Timing house lights when your out (1 Viewer)

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Like a lot of people I've used a plug in timer to a table lamp to give impression of house being occupied when we're out.

I wanted to upgrade to having something to switch the main room light on and off. Looking at a lot of timers which fit in place of the standard wall switch it would appear that most of them won't operate if the bulb is low wattage ie energy saver or led.

But I have bought one of the below and it works a treat !! Bonus is that even non-electricians can fit it. It has many programmable functions and works on 1, 2 or 3 gang switches. Tho I have found that the switchplate needs to be a flat variety, not bowed outwards. It is easily removable for when it's not needed.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/light-switch-timer-fits-over-standard-sockets-no-wiring-required-a07qy

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Like a lot of people I've used a plug in timer to a table lamp to give impression of house being occupied when we're out.

I do something similar but the reality is that it's so easy, so common what self respecting thief would be influenced by it ?

Also if the curtains are open you are actually helping them.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
We have a few places on our estate used as holiday home or weekend place and they stand out like a sore thumb with the hall light coming on and curtainss that do not move. They shout out nobody lives here all week.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Sandancers
May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
I do something similar but the reality is that it's so easy, so common what self respecting thief would be influenced by it ?

Also if the curtains are open you are actually helping them.

Next on my project list is finding / making some motors that close / open the vertical blinds at specific times.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
You can get ones that go between the light fitting and the bulb that don't go to a time but are more random.. if you do use a timer don't set it for a round time set it a bit off.. so 7 minutes past not 15 etc

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Goshawk

Free Member
Mar 2, 2014
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
my son uses a system operated from his mobile phone, brilliant piece of kit but not cheap, it can switch a light on any time or off and even change colour, its called Phillips Hue, and requires starter kit and colour hub for router, i think thats right looking to get one myself:)(y)

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Well for us we think that the motorhome not being on the drive is a bit of a giveaway, probably better to invest in an alarm with an internal noise generating siren. The scroats don't then stop long in your property, thus minimising your losses.

That's the theory anyway! We should have had one in January this year when we had visitors whilst we were in Portugal it would have minimised our losses quite considerably.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back