Tiscali (1 Viewer)

owlgirl

Free Member
Jul 7, 2008
Funster No
oh you have my symphathy if you are with Tiscali - we had loads of problems and spent hours on the phone with them trying to sort the problem out.

All they could say was it was our equipment which we knew was OK - we are now with BT and it is wonderful no problems thank goodness.

Take my advice and get rid of Tiscali and your problemds will go as if like magic.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
oh you have my symphathy if you are with Tiscali - we had loads of problems and spent hours on the phone with them trying to sort the problem out.

All they could say was it was our equipment which we knew was OK - we are now with BT and it is wonderful no problems thank goodness.

Take my advice and get rid of Tiscali and your problems will go as if like magic.

Exactly what I am going through now. A asian woman phoned last night, I agreed to test their modem in place of my top quality Zyxel router and she is ringing back this afternoon.

The router just finds that the whole DSL line shuts down. But their cheapo USB modem seems to throttle back the link so a video ( which I don't watch very often ) was a series of jerks.

The service was fine at £30 a month but when TalkTalk rang and offered the same at £15 a month I told Tiscali and they price matched then it all went tits up after 16:00 every day. Obviously too high a contention ratio.

OP
OP
owlgirl

owlgirl

Free Member
Jul 7, 2008
Funster No
This will carry on for months if you let it, we had the same first one then another would ring up then say they had tested etc.

Believe me we were so fed up of it that in the end we change to BT and I can honnestly say we have had no problem since - oh and we still have the same equipment not changed anything.

Good luck, you will need it and plenty of patience, oh when we first went to Tiscali and things started to go wrong I rang to ask if they would move the Telephone cables from the front to the back of the property - big mistake they thought we were moving house in the end I gave up after trying to explain for over half hour.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
This will carry on for months if you let it,

( BTW Love your avatar )

Well pleasant surprise so far. I think my wife may be suspicious of my new Indian lady friend. She's phoned about 5 time now and she's always trying to get me doing *things*. Things so advanced they are not in the Karma Sutra.

First make sure the modem is plugged into a filter.
Then try their USB modem.
Tonight I've had to re-position the router right at the incoming phone line.
She'll be phoning tomorrow to see how I got on. So far tonight a rock solid performance.

I've also updated Firefox so the original problem of this thread may ( or may not ) be solved.

Watch this space for the next exciting episode.

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
( BTW Love your avatar )

Well pleasant surprise so far. I think my wife may be suspicious of my new Indian lady friend. She's phoned about 5 time now and she's always trying to get me doing *things*. Things so advanced they are not in the Karma Sutra.

First make sure the modem is plugged into a filter.
Then try their USB modem.
Tonight I've had to re-position the router right at the incoming phone line.
She'll be phoning tomorrow to see how I got on. So far tonight a rock solid performance.

I've also updated Firefox so the original problem of this thread may ( or may not ) be solved.

Watch this space for the next exciting episode.

If your line is now rock solid as you say then there will be a fault somewhere in the internal wiring that has caused the problems you describe.

connecting the router to the master test socket bypasses all other household wiring,this is why she has suggested this.

This test socket is not normally visible as it is behind the face plate ;however there is a replacement faceplate that allows normal telephone connections ;but allows for a separate modem connection direct to the test socket.

These are available Link Removed if you look at the pic you will see what i mean re: test socket on the LHS.these units also act as a filter too.

If the property you are in is old it is possible that you will have a ring wire fitted this wire is not used these days and used to ring bells around the house , if there is a ring wire fitted this could also cause problems and can be safely removed, you only need the two wires in 2 and 5 click here

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If your line is now rock solid as you say then there will be a fault somewhere in the internal wiring that has caused the problems you describe.
Regards

Yes, BUT, can you picture a fault in the wiring that drops the DSL LED on the router only after 16:00. I can't. But I can't argue with the facts.

The old master socket I have is fitted with the C+R for the bell line. But I'm not sure if removing these is a_good_idea since the whole set up at the exchange will assume these.

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Yes, BUT, can you picture a fault in the wiring that drops the DSL LED on the router only after 16:00. I can't. But I can't argue with the facts.

The old master socket I have is fitted with the C+R for the bell line. But I'm not sure if removing these is a_good_idea since the whole set up at the exchange will assume these.

Not sure what c+r is ;but pretty sure the bell wire is not required ( you could disconnect and reconnect if you think there would be a problem ;but doubt that).Note If you use the test socket you will bypass this anyway.

The reason you are having dropouts is as others have said tascalli are one of the worst rated isp high contention rates and throttling back of service at premium times ie after 4pm to midnight.

The fact that you have now connected direct to the master socket means that your internet speeds have increased ( in some cases can be up to 50% more) to perhaps overcome (just) the drop outs,

one way to prove this would be to take several isp speed tests click here whilst connected to the master socket,then change to where your router was originally and test again.

Regards

OP
OP
owlgirl

owlgirl

Free Member
Jul 7, 2008
Funster No
all sounds so familiar but fortunately we moved from the dreaded Tiscali and now it is purrrfectt meaow lol

Thank you for liking my little Owl, as I am not the brightest spark in the fire I love owls as they look so wise and learned.

Last edited:
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
ummmmmm is it me or has the thread title changed and posts missing ?:Doh:

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The thread was split, the Tiscali problems needed their own thread as they were off topic. The original thread "problems with Fun?" needs to stay on topic so I can see what problems there are if any. No posts are missing, they just have now their own threads. Thanks:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
all sounds so familiar but fortunately we moved from the dreaded Tiscali and now it is purrrfectt meaow lol.

Well it's not dreaded Tiscali here at the moment. The very patient Indian lady guided me, ever so politely, into finding a cure. Last night I hit it hard with YouTube, Dailymotion. I watched a video AND read messages on FUN simultaneously with data coming faster than ever.

You mentioned BT, it does not enjoy a good reputation amongst my computer IT friends.

We used to have an owl here but we've only heard it once in the last year or so. A nearby old stone barn is being converted to a dwelling, maybe that is the cause.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back