Tips on taking your dog in van (1 Viewer)

Bowman

Free Member
Feb 12, 2011
South Northants
Funster No
MH
Fleetwood Pacearrow
Exp
Many years
We have a very large lab who sleeps on the spare bed and gets very annoyed if we have visitors who try and share his bed (not a bad thing when the kids find us) The worst thing is trying to pack. As soon as we pullup in the motorhome outside the house he sits squarely in the front door of the house or motorhome. You’re not going anywhere without me! So any packing has to go over his head, normally tripping my husband on several occasions. We do have a friend that puts the dog bed in the shower.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
One of the problems with dogs in motorhomes that they are always under your feet so it's really important that you find a way to put them outside in a safe and comfortable environment. We have the metal spiral dog tetherers and are about to buy a see through windbreak so that they can be tethered inside the windbreak but be able to see out. We have decided on a windbreak as opposed to awning panels as they will work even if it's too windy to put your awning up. These windbreaks have stabilizing struts between the poles so don't need guy ropes to keep them stable. Saw these at Newark shown and they survived that atrocious weather so should survive our European tour.

We keep our dogs away from the cab area when travelling by erecting a babygate between the rear lounge and the cab. They are not harnessed when travelling, however I think in Germany it is illegal for dogs not to be harnessed and, if you can get your dogs used to it from the beginning I think it's a safer way to travel for all concerned.

They sleep on the floor of the van on their bed between the seats of the rear lounge.

Hope this helps and happy travelling with your new best friend.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Does anyone sleep their dog in the garage in a crate (if you have one)?

Wouldn't even think of it. If I wouldn't make the wife sleep there I won't make the dogs........

Jan 9, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Wouldn't even think of it. If I wouldn't make the wife sleep there I won't make the dogs........

Reason I ask is that our pup is unlikely to get past the chewing stage for several years, if ever. Because I like chairs with 4 legs I would never leave her unattended indoors unless in a crate.
Edit, wife has got past the chewing stage

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lindylooj

Lindylooj

Free Member
Jun 24, 2011
Weymouth, Dorset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Newbie from Oct 2011
Thanks for all the tips guys. Have got a strap that goes into the seatbelt so she can travel on the rear seats with blanket on and sleep there hopefully. Have fallen on our feet with her she came over from Southern Ireland as a rescue dog where they only keep dogs for 5 days in the police pound so Dorset Dog Rescue brings them over here for rehousing. She is a joy, is ok being left alone - although only done this for 4hrs, uses the large cat/small dog flap if she needs to without being shown what it was for. She must have been someone's much loved pet i think.

Off to Broadlands in a couple of weeks so that will be her first trip out in the van. All the walking is tiring me out if not her :Smile:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
As you wish

?

Attachments

• poo.jpg
    poo.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 28

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Our two medium sized dogs have their own carpet and travel harnesses, are not allowed on the seats or beds. In return I don't shout at them, sleep on their carpet or eat their food. seems fair to me.

Road Burner

Free Member
Apr 24, 2008
NORFOLK
Funster No
MH
Coach Built low
Exp
SINCE 2008
Dogs in the van

We have two dogs , a Cocker spaniel and a lab cross. The Spaniel sleeps on the seats any of them ( We have very good canvas covers) the Lab sleeps on the floor as he is now too old to get up on the seats.

Traveling they both sit on the seat with dog harnesses.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
We have an Autocruise Stardream with a rear lounge. In between the lounge and cab is the kitchen and bathroom. If we were to harness the dogs (2 of them) where would we attach the harness to given that they will be travelling in the lounge area. Would it be OK to attach the harness to the legs of the lounge sofas?? Or is there a better solution?

Ukteak

Free Member
Jan 10, 2013
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Kentucky
Exp
We have German Shepherd / Bear X and 4 month old Border Terrier. The GSD sleeps on the floor of the MH or in the awning and Chester will be the Borders first outing in the MH. All the advice given so far is very good, we find you just can't have enough towels. Both ours dogs greet everyone like their best friend (if we are with them) The GSD just want's to play he doesn't realise he's so big.

Enjoy and try not to get too stressed about the mud!!

Malcolm

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
We have an Autocruise Stardream with a rear lounge. In between the lounge and cab is the kitchen and bathroom. If we were to harness the dogs (2 of them) where would we attach the harness to given that they will be travelling in the lounge area. Would it be OK to attach the harness to the legs of the lounge sofas?? Or is there a better solution?

you can get short harnes leads that clip into the spare safety belt clips. assuming you have them other than on the cab seats

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Nix (Border Collie) sleeps on vet bed pad in lounge - not allowed on seats. Have removed enormous German table so plenty of room.

Travels in harness that clips directly into seatbelt socket by lounge passenger seat, so that she is sitting/lying on bed on floor.

When younger she was crated - both for sleeping and travelling. Crate removed when she was 1 year old.

Carpets removed (didn't like them anyway) so no worries about mud. Floor is very easy to clean.

Enjoy your travels with your new dog! :Smile:

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
"you can get short harnes leads that clip into the spare safety belt clips. assuming you have them other than on the cab seats"

Ours is a 2 berth so no spare seatbelts - any other suggestion?

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
At home Kobi sleeps in the kitchen and has a big surprise waiting for him when we get home mid April -- NO MORE sleeping on the bed beside me.

Says you.
rolling_laughing.gif
rolling_laughing.gif
rolling_laughing.gif
rolling_laughing.gif
rolling_laughing.gif

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
"you can get short harnes leads that clip into the spare safety belt clips. assuming you have them other than on the cab seats"

Ours is a 2 berth so no spare seatbelts - any other suggestion?

The main thing is the anchorage must be secure. If you stop in a hurry or are involved in a collision there will be a lot of dog hurtling towards you.

I would be inclined to put a big bolt through the floor with a spreader plate under it and attach a couple of seat belt buckles to it.
Perhaps improvise something from something like this Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back