Three Data Sim Still Working

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by stevec, Jun 9, 2015.

1. stevec

stevec Funster

Last year we bought a couple of 1GB data SIMs to use in a Three Mifi unit for our trip to France. Not used it since then and just checked it out ready for our trip to France in a couple of weeks and find that I can still connect to the internet through it using the original SIM (only 100MB left though). Seems to still work after 9 months and not the 1 month it was supposed to. Anyone else find this?

2. Dorwyn

Dorwyn Funster

Lucky you! Not I, said the ...

3. Flamenca

Flamenca Funster Life Member

I agree, very lucky. However, the cost of top-up might be more than a new SIM pre-loaded with 1GB data allowance.

4. stevec

stevec Funster

The wife will be getting a 3GB SIM this lunchtime from Argos. Seems to be the most cost effective at £20. Last year the 1 GB SIMs were £10 (but Argos sold them off for a fiver each). Cheapest 1GB SIM I could find is about £7 on ebay.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Flamenca

I intended to buy a 3GB 3 month SIM but am now toying with the idea of buying the 12GB 12 month SIM for about £70. It all depends on frequency and duration of trips to France and Spain :confused:

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. stevec

stevec Funster

I wish I went so often that I needed to consider that option! Next year will be different. Only thirteen months to retirement!!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Flamenca

You are probably aware that you need to activate the new SIM before you leave UK. You can then pop the old SIM back in the MiFi to exhaust that data before starting on the new SIM. I usually pop the new SIM into my MiFi and boot it up at the ferry terminal to ensure I get the maximum number of days abroad :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

Just loaded a new 3 sim into my router (not activated prior to leaving UK) works just fine. Connected seamlessly.

9. Rob Paula and Pablo

Rob Paula and Pablo

i have a mifi and we are of for six weeks to france and spain. So do i have this you can buy your sim here and us the data in france and spain. is it any network or do i need a specific one.

10. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

It will connect to a local network partnered with Three automatically. You don't need to do anything. There will be places it won't work, but they are few and far apart based on my recent experience and if you go to popular places you should be fine.

However, it can be slow but should be adequate for normal browsing. I wanted to upload a 90mb video today but the Three card said it wanted two hours to do it despite allegedly having a 3g signal. I put a Europasim in the mifi, which is vodaphone, and it uploaded in less than 5 minutes. But the Three sim is still a great deal. Just make sure it all works before leaving the UK, roaming is on and if you have payg your card is registered with them.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Rob Paula and Pablo

Rob Paula and Pablo

12. Rob Paula and Pablo

Rob Paula and Pablo

found it europa sim got it lol! (y)

13. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Sorry, sounds like an EU affliction doesn't it? Unfortunately, no longer available, but a very useful back up if you have one. I can't remember the cost but it gives 500mb per day for something like a pound or two. Useful for say updating apps or some other data hungry operation if no WiFi available.

14. Rob Paula and Pablo

Rob Paula and Pablo

ould EE work. I have found a data sim EE 6gb 3 months for £15.

15. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Difficult to say without knowing the package. There will probably be a daily roaming fee.

16. Rob Paula and Pablo

Rob Paula and Pablo

So f i went for the 3 network would this also need a roaming fee.

17. Flamenca

That is interesting. I will take a non-activated second SIM with me next time to use when re-entering France from Spain. I still tend to use a Vodafone.ES SIM in Spain as I find it gives me better comms speed and is about the same cost at 10 Euros for a month with 1GB allowance.

18. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

you lot seem vary low data users, we do still use ours for work emails while abroad and Bev goes into the first phone shop she finds, we buy a mini sim for her ipad, EE 30 euros 8Gb 30 days use it or lose it, we can use that as a hot spot as well for laptops, but we will use most of the 8Gb in three weeks away

we also have a mifi bought last September at Lincoln to take to France / Spain last year, can't remember what sim we put in that but it still worked this May when we went back, that was EE as well

as part of a multi week trip I don't mind paying £25 to have virtually unlimited access, in conjunction with site wifi via our iBoost

• Like Like x 1
  19. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Not if you are in a "feel at home" country. You just pay the same charges as you would as if you were in the UK. That's the benefit of it.

20. Cyclewalkbob

Cyclewalkbob Funster

I rang 3 today about loading 3g of data for a month, on a pay as you go sim for £15 in my 3 Mifi.

The guy told me if I get a rolling contract for £15 a month I get 10g of data.

He says as soon as I get it I give 30 days notice - it just costs me £15 and three times the data!

I am off to the 3 shop tomorrow to check!