HUGE consideration is the word SAFE.....We have seen a few on this forum who have come unstuck using the wrong product. One person had a van valeted at a show and had the graphics on that van destroyed because the product used was either mixed to strongly or allowed to dry in the sun..

You pays yer money and takes yer chance.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
This is a video of someone using the product which Charlie recomends but not the green coloured one, I certainly would not presure wash my MH with such a powerfull spray, but hey each to his own.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
It's not wax in that video it's Magifoam snow foam.

I realize that Charlie, if you look at what I was asking it was about the “followed by Bilthamber ..” remark you put after the Magifoam not the foam.
So is it the wax or some other product which Bilthamber make?

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Pressure Washer is a no no as far as I'm concerned,
It might be "old fashioned" "time consuming" but a hand wash with a sponge, a dry with a chamois, and a polish with a decent liquid polish, a smatter of Bumper and tyre gel, and some tyre shine does it for me. No fancy chemicals, just elbow grease and a satisfaction that the job is well done.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I realize that Charlie, if you look at what I was asking it was about the “followed by Bilthamber ..” remark you put after the Magifoam not the foam.
So is it the wax or some other product which Bilthamber make?

I was referring to Bilthamber foam , Bilthamber do a few products but we were talking foam ,

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Pressure Washer is a no no as far as I'm concerned,
It might be "old fashioned" "time consuming" but a hand wash with a sponge, a dry with a chamois, and a polish with a decent liquid polish, a smatter of Bumper and tyre gel, and some tyre shine does it for me. No fancy chemicals, just elbow grease and a satisfaction that the job is well done.

It is perfectly safe to use a pressure washer. Sponges unless you use a specific type will or can ruin paint. Chamois leathers even more so.

If you polish every time you wash you will destroy your finishes over time ,

Old fashioned your methods certainly are .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back