Tipping Tractor Drivers (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I was wondering if it is good etiquette to tip the tractor drivers who get you out.
I was going to and just saw one person do it but others haven't.

Part of me thinks this is what they are getting paid for, I don't get tipped for doing my job. The other part of me is grateful and wants to get them a beer...

there is a slim possibility I may get out without the tractors help though:Cool:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Tipping should be only as a token of appreciation for a job well done.

So, yes tractor drivers are doing the job that they are (well?) paid for but why not tip them a couple of quid for a beer if they've been noticeably nice, friendly, helpful & efficient. Not if they're being surly & grumpy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I was wondering if it is good etiquette to tip the tractor drivers who get you out.
I was going to and just saw one person do it but others haven't.

Part of me thinks this is what they are getting paid for, I don't get tipped for doing my job. The other part of me is grateful and wants to get them a beer...

there is a slim possibility I may get out without the tractors help though:Cool:

Depends how much bodywork he rips off in the process:ROFLMAO:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I guess people (like me) who have worked somewhere where tips are given are more likely to tip others than those who have no experience of receiving tips...

I always tip people whether it is "the custom" or not... :thumb:

I would tip the tractor drivers plenty so they would give me the heads up when they were tugging Slobadoberbob's van off so I could take the photos... for the site you understand... only for the site... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I guess people (like me) who have worked somewhere where tips are given are more likely to tip others than those who have no experience of receiving tips...

I would tip the tractor drivers plenty so they would give me the heads up [HI]when they were tugging Slobadoberbob's van off[/HI] so I could take the photos... for the site you understand... only for the site... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

:roflmto:Slobadoberbob won't need towing, he's been trained and has years of experience plus of course it's RWD with the weight in the right place, not like these ice cream vans the rest of us have..........:ROFLMAO:

Aug 21, 2008
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
Tipping

I got towed of this morning very quickly and without any damage so I dropped the tractor driver a fiver, it was well worth it to be off the field with the weather conditions as they where and with two Geman Shepherds covered in mud every time we took them out.:thumb:

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
I heard one tractor driver tell a guy he'd just towed 'that'll be a fiver'.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Well I for one would not dream of not tipping him/her A fiver is nothing for getting you out of the shit--even if they are paid to drag you out he could always sit on his tractor and let you hook up your van.BTW rear wheel drive and never been stuck yet :Smile:
terry

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
If I get stuck and need a tow I'll gladly tip the tractor driver a couple of quid if he's friendly, helpful and gentle. I got bogged this afternoon with my Focus estate, I'd already been to the customer's van once and reversed out with minimal wheel spin but then a tractor towed a motorhome through my exit route and churned it up badly so I tried a different exit route and got bogged. I let my front tyres down to 5 psi, reversed the car as far as it would go then wedged some cardboard under the front wheels. 2nd gear and big licks on the loud pedal and I made it across the 50 yard lake of mud to the road in one piece although my once blue car is now a fetching shade of poo! Out with the 12V compressor to re-inflate the tyres and we're all happy.

D.

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
I refer JJ to his earlier post !

I would tip the tractor drivers plenty so they would give me the heads up when they were tugging Slobadoberbob's van off so I could take the photos... for the site you understand... only for the site... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Et Tu Brute ????

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
still here JJ not like two Feetwood's towed off

JJ, I have plenty of photos of Rick (motorromain) ..Fleetwood Revolution LE and Brian (Destination Unknown).. Fleetwood Bounder.. who were towed off this afternoon.. what a mess they made.. biggest Furrows ever...as I say have all the dirty photos.. mud that is.

Yes I would tip them.. I have seen them laying in the mud hooking up motor homes all day around me. I would not want that job.... there are three tractors working this area... and they have worked very hard.

If and I say if I need to be towed then I would want to express my thanks to them.... a tip would be the way I would expect to do that.

Would I give you a tip JJ:Blush: my tip would be to stop eating so many FBP:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bob:thumb:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Here's an answer to avoiding tipping!:thumb:

Attachments

• half_track_motorhome_by_1970barracuda-d4igshe.jpg
    half_track_motorhome_by_1970barracuda-d4igshe.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 83

Gran & Rog

Free Member
Apr 17, 2011
Lofthouse, Wakefield
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Eight years
The Tractor Drivers at the shows we worked at used to get tips as a thank you but they never asked for anything.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Dont you just love people who never tip yet attempt to convince everyone that they are doing it for sound reasons. If you dont tip then the next tow will suffer, so think of them.:Blush:

Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
We tipped the tractor driver this morning - he was working hard and in c**p conditions as well so in my book he deserved it. He mentioned that yesterday he made just over £180 in tips so not bad if you can get it on top of whatever the pay is from Warners!:whatthe:

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Our guy `charged us £2`. he looked at the front of the van and said "wheres your ????" didn`t catch what he said but I assume the round metal thingy he then screwed in, don`t know if I have one but if I do, don`t know where it might be. He then said "that`l be £2 mate" looking right grumpy.

The screwing in and out bit added at least 30 seconds to our tow, so don`t know if that`s why he charged us or whether he was charging everyone.

Anyway, I removed 3 pound coins from the 5 I had planned to give him and gave him his £2.

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
I ipped the tractor driver a fiver as he had dragged me on on friday and he even told the brownhills guy that I was next and he was going to take turns between us and him, the brownhills guy had unhitched one of his wagons but when the tractor got bck to me the d shackle was not on the chain, driver found another one and was kneeling in the swimming pool attaching it for me, so I thought a fiver was cheap at half the price, told the bloke he was going to make a fortune today he just smiled and accepted the fiver with genuine thanks. Personally if you dont give him a drink then your a tight arse.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Our guy `charged us £2`. he looked at the front of the van and said "wheres your ????" didn`t catch what he said but I assume the round metal thingy he then screwed in, don`t know if I have one but if I do, don`t know where it might be. He then said "that`l be £2 mate" looking right grumpy.

The screwing in and out bit added at least 30 seconds to our tow, so don`t know if that`s why he charged us or whether he was charging everyone.
Anyway, I removed 3 pound coins from the 5 I had planned to give him and gave him his £2.
If I had been the tractor driver I would have said. Who in their right mind would park on soggy mud if you knew you would get stuck.:Eeek:

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
The tractor drivers were employed by warners, directly or indirectly. Warners take and make a lot of dosh at these events, if the weather is K-rap, they have still got their dosh bulging in its coffers, its the visitors and traders who lose out. A rubbish show, especially one that was broadcast as such prior to opening, can nearly finish a trader, it also impacts visitors who have paid in advance and may have to leave early............Warners (and therefore the tractor drivers) had their dough out of me, I paid to go to the show, the leats they should do is aid my entry and exit.

(did anyone else spot the drivers taking photos of any "iffy" tows, for future protection?)

DMS

Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Feb 2, 2008
Funster No
MH
Concorde 850L
Exp
Time Began
Well I was towed off yesterday with minimal fuss and a really nice guy who must of been soaked to the skin with no damage whatsoever so I think it was well worth the £10 tip I gave him. :Smile:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
The tractor drivers were towing vans ON to the ground on Friday morning !! :Eeek:
I bet the van owners were really pi$$ed off when they got back to their vans and found that some dosey tractor driver had towed their vans onto a marsh without their consent. :Eeek:

TweetiePie

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Movano self build
Exp
on and off since 1968
:roflmto:Slobadoberbob won't need towing, he's been trained and has years of experience plus of course it's RWD with the weight in the right place, not like these ice cream vans the rest of us have..........:ROFLMAO:

They had to get a larger tractor to pull the RVs off, the smaller one couldn't cope, Made a bit of a mess to the ground too, We tipped the tractor driver, I don't think his job discription said " get under that M/home in the water and secure the chain"

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back