Tinca's on Tour

Discussion in 'Spain' started by Tincataylor, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Tincataylor

Tincataylor Funster

The ferry is booked (one way) for our departure on 14th December from Portsmouth to Bilbao and even though its a few weeks away we are getting really excited about the trip. The intention is to post a report of our travels whenever possible, along the lines of the Devon Bee Keeper thread, and as we have never done a tour abroad in our camper before we hope that our adventures and lessons learned will be of use to others. Our plan, such as it is, will be to make our way to the coast via Rioja and Zaragoza in time to spend at least a week over Christmas on a site by the sea in the Tarragona area.
    It is deciding on a campsite for the Christmas break that we would like to draw on the experience of other Funsters as we are naturally looking for others to spend the holiday celebrations with. A trawl of the web has thrown up three possible sites and we wondered if any of you have or are intending to use any of them; they are Estanyet, Ametlla and Cala d'Oques which are all quite close together. Naturally if you know of others close by then we would like to hear of your recommendations.
    We have given ourselves no firm date to return and we intend to travel slowly in a roughly clockwise direction along the coast with multiple detours inland as and when the fancy takes us. The plan (?) is to finish up travelling North through Portugal before returning to Bilbao / Santander for the trip home. We also intend to take in as much of the culture, food and wine of the different regions we will be visiting and this is made easier as Mrs Tinca is a fluent Spanish speaker; at least she is before too much wine has been consumed.

Preparation so far has been making sure all household management can be done remotely via 'tinternet and getting the camper prepared. It now has a brand new MOT, new front discs and pads and a re-fillable 11Kg gas cylinder, the latter being a really simple DIY job with the help of Gas-It.

All helpful suggestions are welcomed and we hope to be able to keep this an informative, and humorous, thread for others to follow as we make our way down stranger roads than we are used to. Did I mention that we are excited?.............its way more that ..............

The Tinca's

• Like Like x 6
  2. Debs

Debs Funster

Sorry, can't help with recommendations but really looking forward to reading about your travels:) I too, enjoyed DBK's posts:)

Bon voyage (y)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jandek

Jandek Funster

Good luck with your travels. Sorry dont know any of those places so cant help. Would think you need to book your stay for christmas as am sure will be a lot that are fully booked. We head down that way mid jan and could not get in our chosen site and that was a month ago. Keep posting... may see you somewhere!

4. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Sounds wonderful, look forward to following your travels (y)

5. Tincataylor

Tincataylor Funster

Another small piece of the preparation puzzle was put in place today. We had long discussions as to whether we wanted TV in the motorhome, and if so what equipment would we require to ensure we had reception in Spain and Portugal. As always the pages of "Fun" were a mine of useful information and from this we were able to make a decision. We decided that if we could not do without UK TV for a couple of months while in a foreign country, where everything around us would be new and fresh, then it was a poor job. However we also recognised that it would not all be beer and skittles weather wise while away and there would inevitably be days when we would be banged up in the van with it hissing down outside. I think DBK had more than his fair share while he was on tour so hopefully he got our share as well. Our "solution" has been to purchase an external hard drive for the laptop on which we have loaded up endless seasons of Mad Men, The Sopranos and Spooks which we have never watched. We are still adding to the list of media as and when we think of it so there should always be something to while away the odd hour or so. To be honest this is not so different from when we are home as we tend to watch more recorded than live TV; I still feel smug when fast forwarding through the adverts.

We have decided that the Estanyet campsite near Tarragona http://www.estanyet.com/index.php?Idioma=EN looks good to us and we are in the process of booking a week there to cover the Christmas holiday. If anybody else likes the look of it as well and wants to join us, or is already there, then the more the merrier.

The Tinca's

• Like Like x 1
  6. PORKSTER

PORKSTER Funster

7. Tincataylor

Tincataylor Funster

Porkster,

Many thanks for this, all recommendations gratefully received. We have friends in Castellon that we will be visiting in the New Year and this site could prove very useful, how long are you guys planning to stay there?

8. PORKSTER

PORKSTER Funster

Hi we came on here for the night yesterday afternoon we haven't left yet. The locales are now playing boules I think I see a Xmas dinner option possible

9. Tincataylor

Tincataylor Funster

As part of our preparations something has cropped up that is probably old news to a lot of you, but if it helps just one person that was unaware then this post will be worth while.
    We have purchased a one way ticket on the ferry as we have no form plan of when we will return to UK. Then somebody pointed out to me that I need to check the "Unoccupied" terms and conditions of our household insurance policy for extended periods away from the house. I have contacted our insurers and it turns out that if we had gone away without notifying them then our insurance cover would have been severely compromised.
    I hope this may prove useful to other duffers like us who had not given it a second thought.

The Tinca's

• Like Like x 2
  10. JJ

JJ Funster

Enjoy...

And please include photos if possible...

(y)

JJ :cool:

11. LAM

LAM Funster

HI 'the Tinca's,
    We had a similar situation when our cottage flooded. We were informed by our insurers (after many enquiries from us), that if the property was empty for 6 months our insurance would not be valid. Has your insurers 'dated' your absence, because now that we are retired we are away a great deal ?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Tincataylor

Tincataylor Funster

LAM,

Firstly I have to read the "unoccupied exemptions" clauses in the policy document and then ring them with the approximate dates when the property will be unoccupied (a thieves charter if it fell into the wrong hands), then they will decide to either
    1. Do nothing
    2. Declare the whole policy null and void
    3. Ask for an additional premium
    No guesses for which of the above it will be.............

The Tinca's

13. LAM

LAM Funster

Get your hand in your pocket !! :frowny:

14. Tincataylor

Tincataylor Funster

This has now been resolved by having to cancel my existing policy and take out an entirely new one with another company that allows me to be away from home up to 90 days. To those people who have responded saying that they get round the occupancy clause by getting their neighbour to pop in occasionally, I would urge them to check the wording of their policy documents as they may find themselves uninsured.

The Tinca's

15. joncris

joncris Read Only Funster

Also don't forget to turn off the house mains water and drain the header tank including the taps. If you don't it may be that your ins. cover for burst pipes is invalidated

Also its a good idea to notify the local plod that you'll be away and give them a contact number or email address should owt happen

16. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

How do you manage any copyright issues loading the DVDs onto the hard drive? I don't mean in a legal sense but I thought they generally don't copy across easily due to copy protection technologies.

17. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

Easy when you know how..

It is perfectly legal to digitize media you already own or have rights to so there are both hardware and software solutions available. I download all my media now but I used to use DVD decrypter for the task (software)

• Like Like x 1
  18. DJA

DJA Funster

Hi DBK

We take hardrives when we go away with recordings on them of programmes we can watch whilst it is hissing down.

There is a programme called magicdvdripper which costs about £35 which will convert DVD recordings into various formats. I know there are cheaper programmes but this one works every time. We have an Avtex tv and so we also download the DivX coding from the same website and produce .avi files. This works very well for us however should you want to copy bought DVDs it will also convert those. Not a facility we use, must be my Scottish heritage, as we don't buy DVDs but I know it definitely works. It means you can convert a DVD collection and store on hardrives and play via a Smart tv for example and the DVDs can be packed away.

One word of caution the Avtex tv's need usb2 not usb3 hardrives and the hardrives must be fat32 formatted like a usb stick. I know usb3 is back compatible with usb2 but they don't work on the Avtex

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Tincataylor

Tincataylor Funster

• Like Like x 1
  20. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Many thanks, I feel as though I have been given honorary membership of the Guild of Rippers. I will investigate as this seems like a way to play my blu-ray disks in the MH. They work at home but my Avtex TV just gives the digital equivalent of "?" if I load a blu-ray disc.

• Like Like x 1