Three Summer Days on Arran

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by Milo, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Milo

Milo Read Only Funster

2. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Hi Milo

Nice set of pictures:thumb:best with the captions

Looks like you had a great time, with some wonderful pictures to remember it by.

Dave

3. Milo

Milo Read Only Funster

Thanx, Dave. You can bet I've a return trip in mind.

4. duetto owner

duetto owner Read Only Funster

viewed the pics the place looked good, a lot of photos for three days.

5. slickmouse

slickmouse Read Only Funster

143 Is the best but please nae more standin' stanes

6. Milo

Milo Read Only Funster

But 143 has a great chunk of lens fluff above the bicycle, so now I don't know what to think other than "Each to his own", of course. Unless they're wrong. I did check with the photo police and they did say I could take as many as I liked, and publish them. And they added that some people will be more interested than others, but not to worry 'cause it's juss fralarf, innit. An' I said, That's cool.

7. algill

algill Funster

Thanks for the great photos. Went to Arran a couple of years ago. Now I remember I want to go back again.

201 says it all for me. :thumb:

Gill

8. Milo

Milo Read Only Funster

Thank you. I'm afraid I've been deleting just a few so that has probably messed up the numbering. But what a wonderful island, eh!

9. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi

It is indeed a beautiful island, I could see it from my bedroom window when I lived in West Kilbride .. and spent many happy days cycling and camping there.. happy days :Smile:

To the south you have the small island of Ailsa Craig, (shown in one of your pictures) .. never visited it but would love to one day .. also known as Paddy's Milestone..

Some info from Wiki

Ailsa Craig was a haven for Roman Catholics during the Scottish Reformation. In 1597 the Catholic supporter, Hugh Barclay of Ladyland, took possession of Ailsa Craig, which he was intent on using as a provisioning and stopping off point for a Spanish invasion which would re-establish the Catholic faith in Scotland. He was discovered by the Protestant minister Andrew Knox and upon being discovered he either tried to escape or deliberately drowned himself in the sea off Ailsa Craig.[6]

In 1831, the twelfth earl of Cassillis became first Marquess of Ailsa, taking the title from the Craig, which was his property.

From the mid-19th to mid-20th centuries, the island was quarried for its rare type of micro-granite with riebeckite (known as "Ailsite") which was used to make curling stones. The floor of the Chapel of the Thistle in St Giles Cathedral, Edinburgh is also made of this rock.

Ailsa Craig is now uninhabited, the lighthouse having been automated in 1990[7] and the quarry long since disused. The island is now a bird sanctuary. Huge numbers of gannets nest here and following a pioneering technique to eradicate the island's imported population of rats a growing number of puffins are choosing to return to the Craig from nearby Glunimore and Sheep Islands.

Thanks for the memories.. :Smile:

Jim

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009