Tick Borne Encephalitis - Austria

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Phill D, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Phill D

Phill D

Though this may be of interest to others and also welcome any comments..

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/tick-borne-encephalitis-immunisation

Was looking to go to Austria to do lots of hill walking with wife and our dog. stumbled on the fact that Austria is considered an endemic area for Tick Borne Encephalitis and they recommend vaccination at £60 a person per shot ( theres 3 shots ) or at least 2 to be minimal effective. so thats a minimum of £120 each.....:cry: or go without.

no such protection for the Dog he has to lump it ( apart from normal tick treatments ) but still can be bitten by infected ticks and the disease transfered to the dog before the tick dies and falls off.

it says that it can have serious effects on the brain of both humans and dogs and that the Austrian population is vaccinated against TBE.

Our biggest worry is if the dog picks up ticks while in the mountains ( anything below 1500M) and they fall off in the van and get into bedding or any carpets / cushions and they are then waiting for their next unsuspecting meal.:Eeek:

we are now reconsidering our trip :Sad: and thinking of replacing Austria with French Alps which may well have ticks but not considered an endemic TBE area.

2. Phill D

Phill D

3. Chybax

Chybax Read Only Funster

Dont want to worry you but our son had Encephalitis (not from tick) and it caused his heart to stop twice and he was left serverly brain damaged . If I were you Id take every precaution going for a safe trip :thumb:

4. Phill D

Phill D

I am really sorry to hear that of your son that is sad.

When i mention this to Wifey well be going to French Alps and giving both the Swiss and Austrian alps a miss. :Eeek: not been to Auistria in 30 years and this apparently has taken hold in the last 10 - 15 years and spreading into Bavaria.

5. 1948

1948 Read Only Funster

6. bungy

bungy Funster

7. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

We have TBE here where we live and it's prevalent in many areas across Europe. The warnings are not always up to date and and area that doesn't warn it has it doesn't mean that its hasn't.

Treat your dog with something like "Spot on" and the Tics will not take hold, better still wash him in some anti Tic shampoo as well and the buggers won't even grab a hold. Long grass is the danger area and also low bushes.

In severn years here we have never had a problem and the dogs bring back Tics on an almost daily basis in high season, they are active from around May to Oct.

Treat the dog, avoid long grass and keep an eye out for them after each walk. Worst case you have to remove one from yourself with tweezers, we've had to do that a few times.

• Like Like x 1
  8. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

No comment regarding TBE but patient.co.uk is the public information site of a business that operates EMIS, an information system used by many GP surgeries. Ours uses it as their 'back-office' system and also as the online appointments booking system (which is really great from my point of view). I think it's a 'pucker' supplier and part of the information database is for medical professionals - the doctors use it.

9. sedge

sedge Funster

Aaarrgghh - unfortunately much like mozzies, they like the taste of me.

10. wanderer

wanderer Funster

I think the TBE innoculations come in 3 and there is quite a long delay between each to get full cover , this means that you have to have the first injection i think 6 months before you travel.
    We travelled overland last year from London to Singapore which took six months and there were numerous suggested medicines and jabs , we went for
    Tick borne encephalitis PAY £180 each
    Japanese encephalitas PAY £180 each
    Rabies PAY £240 each
    Maleria PAY £450 each
    Hepatitus B PAY £50 each
    The NHS have free jabs for tetanus , hepatitus A, Typhoid , flu etc

In hindsight if i went again i would only go for the Maleria tablets and Hepatitus B and the free ones but that is a personal decision.
    For anyone who is interested we went for Malerone (maleria) less side effects but were lucky as our gp wrote a nhs prescription by mistake and saved us £900 . You can get docycyclone (bad spelling) for under £100 but these can have side effects such as nightmares and sun burn , you pay your money and take your choice

• Like Like x 2