Tip for buying tyres (1 Viewer)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
As air is 80% nitrogen anyway I would have thought it was a waste of time paying to swap the other 21% presumably if oxygen leaks out quicker the air in the tyre presumably ends up being nitrogen rich quite quickly anyway!!!

?

Deleted User
As air is 80% nitrogen anyway I would have thought it was a waste of time paying to swap the other 21% presumably if oxygen leaks out quicker the air in the tyre presumably ends up being nitrogen rich quite quickly anyway!!!
But it gives you a top trump in a pissing competition.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
Looking to purchase two new front tyres interested in continental four season tyres but want the ones with the heavier load rating 119-120 size needed is 225 x 75 x. x R16 anyone know where best place to purchase us I'm in Ayr west coast Scotland

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
I think you'll find that with certain tyres, they're made in batches and not all of the time, making shelf availability of that tyre made within the last six months sometimes difficult for the vendor to supply.

This post comes up very frequently on all of the forums and is discussed at length with the same conclusions.

A tyre which has 2015 or 2014 stamped on the side wall and that has been unused, in storage is still classed as new - even when supplying now in 2016. It will have no detrimental effect to that tyres performance or life.
It should be when the tyre is fitted to the wheel and first started to be used and stored on the van (if your van is in storage) that you should then start your count down clocks.
My van takes 225/75/R16 camping tyres.
Michelin are renowned for produces their Agilis Camping tyre in this size in batches. They don't manufacture it all of the time. Only on demand.
As long as they're not supplying you with a 2008 date stamp on the tyre and selling as new, there's no problem. A tyre with 2-3yrs old date stamp is fine and still classed as new for they're industry.
The problem lies with the vendor/tyre shop supplying you, not explaining this and because you are buying a new tyre, you as the customer are expecting one straight out of the mould.
Michelin will confirm this.
So Black Circles and any other vendor is not doing anything wrong with doing this.

Sorry,but this is WRONG WRONG WRONG.
I used to be involved in a group of companies one of which manufactured special tyres and other rubber based industrial products. The instant that a tyre leaves the moulding machine it's rubber compounds begin to degrade through exposure to atmosphere. Sunlight will exacerbate the degradation but it is simply exposure to air that causes yhe compounds to gradually "crystalise" leading to fractures in the compound structure. ....cracking.
Do NOT believe what the grease monkey at you tyre fitting depot bulls hits you about those tyres datestamped 4 years ago being "New guvnor". They are NOT compliant with "new" (ie ex production line) spec at all.
Since being educated by our QC engineers and chemists I have always insisted that tyres fitted to any of my vehicles have a production date (the 4 digit code in which the first two digits are week number and the second two digits are the year) are no longer than 6 months out of the production moulding process. The fitters can flog their old "new" tyres to some other sucker.

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
The only place to buy tyres is P & B tyres, members on here @Brian and Jo. They will also deliver and arrange local fitting.

Super tyres, super prices, super service and, if you arrive at the right time of day, bacon rolls and tea. :)

Seconded for @Brian and Jo , got 4 Michelin Agilis fitted at P&B Tyre's and felt like royalty. As soon as we arrived out came Brian to say hello followed by a big door opening with two fitters ready to start on our MoHo, I am certain we were bumped up the queue but unfortunately no bacon rolls (probably took one look at me and saw his profit vanishing before his eyes if he was to feed me.) were forthcoming but there was loads of free tea. I personally always prefer to deal with the independents as there service is mostly very good and based on word of mouth, plus it felt right to give a fellow funster our business. (y)

image.jpeg

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
The only problem I had with Kwikfit was that they couldn't supply the correct metal high pressure valves. Great price, only available online though and the tyre was only a couple of months old from its manufacturer date.

Deleted User
I personally always prefer to deal with the independents as there service is mostly very good and based on word of mouth,

I have dealt with a local small independent for 30 years, over that time I have price checked occasionally with the nationals but never achieved a better price, occasionally get the 'we will price match', I think you can guess my answer.

We are now in the 'online' era and no doubt I may be able to achieve slightly lower prices online but good service and loyalty count a lot for me.

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
Mmmmm: better, faster, cheaper, more efficient, blah blah blah. If I take a pee in the Atlantic it warms it up........................................but not by very much

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
I got 4 from kwikfit in march all markedFeb this year ,But l don't understand why the do not fit metal valves .I checked each one of mine as the removed the tyre and the looked fine so I asked them just to change the inners .I feel safer knowing metal valves are fitted .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back