Thrown out of Salthill near Gallway. (1 Viewer)

The wizened of OZ

Free Member
Jan 20, 2012
Brisbane Australia
Funster No
MH
C Class Bailey 745 SE
Exp
Newbie to U.K. Extensive in Oz.
Police just came by and told us that the local council does not allow parking of any sort by motorhomes. Even if the area has no signs or warnings you cannot park and go shopping or anything else. Verrry motorhome unfriendly.

Keep your money out of Salthill and Galway. :cry:

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Police just came by and told us that the local council does not allow parking of any sort by motorhomes. Even if the area has no signs or warnings you cannot park and go shopping or anything else. Verrry motorhome unfriendly.

Well it is their lost , wonder if they like any tourist at all

How very unfriendly indeed....:thumb: can count us in not to visit there in the future

Tom i would go where you are welcome and not let it upset you
Kath

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
:Angry:
Well, that's not very nice is it? We were planning to go across to Co. Mayo sometime, but will need to be careful where we go now:RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
perhaps they think you are a traveller

Perhaps they think you are a traveller - as in Gypsy... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bob

Feb 3, 2008
ireland
Funster No
MH
class a r.v.
Exp
10yrs

yoo should of told them to sodd off..:Angry: .they have no rite to tell you not to park there. if there are no parking restriction signs, its up to the council to do something about it, and i think for the amount of time your there, there not gonna bother you anyway...

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
yoo should of told them to sodd off..:Angry: .they have no rite to tell you not to park there. if there are no parking restriction signs, its up to the council to do something about it, and i think for the amount of time your there, there not gonna bother you anyway...

You forgot an important fact - it's Ireland :ROFLMAO:

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Thats really strange as I come from Galway and there are always lots of mh's parked down by the docks. We have parked ours outside my mums house when we have gone over to visit and never had any problem -its in a parking zone and just put the valid ticket on the windscreen.

I wonder if its to do with Volvo Ocean Race which has just arrived this am into Galway and that they are moving on people who have parked up?

Please dont let it put you off travelling about Ireland as we have always found it to be motorhome friendly.

Kath & Howie

OP
OP
The wizened of OZ

The wizened of OZ

Free Member
Jan 20, 2012
Brisbane Australia
Funster No
MH
C Class Bailey 745 SE
Exp
Newbie to U.K. Extensive in Oz.
The whole of the main town and the sea front is designated as NO motorhomes. The Garda gave us 30 minutes to move or be fined. The same warning was given to about 50 other motorhomes. The area we were in had no sign posts of any sort but the policeman said that they had instructions from the council and they had to act. We had parked for about an hour before we were moved on. Spending our money in Athlone. :thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Kath could well be right about the Volvo event. The parking order on the council web site only restricts overnight parking & habitation. There are, however, temporary restrictions for the race which affect the parking areas in Salthill and apply to all vehicles.

sue1959

Free Member
Feb 11, 2010
Ireland
Funster No
Exp
non as yet, hired in Canada a couple of times. hope to buy in the next few years.
As Bob says travellers - it's their holiday time of year. 50 motorhomes is a hell of a lot to be on the prom all together!

MHVirgins don't let this put you off coming over. Just don't try and overnight in Galway!

atlantisbird

Free Member
Mar 26, 2012
Near Bridlington
Funster No
MH
New Bentley C Class
Exp
since 2012 in own van
G'day mate!

::bigsmile:
Now you know what you needed to do having come all the way from Austrailia
to keep on the right side of the local Irish police don't you!

Should have bribed him with your calgoolie gold.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Hope the experience has not spoilt the rest of your trip.

Our kindest wishes

Ann & Harry

Atlantisbird.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have been trying to talk Woman into going to Ireland rather than the continent this year..

We are now going to Germany or France.... I really do not give a stuff if it a boat race or the queen of sheeba in town.. They do not want us there so happy to oblige.... ( I REALLY dislike obnoxious, threatening plod activity at any time or indeed in any place )
Loadsa places all over Europe that welcome us with open arms, so no reason to risk running the gauntlet of can we park or not !

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
I asked my mother what was happening and she told me that there were at least 40 mhs parked on the prom on Saturday night - she has an avid interest now as she knows all about layout, garages etc :RollEyes:

However from speaking to her tonight she says that the city is packed with people because of the Volvo ocean race and I suspect they have put in a temporary parking ban.

Sorry you were disappointed with your visit and I can assure you it is normally a mh friendly place.

Happy travels in the rest of Ireland

Kath & Howie

Hoganhall

Free Member
Apr 23, 2014
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
Have stayed at Salthill recently, had no problems loads of motorhomes parked up there.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I have been trying to talk Woman into going to Ireland rather than the continent this year..

We are now going to Germany or France.... I really do not give a stuff if it a boat race or the queen of sheeba in town.. They do not want us there so happy to oblige.... ( I REALLY dislike obnoxious, threatening plod activity at any time or indeed in any place )
Loadsa places all over Europe that welcome us with open arms, so no reason to risk running the gauntlet of can we park or not !
I'm with you Jaws, I've never ventured over to Ireland in the MH but it was high on my list of places to travel, but I'll avoid it at the moment, just in case :crying1:

It's a lot of money to fork out for ferries etc, on a statement that they're usually MH friendly :think:

Even if they had introduced temp parking restrictions, they surely should have posted signs to let everyone know :worried:

I wonder where 50 MH's disappeared to that evening :swear:

I'll spend my pennies elsewhere until I hear different ::bigsmile:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
This was a 2012 thread that has been rediscovered

I am now a bit wiser to this phenomenom (not sure I can spell it though!!)

In the past I have liked posts in a reopened ancient thread , one clue that did not help with this one is often the high number of read only members, due to the age of the thread their membership will have lapsed

Hopefully now a different story over there

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
For goodness sake, Ireland (including the northern bit!) is a big place - it is lovely, very relaxing and friendly. We've been 3 times now, we were there last year for 5 weeks and had a wonderful time and wild-camped ALL the time, not problems whatsoever.

So they had some temporary parking restrictions in place in one area ... no different to anywhere else when there are 'special' things going on ... and certainly no worse than turning up to an aire in France to find that it's close 'cause the circus is in town! Communication and notification of the restrictions may not have been ideal - at least you weren't just given an 'on the spot' fine, but instead a 30 mins 'notice to quit', which is a lot more than you could expect here! If it wasn't for the cost of the ferries I'd be having a holiday there every year it is a lovely place and I certainly would NOT let one 'exceptional' report of some hassle put me off going there again! (y)

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I'll spend my pennies elsewhere until I hear different ::bigsmile:

If it wasn't for the cost of the ferries I'd be having a holiday there every year it is a lovely place and I certainly would NOT let one 'exceptional' report of some hassle put me off going there again! (y)
Perfect and that'll teach me to read the dates of threads in future!!! :whew:

Thanks for the wake up call :)

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
To be perfectly honest I doubt the residents of Salthill need the extra revenue that motorhomers would bring anyway. As anyone that has visited will know, its hardly an underprivileged area.

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
And, look at the ferry fares !! Time to nuke Ireland and turn it into a glass factory
Not the Guinness brewery though !!:wink::wink::wink:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back