TICK REMOVER (1 Viewer)

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Just seen Pedro wishing merry exmas thats just reminded me to get a tick remover for my old dog as last year he picked up 2.
Any place that does them cheap?

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I don't really know because at skool I never got any, innitt.:D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chrisinplymouth

Free Member
Aug 11, 2013
Plymouth UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2015
Little tip I got from an army guy when their dogs are deployed in afghan etc....use a chemical impregnated wipe, eg an alcohol wipe or I have used screenies fron lidel.... Gently grip the tic and rub chemical of choice into body of the tic, this causes it to withdraw its mouth parts, then gently pull....hey presto...tic removed no bits left to risk infection.

Chris

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Little tip I got from an army guy when their dogs are deployed in afghan etc....use a chemical impregnated wipe, eg an alcohol wipe or I have used screenies fron lidel.... Gently grip the tic and rub chemical of choice into body of the tic, this causes it to withdraw its mouth parts, then gently pull....hey presto...tic removed no bits left to risk infection.

Chris
Interesting, not heard that before, but use the hooky thing or tweezers usually:xThumb:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Interesting, not heard that before, but use the hooky thing or tweezers usually:xThumb:
Sounds brill!! I must tell the guy next door, he's had this tic for years. Cant understand him at all sometimes.

Spanishsteve

Free Member
Oct 18, 2014
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Hymer 578
Exp
Do a google search as there's a few good videos on what a tick in the skin looks like and how to remove them properly.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I've had two myself ! One on my inner thigh in France. The other on the back of my neck in Australia.

Yeeukkkk.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I cant find the link now but a couple of years ago saw a video where you rest your finger lightly but with slight pressure on the body of the tick and rotate in either direction like a mini 'round and round the garden' action, it is amazing tried it three times now never failed, apparently it makes the tick giddy and it retracts fully

Worth a go particularly if you are stuck with out the fork, which I must say I have never found very easy due to long fur on Lola

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Tick remover just use some meth's on a bit off cotton wool even after save less chance of infection any spirit will do I have never used one of those tick removers sum one who used to be a friend tried to remove a tick Frome my dog with one of them things I ended falling out with him
just a cotton bud socked in any strong spirit will make the little buggers let go
bill

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
We were given some advice by a kind German which works well, cover the tick with some Vaseline for two or three minutes, they can't breath, and naturally start to withdraw. Once they are reasonably visible use a tissue to get a grip, gently turn and pull. Normally ensures that they come out without to much problem. The other tip is to do the same with nail varnish, again stops them breathing

Quintapedro

Campsite Owner Portugal
Feb 20, 2013
N37"09.24 W008"12.34
Funster No
MH
Motorhome Site
Exp
hello

I do it with alcohol and cotton. ... it's very easy, jusr put a lit bit alcohol cotton, put near the tick and it lose them self from the skin.... after pick it up and do little BBQ with it....lol

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Does any kind of alcohol work, vodka, wine etc or does it have to be rubbing alcohol which I read about often and never find in shops.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
We were given some advice by a kind German which works well, cover the tick with some Vaseline for two or three minutes, they can't breath, and naturally start to withdraw. Once they are reasonably visible use a tissue to get a grip, gently turn and pull. Normally ensures that they come out without to much problem. The other tip is to do the same with nail varnish, again stops them breathing

Should NOT do this! It can cause them to throw up before retracting and that is where most of the nasties are! :xsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back