Tips On France Trip During August

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Gorsecover59, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Gorsecover59

Gorsecover59 Funster

Greetings Sayers of Sooths,
    We have arranged to take our next trip for 3 weeks during the annual French holiday period (yes I know,silly eh?). Unfortunately we had no choice and having never visited during this time, I was hoping for a few tips/pointers other than the "I`ts going to be very busy" type posts.
    We are not ones to generally book ahead and was wondering if this would be a disaster in August?
    We use a mixture of campsites and aires depending whats available.
    Many thanks in anticipation of your replies.
    Martin

2. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

It depends on where you are going; the coastal areas will probably be busy so arrive at aires / municipal campsites earlier than non-coastal areas (around lunch time). We haven't had issues when travelling in August but don't tend to get too stressed if we can't get into our first choice of site. The only problems that I have had were near the Pont Du Gard where there are many more tourists than campsites.

3. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Try not to travel on holiday routes at weekends (starting on Friday afternoons). Last year we were travelling from France into Italy via Briançon over the last weekend in August and the traffic coming back into France was almost continuous (not too bad going into Italy though). We had arrived in France on 19th August and saw relatively little traffic before the Alps passes, but we were not near the coast. We had no trouble finding aires during our ten days in France.

4. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

We holiday every year July/August and as siad coast busy inland easier, but you will always find something. roads can be very busy and why I used to do long jaunts at night....

5. Sheddy

Sheddy Funster

You are going at a great time, there are loads of festivals, carnivals, village fetes going on, as above I would recommend staying away from the coast, and make sure you get get to the aires early. 2 years ago we managed to get into a campsite on Lake Geneva on arrival, and we also used the Municipal campsites which can be found here.

6. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

I hope you have aircon in the motorhome otherwise you may well melt.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Wicketter

Wicketter Funster

Agree with all the above, we always go in August and have always found a campsite. You may have to avoid coastal areas but if you arrive just before 12 you can usually get in somewhere! Enjoy!!