Three Network Feel at Home (1 Viewer)

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
You don't say how much more than 2 months you are going to be away. If it is a significant period than maybe stopping your contract may be an avenue to pursue .
We will maybe away for 4/5 months.

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
are we lucky then? as were still using EuropaSim, top it up when we need too, used it Spain, France, Sicily, Italy, Uk........

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Bit of research reveals orange has a 4G/3G offer for MIFI devices that permit a 20GB allowance.... €54.99 a month PAYG.
Not the cheapest, but at least a workable solution.

image.jpg

OP
OP
Flamenca

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
@Jonkil any chance of the Orange link as I am wondering what the monthly cost is for 2GB.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We've got a Mobidata data sim costs £7.95 per month it was 1 gb+ 1gb free and if over 15p per kg fixed rate thereafter.
Works for us use it in ipad

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
I did not manage to use my 3 contract phone SIM in France. It rarely found a Network even though the mifi was fine. :crying1:

We found the same thing to start off with when we were away this last time at the start of the month.

First couple of days pretty much zero network coverage on the phone. When we did it was with 'Free' and not particularly good. Then we turned off the automatic network selection and did a manual search for networks and where previously we had no coverage we were able to hook onto 'Orange' with a strong signal.

Going back to automatic network selection the phone stayed on 'Orange' for a while but eventually went back to zero network coverage and later intermittently went onto 'Free'. We came to the conclusion that while 'Free' and 'Orange' are both Euro partners for Three their preferred one is 'Free' which unfortunately has poor coverage. We both have iPhones, so it may also be an iPhone issue, not necessarily a Three network selection issue.

Eventually we just left our phones on manual selection with 'Orange' and had coverage pretty much all the time whereas for the previous few days we rarely had any network coverage.

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Jonkil

My PAYG UK 3 feel at home sim worked well in the MIFI in September while in France but after about 2 weeks we got the "no tethering" message on iPads etc..... so for us it won't be an option again.

I assume you were using a phone PAYG sim in the mifi to enable you to run more than one tablet or laptop.. If you were using a data only sim then this message would not make sense as thats what a Mifi is designed for

Doug.

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Hi Jonkil

I assume you were using a phone PAYG sim in the mifi to enable you to run more than one tablet or laptop.. If you were using a data only sim then this message would not make sense as thats what a Mifi is designed for

Doug.
Hi Doug,
Yes, data sim as we were sold in the 3 shop.
Shan't be trusting it again as I need connection approx 2 hrs daily.

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
I am lost on the tec side!!!
I bought a mobile Wi Fi from 3,on a monthly bases,can cancel with thirty days notice, I know I have enough on there to Skype and do FaceTime.
I explained I would be out for sometime plus needed to be able to communicate by I Pad,as phones are no good to me!!! . Only use phone as back up mainly text.
No problems so far,found the device excellent.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I guess the idea of having more than one SIM card is a good way forward, but if they really started to crack down they could probably sink this one too. They certainly know what sort of device you are using - phone or mifi for example, and it wouldn't surprise me they can identify if the same device is being used.

I'm sure you are quite correct DBK but we have two phones, hers and mine. Alongside this 'period of use' is also a maximum amount of data usage maybe it's more likely that using MIFI is going to eat into that quicker than the occasional phone use? Like I said earlier, we were well into our fourth month on my PAYG, I'd topped it up and re-activated the Add On each month and the only message I had from '3' was to remind me that my Add On was about to expire and to re-activate it!

Some of the comments concerning coverage surprise me also. I found it better in France and Spain than I do at home!

Dave

Reactions: DBK

rich g

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick
Exp
since 2013
I have a PAYG mobile broadband 3 sim in my MIFI that worked well in Dover but didn't work at all in France or Italy,I was disappointed as that is what was raccommended by the 3 shop.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I have a PAYG mobile broadband 3 sim in my MIFI that worked well in Dover but didn't work at all in France or Italy,I was disappointed as that is what was raccommended by the 3 shop.
You need to make sure data roaming is turned on, in your MIFI menu

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Thank you but i don't know how to access the menu
Ok - if it's a Huwei you can download their app to your phone
Next - turn on WIfi on your phone and select your MIFI
Once you're connected to your MIFI then you can launch the app - connect to the MIFI and access all the features
Hope this helps

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi Doug,
Yes, data sim as we were sold in the 3 shop.
Shan't be trusting it again as I need connection approx 2 hrs daily.
I think you have the wrong sim card. Mine has worked fine in a mifi in France and Spain. I suggest buying online and get the mobile data sim, not a phone one with a data allowance, which I suspect is what you have. It might be worth putting it in a phone and see if it works for voice. My data only sim won't.

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
I think you have the wrong sim card. Mine has worked fine in a mifi in France and Spain. I suggest buying online and get the mobile data sim, not a phone one with a data allowance, which I suspect is what you have. It might be worth putting it in a phone and see if it works for voice. My data only sim won't.
You may be right mate. It does indeed work for voice in a phone.

Reactions: DBK
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Three help line is very good. they will stick with you till your problem is sorted and explain everything

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Reviving thread:

I got the same message, stating that if I use my FAH for 2 complete months in a 12 month period, my international roaming will be turned off.

The message goes on to say "As you have already roamed exclusively in our FAH destinations for at least 1 month in the last 12, we will switch off roaming if you roam exclusively in a FAH destination for a further month".

We have used the sim for approx 7 weeks in France & Spain over the last 12 months but never for a complete month. The longest has been for 3 weeks at a time.

We don't use the 3 sim in the UK much as the signal isn't great where we live but I normally make at least one call every 6 weeks or so to keep it active (but may not have done so recently).

Any ideas why I would get a message about roaming exclusively in FAH destinations for a complete month when we haven't?

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Reviving thread:

I got the same message, stating that if I use my FAH for 2 complete months in a 12 month period, my international roaming will be turned off.

The message goes on to say "As you have already roamed exclusively in our FAH destinations for at least 1 month in the last 12, we will switch off roaming if you roam exclusively in a FAH destination for a further month".

We have used the sim for approx 7 weeks in France & Spain over the last 12 months but never for a complete month. The longest has been for 3 weeks at a time.

We don't use the 3 sim in the UK much as the signal isn't great where we live but I normally make at least one call every 6 weeks or so to keep it active (but may not have done so recently).

Any ideas why I would get a message about roaming exclusively in FAH destinations for a complete month when we haven't?
How about calling their customer service team in the UK and asking ?

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I will. Just wondered whether others had had the same as it hadn't been mentioned recently.
We're using FAH as much as we are using the UK service, for maybe 9 months of the year, but for only 3 weeks at a time.
Would be interesting to hear what they say to you

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Ours has just stopped working abroad
We have used it for three weeks on the go now and 7 in April/May and 5 in March/April . We are on a 20gig Mifi for £20 a month and we have 7 gig remaining .
It says 'you have been redirected to three.co.uk too many times'
we have never got texts or emails from them.
Does anyone have any idea?
This is our only data card so apart from local wifi it's all we have so this is heavy news.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Just had great service in France/UK and now Spain...remains my favorite server.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I've read it as 2 months in a 12 month period but not necessarily at the same time. We had the message when we were on holiday this time even though we made sure to use it in the month we were at home in between.

Denise

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back