Tips to make life in the Motorhome easier. (1 Viewer)

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
As we seem to have a fair new members was wondering of any tips we have learnt along the way.

One of my pet hates is not having enough or even any hooks in the showers on some sites.... Solution a few plastic coated S HOOKS in the bottom of my shower bag, then just hook them over the door, sorted.

Any more.

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
As we seem to have a fair new members was wondering of any tips we have learnt along the way.

One of my pet hates is not having enough or even any hooks in the showers on some sites.... Solution a few plastic coated S HOOKS in the bottom of my shower bag, then just hook them over the door, sorted.

Any more.
Or these...:thumb:

Broken Link Removed

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Get a friend to hold the curtain:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
We've taken to using Microfibre Bath Towels instead of conventional ones.
They take up no more space than a dishcloth and work really well.
They also take no time at all to dry out...:thumb:

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
You must have different microfibre towels than us,yes they are light and take up little room a dry quickly BUT the reason they dry quickly is they do not dry you !!!

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
It's much easier if you allow your wife to empty the toilet cassette for you whilst you start the engine ready for the off and warming up the van. This way a quick getaway is ensured. :thumb:

Life is made much easier by getting your wife to clean the van on your last stay of your holiday. Then when you get home, all you need do is wash the van outside and your ready to go again :thumb:

Dirty clothes? no chance! not in a motorhome, keep a set in the van for when your away. That way no need to repack your wardrobes every time and you can wear your underpants and knickers for much longer ensuring that there is less washing when you get home. :thumb:

Never leave your sun awning out over night. It can be a horrible job for your wife to get up at 2 am to winde it back in in high winds. :thumb:

Bubble wrap makes wonderful glass protectors when driving, wrap your glasses in bubble wrap and never hear them again, (also works on your wife) :thumb:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
You must have different microfibre towels than us,yes they are light and take up little room a dry quickly BUT the reason they dry quickly is they do not dry you !!!

Same here I use one when I'm away in the tent and have to say its pretty useless and it wasn't a cheap one either its a Lifeventure one.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

Any more.

At the risk of committing the sin of bring us back on topic, my suggestion would be to ensure you have separate shoes for inside the MH. A bit of breathable ground sheet outside the step completes it all and ensures the outside stays out and the inside stays dry and clean.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
my mrs has discovered that if she buys waterproof knickers it saves lots of dirty washing. just run them under the fresh water tap, then give them a shake and put them back on. if youre really posh, then fart a couple of times and the warm air dries them quicker

this is far better than previous ideas....like washing them in the van then running them up a flagpole to dry. last time she did this on a caravan club site, a light aircraft landed between the caravans. he mistook the knickers for a windsock and the rows of lights as a runway

or the time we visited a launderette and one of her bra's jambed an industrial washing machine so badly there was so much smoke and burning rubber the fire brigade turned up

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On the contrary ours work well.
I guess there's varying qualities but these are great.
They take a little getting used to because you feel like you're using a chamois leather instead of a towel but once you get over that they're good.

Sep 5, 2010
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Always - off and on
We use one of these wardrobe storage solutions from Ikea inside the wardrobe(uses half the width). I added two lengths of broad elastic threaded through slits I cut an inch in from the front of each shelf to keep things from falling out. Keep bike helmets/hi vis stuff/ pots and pans/ odds and sods and shoes/sandals in bottom shelf. http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/80245876/

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Bubble wrap makes wonderful glass protectors when driving, wrap your glasses in bubble wrap and never hear them again, (also works on your wife) :thumb:
We had our upholsterer cut circles out of a piece of foam which I then stuck into a cupboard area for holding glasses and cups in place.
Can't fit the wife in it though....

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
It's much easier if you allow your wife to empty the toilet cassette for you whilst you start the engine ready for the off and warming up the van. This way a quick getaway is ensured. :thumb:

Life is made much easier by getting your wife to clean the van on your last stay of your holiday. Then when you get home, all you need do is wash the van outside and your ready to go again :thumb:

Dirty clothes? no chance! not in a motorhome, keep a set in the van for when your away. That way no need to repack your wardrobes every time and you can wear your underpants and knickers for much longer ensuring that there is less washing when you get home. :thumb:

Never leave your sun awning out over night. It can be a horrible job for your wife to get up at 2 am to winde it back in in high winds. :thumb:

Crikey, either Nikki is in a darkened room with no access to her/your laptop, or you are on the starting blocks of another (very fast and far away) run..... :winky::winky:

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
When having a big get together with other funsters make sure you get invited to someone else's van for the evening. You will then be able to walk back to your van leaving them the washing up and cleaning.:ROFLMAO:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Hooks for the shower?

Micro fibre towels dry quicker and take less room?

What are you all on about?

My Top Tip.

Stop washing (clothes or yourself) when motorhoming...

Take a(some) can(s) of Tesco own brand deodorant.

Sorted.

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We bought a couple of microfibre towels from Lidl some 7 years ago and they work fine. At Malvern last year Jill persuaded me we should try the expensive ones on sale at one of the stalls. She likes them and I don't - so now Jill has two expensive microfibre towels and I have two Lidl ones ::bigsmile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
In the Autoquest we used cupboard keepers to stop stuff falling out of the lockers. Because of the different design we don't need them in the Burstner lockers.

We have found that they are ideal in the washroom, mounted between the walls, for drying towels after use and for drying light items we have washed when the weather is damp outside.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Always keep your mouth shut when emptying the toilet cassette.

To remove unsightly wing mirrors, try driving up Bala's main street with its idiosyncratic diagonal parking bays on a busy Saturday.

A useful way to test your Motorhome's brakes is to approach any side junction where a BMW driver is waiting to pull out.

On any campsite you will always ensure your popularity with your neighbours if, on arrival, you take out a guitar and a tambourine and announce "OK, let's give thanks to the Lord for our safe journey".

At the supermarket, there is a simple way to ensure that everybody who is incompetent at parking a car stays in one limited area of the car park. Just park your Motorhome, and wait for its in-built moron magnet to start doing its stuff.

163phil

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Kenilworth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Still only a year after many years camping
We bought a couple of microfibre towels from Lidl some 7 years ago and they work fine. At Malvern last year Jill persuaded me we should try the expensive ones on sale at one of the stalls. She likes them and I don't - so now Jill has two expensive microfibre towels and I have two Lidl ones ::bigsmile:

I don't like the Lidl ones, I like a nice big one.

I'll get my coat:Blush:

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Bought some of these net storage things for magazines and fixed them inside cupboard doors store all sort of things in them
Table mats
Colapsable colander
Utensils

Anything but magazines

petrol tin glyn

Free Member
Jun 29, 2012
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
autotrail cheiftain
Exp
since 2006
:ROFLMAO: never trust a fart:Eeek: no hooks in the shower no problem put your cloths on top of mine:thumb: but don"t tell her indoors:thumb:

Mastercamper

Free Member
Dec 7, 2013
Northumberland Flag Flier
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
50 years campervanning

Life is made much easier by getting your wife to clean the van on your last stay of your holiday. Then when you get home, all [HI]you[/HI] need do is wash the van outside and your ready to go again :thumb:

YOU? YOU? Good God man, That`s the Wifes job

As far as underwear is concerned you can save the good lady a fair amount of laundry work by following the regime re "underpants the wearing of" here:-

Day 1 ....Wear normally in the approved manner.
Day 2....Wear garment back to front.
Day 3....Wear garment inside out, but back to front.
Day 4....Wear inside out, but right way round.
Day 5....Go Commando.

There you are,- 5days laundry reduced to 1 garment wash. .Eventually.

:thumb:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back