Thunderbird Email Client Virus Protection

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Braunston, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Braunston

Braunston Read Only Funster

Hi,

I have just changed over to Thunderbird 3 as my email client as I can't get on with Outlook 2003, and i use the free version of Avast for virus protection, but it doesn't appear to be working with Thunderbird or if it is its doing it very quietly :Rofl1:

Is there anyway to check if Avast is working I know its running in the background but it doesn't show any signs its checking the mail in or out,

This has all come about from upgrading to Windows bloody 7 ultimate what a wast of time, my old version of Vista Home Premium and Outlook Express was better.

Hope that makes sense

2. neilmac

neilmac Read Only Funster

I'm using Thunderbird and the lastest (5 I think) Avast.

If I open up Avast it confirms that my mail shield is working and the boxes are ticked that say its scanning inbound and outgoing emails.

Hope this helps :Smile:

3. Spacerunner

Spacerunner Read Only Funster

A good anti-virus won't be intrusive, almost invisible in fact.

I use McAfee, its almost £50 p.a. and it just gets on with the job. The only time I know its there is the daily virus update which I choose to be notified by.

4. 1_man_and_his_dob(lo)

1_man_and_his_dob(lo) Funster

Yes, unless you get a virus warning you probably won't know if it's working. Anybody want to send one to Braunston? :Wink:

I'm running Avast! 4.8 (paid version...business use) on an XP machine that used to run Thunderbird and if I look at the "Warning" log I see a number of lines saying "Signs of <virus name> found in message....". These correspond to the times I got the big warning klaxon and "Panic!" message. I can find no other logs that tell me when the emails were being scanned but nothing was found.

5. Braunston

Braunston Read Only Funster

Hi,

Thanks everyone for your inputs, I have just found that if I open Avast and click on the "Internet Mail" under Installed providers and then go to the "Customise button" which is found to the right-hand side under "Provider Configuration" then under the POP tag if you click on "Insert note into clean messages", and then send yourself a message/email it stamps the bottom stating that Avast has scanned the incoming mail.

hope that makes sense

Thanks