To change or not to change? (1 Viewer)

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Here's the issue. when we bought our first motorhome after a lot of research we decided on the Adria Coral fixed bed above a garage. Excellent van no real issues other than the compromise in the seating area at the front and the fact I now like to keep the van at home but it just won't fit down the side of the drive. but it does seem to have a lot of space wasted in the bed and garage step forward the Warwick XL. Smaller, will fit down side of property so can get under cover great spec van but no garage for rubbish sorry essentials:). any advice from those that have made a similar move. we've sat in the van for what seems like hours in various showrooms saying we can put this here and that there and can't find fault other than the bikes being on the back and the parting of actual money to change. we are thinking we may get more use as the van will be easier to use/park for day trips then maybe stay over. any advice from van converts would be greatly appreciated(y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just a practical note ref the bikes, the rack that goes on the doors has a limit of 35kgs so you might find that your bikes are too heavy to put on it, then you'd be looking at a tow bar mounted one which would restrict you opening the rear doors, or a more expensive swing out one, of you'd need new lighter bikes ....

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just a thought, if you're happy with a newish, rather than new, van, there's the Globecar FamilyScout L which we have - L shaped dinette, and transverse rear bed ... we love ours but they don't make them now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Take your time, plot the pros and cons and make a decision. Lots of people take three goes to get the right van, so as long as you get it right this next time you're winning., Best of luck (y)

OP
OP
Fragle
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Just a practical note ref the bikes, the rack that goes on the doors has a limit of 35kgs so you might find that your bikes are too heavy to put on it, then you'd be looking at a tow bar mounted one which would restrict you opening the rear doors, or a more expensive swing out one, of you'd need new lighter bikes ....
Thanks for the information I didn't know about that and the bikes are a must have really (y)

OP
OP
Fragle
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Just a thought, if you're happy with a newish, rather than new, van, there's the Globecar FamilyScout L which we have - L shaped dinette, and transverse rear bed ... we love ours but they don't make them now.
So far having been to a few shows as well this is the one that ticks the boxes all the kit already on large seating and bed. We had a lunar arriva caravan before and this van has a similar feeling compact yet spacious at the same time.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Other things to consider:
  • It only has a 69L fresh water and 40L waste (both external) if you like to wild camp this could prove very difficult - we had a small FW tank on our previous van and it was a constant concern.
  • Cruise control and air con aren't standard so you'd have to buy the Premium pack to get these costing £2,500 (you do get other bits too).
  • It has 'glass' windows, not the usual double skinned ones.
I'm not trying to put you off but coming from a larger coachbuilt to a panel van means you may not realise the above are different.

OP
OP
Fragle
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Other things to consider:
  • It only has a 69L fresh water and 40L waste (both external) if you like to wild camp this could prove very difficult - we had a small FW tank on our previous van and it was a constant concern.
  • Cruise control and air con aren't standard so you'd have to buy the Premium pack to get these costing £2,500 (you do get other bits too).
  • It has 'glass' windows, not the usual double skinned ones.
I'm not trying to put you off but coming from a larger coachbuilt to a panel van means you may not realise the above are different.
Thanks Minxy. Your Experience is greatly appreciated. The vans we looked at have premium and winter packs on them we wild camp a little in this van and never need to carry more than half a tank (50L) so should be ok on that. the glass windows I'm not sure on. seems like some say they work others not. As for waste water don't you just leave the tap open as you drive off:Eeek::imoutahere:

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Number One Rule - - There Will Be Compromises To Be Made - the secret is finding which one's you're prepared to make.

You really need to sit down and draw up a Must Have List - Maximum 10 items. When you're happy with that list.... halve it and find out just what your priorities really are - eg daytime comfort/nightime comfort/garage/ space/home parking/gizmos/upholstery colour/cup holders etc

Only you can make the chioce. We've all been there.

Take your time.

OP
OP
Fragle
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Number One Rule - - There Will Be Compromises To Be Made - the secret is finding which one's you're prepared to make.

You really need to sit down and draw up a Must Have List - Maximum 10 items. When you're happy with that list.... halve it and find out just what your priorities really are - eg daytime comfort/nightime comfort/garage/ space/home parking/gizmos/upholstery colour/cup holders etc

Only you can make the chioce. We've all been there.

Take your time.
Your right mate. time is the key. The Warwick is the van we both like but even today we learn a bit more. cycling is the issue for me hence a garage for the bikes we have. As minxy pointed out the weight of the bikes is now the problem on the back doors I never thought of. ..I was going to jump in this weekend but I think as the season starts ill speak to a few owners on site.
The main thing is, its a great problem to have, things could be so much worse(y) and its only four weeks to our first holiday :france:

parigby

Free Member
Aug 20, 2009
Ludlow
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
20 years
We made the switch from an Autosleepers Berkshire to a PVC last summer. Preparing for the handover every item was removed from the Berkshire with the following question "when did we last use that". If the answer was "never" or "about six months or so ago, l think", then it got dumped. Two thirds of the stuff we had been carrying in the Berkshire, ended up on the dump pile. Everything else went into the PVC with no problems and space to spare.

Usability wise, much easier to manoeuvre down narrow roads, been to numerous places we would not have tried to get to in the Berkshire ; still take the same amount of clothing. Also a much more useable second vehicle. As far as water and waste tank capacity, so far we've not found the reduced size a problem.

Bikes - we ended up with a towbar and a slide forward rack to clear the door. The only remaining question for us is " what's it going to be like for an extended stay ", in our case eight weeks. We find out shortly in that we are off to France and Italy in May/June.

OP
OP
Fragle
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
I'll look into the towbar option sounds interesting. Also the useable second vehicle is a valid point. we only have one car and I live 20 miles from work. I'd never use the current motorhome if my car didn't start but thinking about it a PVC could be used. Thanks(y)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We downsized this time last year from an Adria Matrix 680SP to a Possl/Globecar Roadcruiser PVC, it took a couple of nights to get used to it but we love it and happy we changed.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We downsized from a Chausson coachbuilt to a Rapido PVC last summer. The Chausson was great in many ways and we enjoyed it for five years, travelling the continent. BUT we were feeling somewhat restricted - and occasionally stressed - by the width of the van.

Delighted with the PVC - so much more relaxing to drive, faster on the motorway, easier in small towns, villages and down interesting country lanes...

Some compromises regarding space, but not too serious - the wardrobe in the new van is a bit small; but otherwise no real problems. And we've managed to get the perfect layout for us with a pair of large comfy fixed beds at the back. Oh and, surprisingly, a much bigger fridge than in the coachbuilt! Large 100ltr fresh and waste water tanks too.

OP
OP
Fragle
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Looks like most people just cut out all the extra stuff you carry but never use. Always a good idea. Nice to hear from those that have made this move and are happy with the smaller van. The Warwick xls we have sat in do seem more comfortable probably because I end up sitting in the captain chair with the dog sprawled across me:D

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
One thing to check is that you have enough adjustment in the drivers seat
Our last van the adjustment was a bit limited for me but it ticked most of my other requirements at the time so was worth the seat issue.

OP
OP
Fragle
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
One thing to check is that you have enough adjustment in the drivers seat
Our last van the adjustment was a bit limited for me but it ticked most of my other requirements at the time so was worth the seat issue.
Thanks. at 6'2 it is a little cramped but not to bad. I did check and the feeling is we don't really want to be driving for hours on end. One compromise that may have to be made I think on this layout. Just have to have more coffee stops(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back