Jun 24, 2011
Chalford Hill, Stroud, Glos
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Scout 2010
Exp
32Years Caravaning/Motorhomes
Some help please.
2010 Fiat Ducato Maxi 3.0 When i start engine it will not rev up but idles and misfires, if i turn it off and start again everything is normal. The Yellow ECU light is lit all the time had my local garage check the ECU. it reads "P0638 Throttle Control Valve". My local Fiat dealer does not have a clue when i phoned them. And cannot book it in till 13th May. Has anyone had this problem if so what is the solution ? Many Thanks Ken

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
First thing change Fiat dealer.

Are they a Fiat Professional dealer.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
I think from that code it should be strait forward for them.

Mel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Do you have a Iveco dealer or is it the same dealer.

The 3lt engine is Iveco

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
You can phone freefone fiat famper and they will tel you what it is.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Some help please.
2010 Fiat Ducato Maxi 3.0 When i start engine it will not rev up but idles and misfires, if i turn it off and start again everything is normal. The Yellow ECU light is lit all the time had my local garage check the ECU. it reads "P0638 Throttle Control Valve". My local Fiat dealer does not have a clue when i phoned them. And cannot book it in till 13th May. Has anyone had this problem if so what is the solution ? Many Thanks Ken

Does it need a run to clear the catalyser

Daughters vw beetle56 plate
had a yellow light come on took it for a 15 mile thrash light went out

Have you tried the fiat forum
you may get a workshop fella on there give you a reply

Probably the same answers as on here granted:thumb:

Edit http://www.fiatforum.com/
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I would like to think it is a faulty throttle control valve otherwise the diagnostics are a waste of tiime.

try this

Last edited:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
OBD Code P0638refers to
The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) compares the actual Throttle Possition (TP) with the target TP when the engine is running. If the difference is more than the specification, the PCM determines that there is a throttle actuator control circuit range/performance problem.
Symptoms
Possible sumptoms of OBD code P0638
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
Causes
Possible causes of OBD code P0638
- Drive-by-wire control system malfunction - Throttle actuator malfunction - Throttle valve malfunction - PCM malfunction

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
30 second google..... :RollEyes:

Causes

Possible causes of OBD code P0638
- Drive-by-wire control system malfunction - Throttle actuator malfunction - Throttle valve malfunction - PCM malfunction

My money is on the throttle actuator but could be any of the above faults or even some not listed.

as already said....dump your fiat dealer.

if they cant diagnose this fault then they aint worth bothering with......or they can but want to rip you off to the tune of £100 just to put the code reader on.

try in independant/fiat franchised garage

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the throttle position can be recalibrated very easily.

its usually just a slow throttle press from fully up to fully down and back again but you usually need access to the PCM to do it and i dont know how to access the program in the PCM on a fiat..

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't know about modern engines but years ago that would sound like heater plugs gone down

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Yes they are a Fiat Professional Dealer.

There are not that many around Gloucestershire :Angry:
one wonders why they can not pin point problem if they are professional dealer
with access to all the fiat data codes ?

me thinks they may be trying to hide some thing here,..... may be their fully trained mechanic has left their employ and are up a creak with out the proverbial paddle :Sad: so gives you the we don`t know runaround
get in touch with another dealer in next county

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
The problem is a code reader will only give you a clue as to what the fault is. It could be a failed component or a bad connection.
Easy to moan about the main dealer but if I read the OP correct it was not them who diagnosed the fault. If they sold you a new unit and the fault was still there, would you be happy if they would not give a refund on the part.

Andy

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the actual fiat wording for code P0638 is 'throttle valve command' which sounds like an electrical communication fault between the PCM and the throttle valve motor.

could be something as simple as water from the front scuttle panel getting into the multi pin plug on the valve motor.

nothing to lose but time removing the various plugs on the inlet tract and checking for contamination.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
the actual fiat wording for code P0638 is 'throttle valve command' which sounds like an electrical communication fault between the PCM and the throttle valve motor.

could be something as simple as water from the front scuttle panel getting into the multi pin plug on the valve motor.

nothing to lose but time removing the various plugs on the inlet tract and checking for contamination.
i agree:thumb:
had the same problem on my son's golf diesel,it would start but not rev,did a code read and throttle position sensor came up,after 2 hours getting the dam thing out from under the dash it was full of water,dried it out,sprayed some contact cleaner in it and running sweet again:thumb:

OP
OP
kensteve

kensteve

Free Member
Jun 24, 2011
Chalford Hill, Stroud, Glos
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Scout 2010
Exp
32Years Caravaning/Motorhomes
Fiat dealer confirms that Throttle Valve Body needs to be replaced. at a cost of £400 for the body which now make by a different manufacturer , £134 for wiring loom, & £3 for the gasket. plus 2 Hours labour. My Scout is over 3 years old and only done 5814 miles and has been serviced 4 times . But does the fact that the Throttle is made by a different manufacturer and a new loom is required mean the current one was" not fit for the purpose". So therefore should be replaced Free of charge ?.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I would ask for a contribution towards the work from Fiat as this is a known problem to them

Zzebidee

Free Member
Apr 30, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Some help please.

I've had this problem. Fiat changed the throttle valve assembly and all was well. The unit get clogged up with carbon deposits and the moving parts stick and give incorrect readings to the ECU

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back