To CB or not CB (1 Viewer)

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
Hi, peeps, I used to be on CB back in the early 70's, back then they were quite handy and there was quite a few peeps using them.

I have just recently brought a Hymer and was wondering if there are as many peeps using them now ?, UK & Europe?

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I caught the tail end of the CB era in the early 80's, but rarely hear of anyone using them these days.

OP
OP
bigalw35
Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
Many thanks for the prompt reply, they're quite plentiful and cheap now, but no point if no one is using them ?

Cheers
Alan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
The closest I've come to that, since a girl at school had a CB in her bedroom, are short range walkie talkies when in convoy with my parents when going somewhere in the vans. Is CB still popular?

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
I use a radio scanner a lot (antenna on the roof of the MH when on site!) and I've got to say, there's nothing happening on the CB bands these days :(

Which is a shame, was a big fan in the 80's too :)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
There have been groups of funsters that have bought CB's before there are threads about it somewhere They can make convoy touring more safe and enjoyable. Maybe we should buy a job lot cheap and have a nationwide network. "What's your 20 Funsters?"

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Very quiet and those that are on there are mainly still idiots..
Over the years the use of CB for motorhomes and even a dedicated motorhome channel gets mentioned on here and other forums. Never takes off...

Been there done that...
West Brom truck stop....

img110.jpg

img111.jpg

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I use a radio scanner a lot (antenna on the roof of the MH when on site!) and I've got to say, there's nothing happening on the CB bands these days :(

Which is a shame, was a big fan in the 80's too :)

Fond memories of driving around in an old 'L' prefix Toyota, with my 'handle' "TANX" on a windscreen sun strip, a whip antenna on the roof and actually thought the car looked cool :cool:. The CB kit was probably worth more than the car.

I used to park up on a hillside near my parents and chat until the early hours, sometimes 'catching the skip' and briefly conversing with users across the Atlantic (so they reckoned) ?

Mobile phones and Internet 'social networking' are probably today's equivalents.

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Hi, peeps, I used to be on CB back in the early 70's, back then they were quite handy and there was quite a few peeps using them.

I have just recently brought a Hymer and was wondering if there are as many peeps using them now ?, UK & Europe?
@Jaws could probably tell you more about this.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Ahh those were the days late 70's early 80's Vauxhall Firenze 2.3l with a 4 foot fire stick bolted in the middle of the boot lid ala Dukes of Hazard. (y)

Once got stopped by the Police one night and asked about the stick, he suggested it was for my work as I was service engineer for a pit prop supplier and for my works radio :)

Do the truckers no longer use them?

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I bought a couple of cb radios last year including one that picked up the whole 10 and 11 metre bands. Nothing of any interest on them except a few Italians shouting at each other.
I still have a handheld Midland Alan radio that picks up loads of channels, but no one actually using any of them
I think CB has had its day. Shame, used to be such fun in the 70's.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
We had CB in the 80's and 90's before the skip died so understand the nobody on but there are quite a few people still with them basically for convoying I know of one Funster who keeps a spare to lend out when travelling with someone who hasn't got one

Still have time thinking I wish I still had my Super Star 2000

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Some of the classic car lot use them on road trips have a fairly new one in the garage from my son's mini

Oct 20, 2014
Wicklow Town, Ireland
Funster No
MH
2020 Avantgarde 175
Exp
A good few years
Nearly every second car I seen in rural Romania last year had a whip antenna on their roofs!....They use CB there to warn each other of police checkpoints/speed traps etc.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We had CB in the 80's and 90's before the skip died so understand the nobody on but there are quite a few people still with them basically for convoying I know of one Funster who keeps a spare to lend out when travelling with someone who hasn't got one

Still have time thinking I wish I still had my Super Star 2000

The skip peaks every 11 years M C :)
Mind you, the sun was a bit quite this time around ..

ssn_recent2.gif

No idea how many motorhomers have a Chicken Box in the van, but I have and use it quite a bit in traffic jams mainly
I would suggest you get an 80 channel jobby and one that has AM and FM if possible.
Why ? ( esp as AM is still illegal in the UK ! )
Well if you travel on the continent some countries are only legal on AM on the old US channels ( Now called EU/CEPT ) 1 to 18 ( 26.965 to 27.175mhz ), some use the whole of the the CEPT 40 channel range ( 26.965 to 27.405 mhz ) on FM, and of course in the UK, although other members of the Rome Treaty do not like it very much, the original 27/81 frequencies ( 27.60125 to 27.99125mhz ) are still used ( on FM ) as are the CEPTl 40 block frequencies but again on FM

I got the one I have in the van from Maplins as a refurb unit ( though I ripped it apart and aligned it a bit better the moment it arrived ! )

All those using the EU/CEPT 40 block are using FM

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
@Jaws . Think you will find AM and SSB got allowed legally in UK sometime ago. Can't remember when but I know they did make some changes.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
One issue with the "old" 27meg frequencies was it`s tendency to cause accidents with Model Aircraft fliers, who legally used those frequencies in the day. Actually saw one nearly go through the window of an "East Yorkshire" school bus!. Two youngsters on hand-helds where "`aving a laugh" and the guy flying couldn't regain control. One of the reasons radio control model users mover to the 40?meg frequencies.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I wish I new what all the techy stuff was about!!. I am off to Twin Lakes next September with approx another 8 solos and would be great if we could keep in touch. I do have a number of 2 way radios which we will use but once inside the vans the range isn't great. Roughy how much would a basic CB system cost guys?

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
A lot of the tippers still use CB for communication between the shovel driver and other tippers in the quarry etc. Or the sugar beet drivers in the fields.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I fitted a CB in out Motorhome. UK/EU bands FM only. Technically these sets are only for use in the UK, not in the EU. Later sets with FM/AM/SSB bands are OK for UK/EU use from July 2014. Only approved radios are legal to use - it is not legal to use old 80's radios such as Cobra, Ham International etc. Link Removed
Very little activity on FM (UK or EU bands) and where there is, activity it is short, one sentence, bursts between truckers. No rag chews these days wherever I have been.
I also use Amateur Radio.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I wish I new what all the techy stuff was about!!. I am off to Twin Lakes next September with approx another 8 solos and would be great if we could keep in touch. I do have a number of 2 way radios which we will use but once inside the vans the range isn't great. Roughy how much would a basic CB system cost guys?

Here ya go..
http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
@Jaws . Think you will find AM and SSB got allowed legally in UK sometime ago. Can't remember when but I know they did make some changes.
It is under the same ruling as FM not allowed in some European countries.
Sideband and AM CB has never been allowed in the UK and 27/81 rigs have never been allowed to be used everywhere apart from the UK
But for the past 15 years or so no one gives a stuff due to the variance in international licencing..
In many ways that is a bad thing as it has almost encouraged swearing and the like to go on.. But on the up side it is a very realistic stance that has been taken.
It has long been accepted that CB radio can be useful, especially to professional drivers.
It has also long been accepted that people DO travel and travel between countries.
With that in mind and the practicalities of having to change a radio over just because you cross a border, the rules governing what CB radio you can HAVE are lax in the extreme.. Of course, the rules governing what you can USE are still adhered to

But with 98% ( pretty much every where in fact ) all using CEPT/EU frequencies you really do not have to worry too much !

One issue with the "old" 27meg frequencies was it`s tendency to cause accidents with Model Aircraft fliers, who legally used those frequencies in the day. Actually saw one nearly go through the window of an "East Yorkshire" school bus!. Two youngsters on hand-helds where "`aving a laugh" and the guy flying couldn't regain control. One of the reasons radio control model users mover to the 40?meg frequencies.

Most RC stuff that flies is now on UHF but boats and cars are either on 40 megs or the original 27 megs
It was not so much the frequency ( though they did clash ) as the mode.
Back in the day RC stuff used AM same as the old illegal CB's
Without getting too technical and going on about amplitude modulation ( AM ) and Frequency Modulation ( FM ) here is less likely hood of FM interfering with something unless it is on the precise frequency being used

Difficult questions to answer as there are many deciding factors, but a well installed antenna on the end of a standard CB radio should be good for about 4 miles,, As for cost, again too many variables, but judicious use of fleabay and with a bit or help and advice, a good set up should come in under £50
And if you all go for the old UK spec units ( CB 27/81 or MPT1307 specs ) under £30 :)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
All this talk of CB and walky talkies got me wondering if they are still hand held or are there now hands free models? I can't see how using them in the hand while driving would be legal nowadays.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Thanks guys, definitely food for thought. However would need to persuade some of the others that it would be a good idea, and if we travelled together often that probably wouldn't be a problem. For next summer I think we will make do with the plethora of 2 way radios that I have - and hope!!
Last time I checked the use of 2 way radios whilst driving was permitted in the U.K., and I'm hoping the same applies to France.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yes, it is legal ..
Oddly, originally it was legal, then in a bid to combat illegal CB radios it was made illegal, then it was pointed out that a whole lot of rural area emergency service vehicles were manned by a single person and it was ridiculous to make them stop to answer the radio every five minutes, so once again the tables turned and the use of a PTT only mic was made legal

Of course since those days things have moved apace and most mics have up and down buttons etc etc but once again it falls in the category of air horns.. Perfectly legal to own and even have installed in a vehicle.. just illegal to use any of the button apart from the PTT one ( Press To Talk ):)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As a by the by, and to show HOW things have moved on in the mic department, this is a picture of the mic on one of my radios.

s-l500.jpg

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
The wife's patrol car had a telephone handset in it, cutting edge at the time :eek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back