Three Network Feel at Home

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Flamenca, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Flamenca

Flamenca Funster Life Member

It seems that 3 are tightening the net on Feel at Home use. I have a 3 data SIM in my mifi and have received the following text message:

"If you use it for 2 complete months in a rolling 12 month period we will turn off your international roaming services. As you have already roamed exclusively in our FAH for at least 1 month in the last 12 we will switch off roaming if you roam exclusively in a FAH destination for a further month. See http://three.co.uk/FAH use"

The word "exclusively" seems to be key. Maybe some of use need to post the SIM back to a friend in the UK every few weeks for them to use for a day or two and return the SIM to avoid being cut off? :frowny:

Has anyone else received this text from 3 or been cut off whilst abroad?

• Like Like x 2
  2. mickyc

mickyc Read Only Funster

Got back last week from a 3 month trip in FAH destinations.

I'm on PAYG on a 3 mifi and used up my included data and topped up twice in the last month (online)

I didn't receive any messages from 3 but will check again tomorrow (the mifi has been switched off in the van since we got back)

I will probably get a cpl of extra payg data sims for our next trip in Jan, just in case.

• Like Like x 2
  3. jumar

jumar Funster

I have 4 Three Data Sims, I switch them around, only one of these is actually registered to me, just finished a four month trip using Three, or was it a 3 month trip using Four? Anyway the bottom line must be, Its a fantastic system that I would have expected to carry some conditions at sometime, still way ahead of the rest, currently.
    In my opinion.

• Like Like x 8
  4. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

I have been using in phone PAYG .mifi data sim.tablet data sim no problems the usual roaming charge msg when the go on but apart from phone ,never on constantly . out had the msg you described ...yet but cheers for the info(y)

5. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

I used my PAYG sim on my phone for three months earlier this year with no problems or messages, we have just got a second sim registered in Ginny's name so I can top it up whilst we're away and have a spare. Quite agree with @jumar that '3' are way ahead of the competition.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Something was mentioned yesterday in another thread re Three roaming changes......

Something in the wind for sure...maybe the way round is to have two SIM..

• Like Like x 1
  7. Flamenca

Yes, probably having more than one SIM is the solution. I have never topped up a PAYG data SIM but always purchased new ones. It is the first time I have received the text message and it is a 12 month 12GB SIM I purchased just 2 to 3 months ago. I used 5GB in the first month (in France). Probably have to re-consider my strategy and revert to 1 and 3 month SIM's.

I agree with @jumar that 3 is still the best deal for roaming in France and Spain.

8. Judge Mental

and Italy/Switzerland :)

we are both on 3 contract phone deals and never has a problem but most we go away for is a 4 - 6 weeks

9. Flamenca

I did not manage to use my 3 contract phone SIM in France. It rarely found a Network even though the mifi was fine. :crying1:

10. clanjones

clanjones Funster

I have been investigating this as well. The current 3 mobile T&Cs state the 2 month rule. That put us off 3 for the time being but I like the idea of 2 SIMSs! From a phoning perspective Carphone Warehouse have set up the iD network bizarrely using the 3 network and have an option for free phone roaming in Europe and has better country coverage - it includes Germany and there are no time restrictions - but remember this is only for phoning the UK. Inter Europe call are not included.

The problem at the moment with iD is that their data plan doesn't include European roaming but I have been told that there are changes in the pipeline so am holding off just now but for UK monthly SIM only deals they are very competitive and we will be moving to them in the next week or so.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Judge Mental

with 3 you only get free calls home when roaming as well? not from country to country.. so if your in France and call a campsite in Spain you will be charged..

12. Flamenca

I have a 3 SIM only contract which is low cost but let me down this year whilst abroad. I think it was more a problem with my 'phone so will look for a new Android dual SIM.

13. clanjones

clanjones Funster

Hi Flamenca,

My phone investigations covered phones as well! These are not the very expensive ones (too tight for that) and narrowed it down to the Samsung J5 and Motorola 3rd Gen both which you can get as dual SIM.

http://www.expeditelectronics.com/s...nlocked.html?gclid=CIPG_Ium08gCFQVuGwodIPgNvA

We went with the Moto as it is waterproof, well rainproof and has Gorilla glass as we cycle a lot. Both have a 13 meg camera which we wanted. If you go for the Moto you would be well advised to go for the 16Gig option. Be careful on buying online as the Moto does come I think with single and dual SIM. I can't check ours for you but will when I get home from work I bought it off Amazon

• Like Like x 1
  14. Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad Funster Life Member

I'm not surprised they're tightening the "loophole", as presumably extended overseas data use for motorhomers wasn't what they envisioned - more convenience for customers on a package holiday for a fortnight or business folk on a trip for a couple of nights.

15. Judge Mental

Probably right.....but if you buy an amount of data from them aren't you allowed to use it...

• Like Like x 1
  16. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

We have a yearly Data Only contract with the 3 network, the Sim card is in our MiFi. The data allowance is 10 gig a month. We were told that Feel At Home is included in the contract. It has worked really well for us in the U.K.
    Are we likely to encounter any problems using it in Spain.
    Brisey.

17. clanjones

clanjones Funster

It would seem that if you were close to the 2 months the answer, in the shop anyway, was after 2 months no. I am not clear if you are prevented or then get charged standard European data rates. We back peddled very quickly when this restriction was highlighted to us as we are planning to be away for longer than 2 months.

18. Judge Mental

10 gig is a lot of data..do you ever use it... if yes I guess you must be streaming stuff? this 2 month thing has only come up in last few days. if your away longer maybe a trip to indoor market and another Sim for a month then revert to 3 may work...dont know to be honest

often find if you call companies (particularly UK government departments:() you get different answers from front of house muppet's:)

19. clanjones

clanjones Funster

• Like Like x 1
  20. clanjones

clanjones Funster

DOH - and go to the usage section!