Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Sorry if this is a Noob question Andy but do they both end up doing the same thing in the end ?
I only ask as i might get my 2007 2.3ltr 130 multijet chipped for more performance

LOL.. they both end up giving you more power .. but how the plug in's achieve it i don't know..
a good remap should configure all the parameters that the standard map on the eco uses and adjust them all to give the desired performance.. imo thats the best way to go if you want an increase in performance , better torque characteristics..etc..
I've run different maps on my mk7 transit for years, from stupid power increase to the present which is a moderate increase , but have also had the egr function written out of the equation..so it no longer functions..
i paid a little more and have a device that allows me to change the map back to the standard ford one myself..and reinstall the modified map when i want...
I've always found the remapped vehicle has a far better drive feel..
andy

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Wow, short words pal.

I had it re-mapped by Wiltshire Superchips.
It is the Iveco 3 litre and was 160.
Now 200 Bhp. 24-26 mpg average and lots of low end torgue for towing and hill ascents.

Apologies if I upset anyone on this board. (bubble63 and Geo)
Thanks for sharing, I thought you were going to start going on about clutch slip and loads of negative stuff so really pleased that you decided to go public.

Our 3 litre IVECO was re-mapped by Quantum tuning at one of the shows, I knew it had been done before I came out of second gear leaving the show, Mrs Funflair declared an improvement from the passenger seat as she said it was smoother and quieter, pulling about 5.6 tonne and aerodynamics of a brick s--- house but can still get 24 mpg on a good day.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
And a remap won't change the engine revs to MPH ratio.

Landyguy

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2013
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Serrano
Exp
newbie from caravan - 5yrs now
LOL.. they both end up giving you more power .. but how the plug in's achieve it i don't know..
a good remap should configure all the parameters that the standard map on the eco uses and adjust them all to give the desired performance.. imo thats the best way to go if you want an increase in performance , better torque characteristics..etc..
I've run different maps on my mk7 transit for years, from stupid power increase to the present which is a moderate increase , but have also had the egr function written out of the equation..so it no longer functions..
i paid a little more and have a device that allows me to change the map back to the standard ford one myself..and reinstall the modified map when i want...
andy

Andy.

Any details on costs, performance and who did it please.
Thanks

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
andy

Andy.

Any details on costs, performance and who did it please.
Thanks

I've dealt with two companies..
with both I've used their devices that allow me to change the maps from original to modified by flashing the eco myself ... so a little more expensive.. the first was celtic tuning... the second was vantuner..
the initial cost with both was just over £300 i think but that was good few years ago...
I'm still running vantuners map on my mk 7 transit..
any car or van I've had done has always showed a significant increase in power if you wish to use it,, but the whole drive has felt better... i suppose its the increase in torque available over the rev range..
the point has been made that you can't change the revs to speed set up as thats governed by the box and diff ratios but you can change the drive feel by altering the power torque characteristics...
i suppose thats what causes a lot of the clutch failures we hear about... either driven poorly or poor mapping..
im a convert as I'm sure you've guessed.. it comes as standard on some bikes and cars now .. i.e. been able to change the drive characteristics of the vehicle by flicking a switch...
andy

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
in general does remapping an engine come with a risk of damaging the likes of the ecu or turbo ? or are they false scare stories that circulate

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I suspect that any power increase eats into the vast reserve of reliability that allows 200K+ mileages that the vehicle is designed to cover in its lifetime. Probably expires at 150K once it has been remapped :D.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Saves getting involved with the opinions of others on this site!
To some extent I share frustration with some of the posts, but why join a forum in the first place?

I learn a lot from the questions asked by others and the advice given in response, and I try to give back wherever I can, that's what communities are for

Last edited:

Cilfan

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
Flint North Wales
Funster No
MH
Desperately Seeking
Exp
Devout Wannabe
The question that begs the asking is:
If remapping, chipping (via whichever means), improves performance, drive quality and, in some (if not all) cases MPG, then why don't vehicles leave the factory with the improved parameters already set?

If a vehicle is offered with two variants of the same engine size i.e. 2Lt 130 or 150bhp, then it's pretty obvious that it's the same engine differently mapped. I'd also guess that both variants use the same drive train.

However, if that's not the case, then (presumably), there has to be a down side. It can't be all gain without penalty, life simply doesn't work like that.

Last edited:
D

DL42846

Deleted User
I think I read somewhere that chipping the engine puts more strain on the clutch which is already a bit iffy on a Fiat Multyjet 130.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
These arguments about remapping or chipping have been going on for ages, properly remapped engines will not damage the clutch, mine is still fine after 2 years, manufacturers set the engines so that they will pass emission tests, it's a compromise, my engine now has greater drivability, is more fuel efficient, and has more power as well, so in my case it is all gain and no pain, apart from the original cost.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I suspect that any power increase eats into the vast reserve of reliability that allows 200K+ mileages that the vehicle is designed to cover in its lifetime. Probably expires at 150K once it has been remapped :D.
That might be the cost lol... but manufacturers are going that way themselves by fitting smaller and smaller capacity engines into vehicles and wringing he engines neck to get the power.. so the viability and benefits of a remap will possibly be greatly reduce or as mentioned above the driver may have a choice of drive characteristics built in :D
Andy

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Wow, short words pal.

I had it re-mapped by Wiltshire Superchips.
It is the Iveco 3 litre and was 160.
Now 200 Bhp. 24-26 mpg average and lots of low end torgue for towing and hill ascents.

Apologies if I upset anyone on this board. (bubble63 and Geo)

I find the fewer words I use the less that can be misinterpreted ;)
I wasn't personally upset but felt for the other members who were posting.
Your post did come out a little up your own backside ish, suggesting your personal reply via PM would be far superior to anyone else's on here hence my response
Thank you for your response to me and the info supplied, the whole forum is now a much wiser place for your input
That's a pint we owe each other(y)'
Geo

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
why don't vehicles leave the factory with the improved parameters already set
The explanation I heard was that the van engine is mapped for all latitudes from Africa to Norway , all loads, Heavy and light, all applications fast and slow.
This one size fits all approach means that it's not great at anything
My ECU flash was designed for constant heavy in mid Europe. I.e. Motorhome mode

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The explanation I heard was that the van engine is mapped for all latitudes from Africa to Norway , all loads, Heavy and light, all applications fast and slow.
Not only that but each engine built, and its intake and exhaust components, is marginally different to others. Optimising fuel, and in the case of later engines timing, can improve overall performance. For this reason I'd be happier with a remap on a dynamometer than a simple one-fits-all solution.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
My understanding is that the only difference between the 130bhp & the 150bhp is the mapping on the ecu. So having it uprated to the 150 spec shouldn't be a problem. Fiat dealer might even be able to do it.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Thank you for the explanation. (y)

I was poised to ask the question as to why anyone would remap an engine that has taken tens of millions and teams of engineers with an "unofficial" modification. I now have an answer.

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
These arguments about remapping or chipping have been going on for ages, properly remapped engines will not damage the clutch, mine is still fine after 2 years, manufacturers set the engines so that they will pass emission tests, it's a compromise, my engine now has greater drivability, is more fuel efficient, and has more power as well, so in my case it is all gain and no pain, apart from the original cost.

It doesn't matter how well you re-map an engine, it can & probably will damage a clutch in a marginal case. The fact is that the FIAT Ducato clutch begins life being marginal at best, this is a well documented fact. Just saying that yours has been done for two years with no damage amounts to nothing, these two years might have done 200.000miles or 200miles, so length of time is irrelevant, driving style figures in the same question. Now if you pick something like a Sprinter for instance your arguement might stand as the same clutch is used from the 109bhp engine all the way up to 150bhp & beyond. The Sprinter clutch doesn't begin life being marginal if you get my meaning but re-mapping a 150bhp one will put extra strain on a clutch.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
All I can tell you is of my experience, my clutch is working as well as when I first bought it, it has always had a slight reverse gear Judder, but not enough to worry about, I always treat any clutches with respect, as being in the Motor trade all my working life I have seen and rectified many many faulty/mistreated clutches.

I can see where a badly remapped/chipped engine could destroy a clutch, especially with some of the horrendous driving I have witnessed, but a properly remapped engine would not if used correctly.

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
had my 85 bhp 2l fiat remapped. its the same engine as the 100 bhp one and the remap took it to 110. a great improvement in driveability. can't be ar&ed working out consumption, life is too short. if the clutch goes i will get it replaced with a heavy duty one.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back