Tips to make life in the Motorhome easier. (1 Viewer)

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
As we seem to have a fair new members was wondering of any tips we have learnt along the way.
Ah well - it was a nice try at a serious, helpful thread. :RollEyes:

At least it reminds the new members that the idea is just to have fun & don't sweat the small stuff.

One or two useful tips buried somewhere in that lot though. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now 😢
Exp
When you wild camp face the right way to drive off, leave the keys and your trousers handy, don't use levelling ramps or outside screens, have the captains chairs facing the right way, in fact let the driver stay sober and sit him in the drivers seat, you should also display a sign in the window that says you are not doggers!

If you want to relax go on a site.

By small knickers and visit hot countries where you don't need (many?) clothes......you don't need many anyway you are camping!

A few luxuries are better than a lot of crap and clutter ... You really wont need half the stuff you could take.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
When you wild camp face the right way to drive off, leave the keys and your trousers handy, don't use levelling ramps or outside screens, have the captains chairs facing the right way, in fact let the driver stay sober and sit him in the drivers seat, you should also display a sign in the window that says you are not doggers!

If you want to relax go on a site.

By small knickers and visit hot countries where you don't need (many?) clothes......you don't need many anyway you are camping!

A few luxuries are better than a lot of crap and clutter ... You really wont need half the stuff you could take.

I have never had a problem and wild camped all over the country doggers! sign never herd of that one some campers must pick sum bad arias
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now 😢
Exp
First night out Otley Chevin car park, we can home in the early hours after non stop cars driving in and out and a white van stopping to look through bedroom window.:whatthe::Eeek:

After weeks of worrying if the MH would fit on the drive we then had to reverse on in the dark........ Doing that is now a doddle but wasn't at the time.Apparently this place is a top dogging hotspot.

Got inside and found our clothes were on inside out.:ROFLMAO:

We didn't get a quiet night in Elgin either! Moved at 4am after white van idled about ? :Eeek:but maybe we were just sensitive.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Have a regular clear out...... We carry around so much rubbish that we never need. Sometimes I fall into that category but Dawn doesn't like driving the van so I'm categorised as "slightly useful" ......

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
One thing we did..
The wardrobe was not really needed for hanging clothes as when we are away all our clobber is of the type that can be put on a shelf.
I bought a length of 1" x 1/2" and 'found' four bread trays
Used the wood to put in some runners and the bread trays ( suitably modified to look tidy ) as slide out shelves
Woman has now got enough room for all her clothes and even a shelf for all her womanly based stuff ( make up, straightners.hair drier, more make up etc etc )
There is even a little space left on the top shelf for a few electrical bits and bobs such as the kettle and fan heater

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Coming back to the thread....

Write the dimensions of your MH on a card, both in imperial and metric and fix it in the cab where you can see it. (Remember to include the height of any top boxes or aerials). This is particularly useful if going 'foreign' and you don't know a Metre from a Munter!:winky:

From the Pound Shop, buy two rolls of anti-slip matting. Cut it up to any required size to cure rattles. It's much thinner than bubble wrap, does the same job and will also stop things sliding in cupboards.

Pound shops are a real treasure cave for Mo-homers. Use their kiddies lunch boxes for all sorts, like your water tap connectors. Just remove the stickers. Buy plastic groundsheet pegs plus a puller ( which cost treble elsewhere) or how about a hi-vis tabard - each only a quid. The list is endless from shower/door hangers, to travel clothes pegs and vacuum clothes bags.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I put shelves in our wardrobe to turn it into a larder and pan store as we didn't need it for clothes.

I put racks/hooks on the inside of the wardrobe door to hang the dish drainer etc, and hooks on the inside of the cupboard door above the 'kitchen' for heatproof pan mats (silicone type).

Instead of a normal sized towel we use a microfibre mitt to dry off most of the water, then follow it with a small lightweight hand towel, much easier to find somewhere to hang them to dry and they don't take long either. We have several mitts and that way we can easily change them as required, they take up a lot less space than standard towels, and are quick and easy to wash out too if necessary. For my hair I have a microfibre 'turban' (£1 in discount shops) which really does work a treat. :Smile:

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
I've decanted shampoo, conditioner and shower gel into push top pump bottles, which fit into our shower shelf. Makes showering quicker so less water is used and I'm more likely to get all the hot water as Martin only needs one of the above products (being bald:winky:)

One of our most useful buys has been a torch, always kept by the hab door.

I've gone for comfort and luxury, big fluffy bath towels, 400 thread count sheets and molton brown toiletries, nice china mugs and glasses, really sharp cooking knifes etc. I want anytime spent in the Moho to be as enjoyable as possible. My slumming camping days are over. So my tip is only take stuff you really need, will enjoy or gives you pleasure!

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
OH has washing clothes sorted, bought a container with a tight fitting lid, put in warm water laundry liquid then soiled clothes, seal lid tightly and drive to next campsite or wherever. Agitation of laundry while driving so just a quick rinse then hang out to dry or whatever, simples :thumb::thumb::thumb:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I also decant washing up liquid into said push cap bottles both in the MoHo and at home - did it for the MoHo first and was gobsmacked at how little we used - so replicated it at home.

Not that it's exactly expensive, but it's just silly clagging the drains up (anywhere) with more detergent than necessary.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Always keep your mouth shut when emptying the toilet cassette.

To remove unsightly wing mirrors, try driving up Bala's main street with its idiosyncratic diagonal parking bays on a busy Saturday.

A useful way to test your Motorhome's brakes is to approach any side junction where a BMW driver is waiting to pull out.

On any campsite you will always ensure your popularity with your neighbours if, on arrival, you take out a guitar and a tambourine and announce "OK, let's give thanks to the Lord for our safe journey".

At the supermarket, there is a simple way to ensure that everybody who is incompetent at parking a car stays in one limited area of the car park. Just park your Motorhome, and wait for its in-built moron magnet to start doing its stuff.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

On any campsite you will always ensure your popularity with your neighbours if, on arrival, you take out a guitar and a tambourine and announce "OK, let's give thanks to the Lord for our safe journey".

Absolutely priceless......:roflmto::thumb:

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
You need:
A silk filled quilt, great for winter touring and about the thickness of a summer quilt. A battery operated water pump and a bucket, for when the tap's at the other end of the site. Microfibre towels for space saving and ease of drying. A folding grey water bucket, for when the drain's at the other end of the site. Reich portable scales, to be sure you haven't loaded too much sherry! Some low light output lights, to avoid being dazzled on the nightly toilet trip. One of those water absorbent door mats, for summer trips in the UK. Two people that can live in the same room for weeks and still be friends.

Last edited:

geo glasgow

Free Member
Feb 2, 2014
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail cheyenne
Exp
guess this and what its for and made free from what

2014-04-01 14.55.30.jpg

geo glasgow

Free Member
Feb 2, 2014
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail cheyenne
Exp
plastic trays for morning rolls and bread deliveries

cut out keep them under the van for soft ground or maybe a couple of wheels of side of road wild camping,, there solid hold and spreads the weight, a must have and a free product,, :winky:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We asked the dealer we bought the van from to fit an external 12 volt socket on the side of the van next to the water filler. This makes it easy to top-up the fresh water with an extra 40 litres, on top of the 140 litres, without having to pack things away and drive the van over to the water point and position it over the waste point.

We kept the Aquaroll from the time we had the caravan, this gives us 180 litres of freshwater. We spent 2 weeks on a site recently and didn't need to move the van, it works for us. If we only stay a couple of nights on site, then we wouldn't need to use the Aquaroll/Wastemaster.

I remember a post on here saying they thought this was silly, how some people still used Aquarolls and Wastemasters, but it makes things easier for me and I can store them in the garage under the van.

Bill

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
Listed on Granjan's profile summary:

Interests: cooking, cats, chickens

You cook CATS????????

:ROFLMAO:

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Microfibre towels: we've been using them for years and won't be without them.

LED torches: we keep a few little ones dotted about.

Sharp knives and cook quality kitchen stuff: never skimp on these. Nothing worse than cooking with blunt knives / cheap plastic utensils, etc.

Be methodical: have a set routine for set-up and packing away. Makes life easier and you're less likely to forget stuff.

Keep a good stock of non-perishable food: saves time continually re-stocking and gives you a fall-back. We also keep a few bottles of good single malt in Udo.

Cleaning kit: one always has to have ones motorhome looking its best, dahling. Shiny tyres are so in-vogue.

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
Get a steamer. I can cook a whole meal on a single hob-slot (or whatever they call a single pan place).

It saves gas and saves having to wash up lots of pans.

The one I got packs really small and then it fans out. It stores easily inside even a small pan.

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
One tip that I learned through experience - and thanks to the kind folk on this very forum - was to carry a portable fan heater.

My gas ran out whilst in Amsterdam and I couldn't get replacements. I bought a fan heater for ten euros (what a bargain!) and it heated the MH up beautifully.

Best ten euros I've ever spent :Smile:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
As far as underwear is concerned you can save the good lady a fair amount of laundry work by following the regime re "underpants the wearing of" here:-[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Day 1 ....Wear normally in the approved manner.
Day 2....Wear garment back to front.
Day 3....Wear garment inside out, but back to front.
Day 4....Wear inside out, but right way round.
Day 5....Go Commando.

:thumb:

Hate to tell you this but I had a client that used to do that - and with his sweaters as well. Sorry but I can't find a smiley for feeling ill.

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Also, it's useful to have all electrical appliances, for eg main UK club sites, where they charge you for electricity in the pitch fee.

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
We asked the dealer we bought the van from to fit an external 12 volt socket on the side of the van next to the water filler. This makes it easy to top-up the fresh water with an extra 40 litres, on top of the 140 litres, without having to pack things away and drive the van over to the water point and position it over the waste point.

We kept the Aquaroll from the time we had the caravan, this gives us 180 litres of freshwater. We spent 2 weeks on a site recently and didn't need to move the van, it works for us. If we only stay a couple of nights on site, then we wouldn't need to use the Aquaroll/Wastemaster.

I remember a post on here saying they thought this was silly, how some people still used Aquarolls and Wastemasters, but it makes things easier for me and I can store them in the garage under the van.

Bill
We do the exact same thing :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back