Throttle only Tricycle for use in France/Spain - Thoughts! (1 Viewer)

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Ginny's electric bike has got to go because her balance issues make it too dangerous for her to ride safely. (I'll have it up for sale on here shortly - it's a Pro Rider E-Wayfarer).

Prices for a new one start at about £1300, Powerbikes in Long Eaton Notts start at about £1600 but they are pedal assist and conform to the new UK regs on any new cycles.

I've just come across this on eBay which looks pretty good value but it's throttle only. In Benidorm last year we saw so many variations of two and three wheeled I'm tempted to go and have a look at this one.

Thoughts please people?

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
It does look good but be prepared to buy a new battery as its not been charged for over a year...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If it's the one below it does have pedal assist as well as throttle only:

http://www.tricyclesales.co.uk/Item/Electric_Trikes/Trilogy_Electric_Tricycle.aspx

• Front Brake: V
  • Back Brake: Drum
  • Saddle Width: 30in
  • Sadle Length: 56in
  • Features:
  • Step over height of 16 inches
  • Tubular steel frame
  • Adjustable handle bar stem
  • Alloy wheels
  • 6 speed Shimano gears
  • Parkng brake
  • Comfortable coil sprung saddle
  • Large shopping basket
  • Advanced & Efficient 36v Brushless Motor,
  • 36v 6ah Lithium Battery, Superior Design Combined Battery and Controller Pack
  • Throttle operation Twist and Go (Pure Power)
  • 3 LED Level Battery Meter, Blue LED "On Switch"
  • 15mph (Varies slightly with Wheel Size)
  • 8-10 Mile Range with no Pedalling, 20+ rabge with pedalling,(continuos test: Flat surface 100KG/14 Stone Rider Weight).
  • Splash Proof Plug In Connections for Throttle/Motor/Charger.
The choice is yours about using it in Spain but I've not heard of a single person yet that's been fined and been able to tell anyone first hand!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I imagine that the Spanish rules are in line with ours as it is new legislation and not retrospective. i.e. illegal to sell new after January 2016 but not illegal to buy or own older models pre 2016

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The choice is yours about using it in Spain but I've not heard of a single person yet that's been fined and been able to tell anyone first hand!

I spent 5 weeks in Benidorm cycling past the cops, all I got were smiles.

Didn't someone post about a trike that was labelled medical so came under mobility scooter laws.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Brand new with a warranty.

If Ginny is registered disabled you may get it VAT exempt for arround the same price as the ebay one.
Expect around £300 for a new battery for the ebay one so even if you pay full price its going to work out better...new and warranty.

http://jorviktricycles.com/product/jorvik-24-aluminium-electric-adults-250w-36v-tricycle-red/

red-elec.jpg

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I would not worry about the battery if lithium ion, it does no harm to leave part or discharged.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you're seriously considering it though why not give the original suppliers a ring and ask them about the spec first.

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
We have a Di Blasi folding trike - it's not the electric version but our experience is it does fold easily and I can (just) lift it into the motorhome for transport. The list price of the electric version is eye watering at £2,150 + VAT but you might find a second hand one if you're lucky.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I want a saddle that big....mines like being given a permenant wedgy :eek:
You got a big bum then PPJ? :D

We changed our saddles for some 'big bum' ones that we got off Ebay, similar to this - they are VERY comfortable:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You got a big bum then PPJ? :D

We changed our saddles for some 'big bum' ones that we got off Ebay, similar to this - they are VERY comfortable:
Unfortunately that wont fit.
Mine has a sandwich type clamp which grips the two metal longitudinal bars under the seat, with a sprung post.

Edit...just had a closer look and it might fit depending on the width of the parallel bars which the pinch clamp is removed.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The clamp on that saddle can be discarded to allow the fixing you describe John.
However there still may not be enough length of rail
$_12.JPG

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Obviously the electric motor is front wheel drive, but as I don't see a diff on the back axle and the sprocket and brake drum seem to share the same solid axle, I wonder what they corner like ?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Obviously the electric motor is front wheel drive, but as I don't see a diff on the back axle and the sprocket and brake drum seem to share the same solid axle, I wonder what they corner like ?
No diff it wont corner, all the weight is on the rear axle so the front wheel will slide.
Could be a single wheel for drive and the other for braking....unless it has some kind of free wheeling hubs.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Would you need an A frame for that ?

I was looking at a towball fitting bracket something like this one:

If it's the one below it does have pedal assist as well as throttle only:

http://www.tricyclesales.co.uk/Item/Electric_Trikes/Trilogy_Electric_Tricycle.aspx

I don't think it is going to be assist as well Minxy Girl, we're going to take a look later so will know better then.

I spent 5 weeks in Benidorm cycling past the cops, all I got were smiles.

Same here Brian whilst we were away last year in Benidorm; I've never seen so many variations of cycle, powered trikes etc. We rode past loads of Police with Ginny on her twist and go and as you say, all smiles.

We were currently looking at two UK Trike suppliers; Powered Cycles in Long Eaton and Jorvik that look very nice...just a bit of a delivery deadline issue with them.

We're also following up the disability issue with her consultant which would get the VAT off the purchase price of a new trike...we're treading cautiously though as she doesn't want to have her driving licence revoked or cause insurance com[any concerns. She has a rare neurological condition called Myotonia.

Thanks for all the replies, we'll see what this trike is like...especially as it's only 5 miles down the road!

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Well the test ride didn't go very well I'm afraid to say :(. The trike is in lovely condition and will be a bargain for somebody but not Ginny I fear. Certainly not something I would recommend anyone to buy without trying one first. I found it really quite difficult to ride after a normal cycle. Even a modest camber had it wanting to steer left and I had to put quite a lot of weight to the right to make it feel anything approaching comfortable. Ginny couldn't cope with it at all.

In fairness it's a smaller tricycle than the one we will be trying in a day or so from Power Bicycles. Have to keep fingers crossed that a slightly larger frame may help...although I being more optimistic than realistic.

Could be back to the drawing board :cry:.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I found it really quite difficult to ride after a normal cycle.

You can't comprehend the real meaning of "difficult" 'till you've tried ambilkate's tandem trike. Imagine trying to drive an F1 car, on full throttle, blindfolded and using your willie to steer it. Well, harder than that.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
You can't comprehend the real meaning of "difficult" 'till you've tried ambilkate's tandem trike. Imagine trying to drive an F1 car, on full throttle, blindfolded and using your willie. Well, harder than that.

Trying to work out what you meant to say there:LOL:

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
You can't comprehend the real meaning of "difficult" 'till you've tried ambilkate's tandem trike. Imagine trying to drive an F1 car, on full throttle, blindfolded and using your willie to steer it. Well, harder than that.
That thing nearly killed me should be banned

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Some of the answers on here are making me smile
Throttle only bikes are OK as long as they are older than Jan 2016 as they are exempt from the new Euro regs

As for Spain being strict only when there's nothing else to do took our bike from Top end of Benicarlo to Pensicola a few times (well Steph has I use the scooter) and rarely saw a policeman/woman as usual mostly saw local bobbies in Benidorm chasing beach vendors

Seen your cycle carrier looks good but is bolted on or actually on the towball

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
For a trike that is stable, easy to steer and comfortable google "trice recumbent"
Ok you are sat very low down but flags are available on pole.
The electric would be in rear wheel.
They are heavier than standard bikes. Downhill they are very fast and cornering is a doddle. Beware if you get one you will be talking to all and sundry who have not seen one!

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Ever looked at a Batribike trike with a tilting frame? You control it with a lever on the handlebars so the frame is rigid when you get on and off, but tilts when you are on the move so there is no pulling to one side or balance issues cornering. Mrs theBass has one and after she got used to it absolutely loves it to bits. That was after she shot off too quickly the very first time she used it, hit a road sign, bent it and fell off. All of this within the first 30 yards before she had even got off the grass verge on to the road.......

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back