Time to resurrect the Zeebrugge ferry. ? (1 Viewer)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
There were another two trucks local to us on board (rycrofts) as well that were carrying haz. Scary it could have been a lot worse.
The great thing about the Immingham to Zeebrugge ferry is that they have very large open sides and if a wagon causes a problem, it can be jettisoned mid sea. I carried Hazardous substances to and from Belgium and because of its nature (toxic, flammable, corrosive etc, we weren't allowed to travel on passenger ferries, hence the route and sea line we had, Cobelfret.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
When I worked down felixstowe dock we got ferry trips for port taxes only, I think it was something like £6 to go to Zeebrugge in a car.

OP
OP
PhilG

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
it needs to be from Dover , short and sweet to keep costs down and turnround up, long crossings cost too much , ok if you go once a year , if you once a month , it gets cost prohibitive real quick.

Supposed to be going over next thursday night, but if it carries on as it is , i will sack it off and fly, buy a car out there and use that instead.

If i thought for a second it was actually really achieving anything , i wouldn't feel so pissed off, but as it is, all it does is cause resentment , which is precisely what it was designed to do.

Makes my decision to not spend any more money in france again easier to deal with though LOL.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

roamingman

Banned
Mar 14, 2014
Angus
Funster No
MH
Coach build
Exp
2012, tents, caravan. 1990
The great thing about the Immingham to Zeebrugge ferry is that they have very large open sides and if a wagon causes a problem, it can be jettisoned mid sea. I carried Hazardous substances to and from Belgium and because of its nature (toxic, flammable, corrosive etc, we weren't allowed to travel on passenger ferries, hence the route and sea line we had, Cobelfret.
When I first started going to Zeebrugg from Dover thier was no check on Hazardous cargo, we carried allsorts we had no idea what we carried, most times the doors were shut after we were outside the harbour.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
it needs to be from Dover , short and sweet to keep costs down and turnround up, long crossings cost too much , ok if you go once a year , if you once a month , it gets cost prohibitive real quick.

Supposed to be going over next thursday night, but if it carries on as it is , i will sack it off and fly, buy a car out there and use that instead.

If i thought for a second it was actually really achieving anything , i wouldn't feel so pissed off, but as it is, all it does is cause resentment , which is precisely what it was designed to do.

Makes my decision to not spend any more money in france again easier to deal with though LOL.

Its not The French being awkward,,its for security for f.... sake. Its for your and every body elses safety...If they do their dammed..if they don't its the same...Do you not think The French do not want us to visit and spend money,,if so there is no hope for you,,,sad. BUSBY...:)

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
We have avoided Dover and the tunnel for a long time now. Mainly due to getting from Manchester down all the congested routes.

We use Portsmouth or Hull.

There are a few routes I would like to see, Norway, Denmark and Liverpool to Spain.

We live in Hope.

TM

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
But the 'Herald' disaster wasn't anything to do with terrorism or national border security - it was ship design, human error/neglect and a poor company safety ethos that caused it.

Pete's been wondering if they've re-opened the 'Douane' on the A16 as you enter Belgium from France?
Didn't say it was. Said we just missed being on it. We saw her on her side a few days later and still remember the stark footage.

OP
OP
PhilG

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Its not The French being awkward,,its for security for f.... sake. Its for your and every body elses safety...If they do their dammed..if they don't its the same...Do you not think The French do not want us to visit and spend money,,if so there is no hope for you,,,sad. BUSBY...:)

If that's the case ,you up the manpower considerably and minimize the impact , you don't have one man at the busiest port in Europe for passengers checking passports .. if you really think that it is keeping us safe , you are sadly wrong... like I said before , shutting down gates to create queues , then using ' its keeping us safe' as an excuse just doesn't wash with me.

I travel 2 or 3 times a month, either by plane or by ferry , and when you question 'increased security' by asking why they only have half the gates open that they had the week before , you just get a shrug.

Its posturing and its stupid. I have long thought that they don't want us there, which is why I now wont go, and I have spent a lot of time there in the past , and would have done more in the future, but I just wont .

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
If that's the case ,you up the manpower considerably and minimize the impact , you don't have one man at the busiest port in Europe for passengers checking passports .. if you really think that it is keeping us safe , you are sadly wrong... like I said before , shutting down gates to create queues , then using ' its keeping us safe' as an excuse just doesn't wash with me.

I travel 2 or 3 times a month, either by plane or by ferry , and when you question 'increased security' by asking why they only have half the gates open that they had the week before , you just get a shrug.

Its posturing and its stupid. I have long thought that they don't want us there, which is why I now wont go, and I have spent a lot of time there in the past , and would have done more in the future, but I just wont .

And if the same people we speak of were running a business, they would be bust. Likewise, if they or their employees received service like they provide (Think of anything from a consumer aspect) and they would be doing their nut!.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Due to all the ongoing problems at Dover over the past few years we have changed our ferry crossing to Newhaven/Dieppe, very quiet crossing, food rubbish but as you can overnight on quayside it makes for a hassle free crossing. We have also compared the costs and if you take into consideration the added fuel costs of traveling to Calais the overall cost is comparable.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
You can go from Harwich to the hook, I think when I looked early in the year it was about £200 each way.

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Dover delays, why does May not tel the French to get Calais sorted now or all the French imports will have to be sent to Kirkwall in the Orkneys to be checked by the custom officers there before it can go on sale in the UK. Believe French did similar with Jap tv's a few years back !!
Back stabbing dirty French buggers always screwing up everything at the channel ports !!

OP
OP
PhilG

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
They stopped doing it when the public disliked the very name Zeebrugge and the trucks went by road as it was quicker to Calais??? than the extra travel on the ship. The fuel prices also went through the roof so they killed it.
The man held responsible for the disaster by not closing the bow visor died this week. It was a management system fault bad by design that caused the sinking. the ship were turned around very quickly and little checking done, also ALCOHOL was freely available to the crew and that led to all manner of trouble with all of the ships.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Brugge is Flemish - Bruges is French ... totally different languages. Zeebrugge = Bruges-sur-mer

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back