Three cables on Negative Terminal? (1 Viewer)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Looking for advice. I purchased from new a 2011 Autotrail (Excel670B). The leisure battery has 3 cables going to it's negative terminal. One brown and two black, one of these slightly thicker than the other.
Would I be right in thinking the thickest black is the ground cable to the vehicle chassis, the other black being the link to the second leisure battery to wire them in parallel and the brown one from other services
(Is it possible to confirm this with a multi meter and if so how !)
(As a matter of interest I'm looking to transfer all negative connections less the ground on this battery to a 'shunt' as I will be installing a battery monitor)
Thanks in advance.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Philip I think that the shunt will need to be straight off the -ve terminal before it goes anywhere else.

If the other battery only has one cable from the -ve post you should be able to follow it or get Mena to give it a "tug" it should go straight to the other battery BUT it is never safe to assume these things.

Martin

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
No expert but surely leisure battery won't be earthed to chassis will it ?
Isn't that the job of the cab battery ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
My Own management panel could be installed in either positive or negative side.. but think as Martin has said one side of shunt needs to come directly off the battery negative...all the other connections to the negative then taken off the other side of the shunt... that ensures all circuits are monitored by the pmp..
Andy

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I would be pretty sure the leisure side is grounded to the chassis, if not directly it would it its way via shared charge sources, actually I am sure because I wired a battery top up thing for a friend it went from the leisure batter to the starter battery +ve wire only so must share the common ground -ve.

Martin

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
No expert but surely leisure battery won't be earthed to chassis will it ?
Isn't that the job of the cab battery ?
As Martin has already said.. The -ve side of the leisure battery has to go to a common earth point somewhere.. Might not be where folk would expect it to be but there has to be a connection somewhere !

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
As Martin has already said.. The -ve side of the leisure battery has to go to a common earth point somewhere.. Might not be where folk would expect it to be but there has to be a connection somewhere !
Thanks, pretty much confirms what I suspected. Just waiting for Monitor to arrive before I fit it and destroy the wiring loom, monitor and both sets of leisure batteries. I'll post again when completed.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Thanks, pretty much confirms what I suspected. Just waiting for Monitor to arrive before I fit it and destroy the wiring loom, monitor and both sets of leisure batteries. I'll post again when completed.
Bet it all goes swimmingly and you have no probs at all (y)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I knew I shouldn't comment on things I don't understand enough about :ROFLMAO:
I'll get back to what I should be doing, working
clear.png

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
Hi @PhilandMena.

I have just looked at the battery on my Excel 600B and I have two wires going to the Hab Battery negative. One is white/orange, and the other is brown/blue. Looking at the wiring diagram in the manual, it only shows a white/orange, going to Hab negative, with a feed to positive from the EM50.

I fitted a second hab battery, but although I was told by Sargent that there should be a plug on the loom to allow a direct connection, I could not find it, and so just wired it in parallel with the first.

This might be of interest to you, as it clears up what the cable with three fuses on the Positive are for!

Link Removed

John

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Hi @PhilandMena.

I have just looked at the battery on my Excel 600B and I have two wires going to the Hab Battery negative. One is white/orange, and the other is brown/blue. Looking at the wiring diagram in the manual, it only shows a white/orange, going to Hab negative, with a feed to positive from the EM50.

I fitted a second hab battery, but although I was told by Sargent that there should be a plug on the loom to allow a direct connection, I could not find it, and so just wired it in parallel with the first.

This might be of interest to you, as it clears up what the cable with three fuses on the Positive are for!

Link Removed

John
Cheers John, very helpful. I didn't realise the Excels were being produced in 2008. I thought it was 2010 & 2011. I guess my 2011 limited edition (well that's what I call it) is not so limited.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Monitor arrived in post yesterday and after an hour faffing about, extending cables and fixing shunt to wall, I put everything together as per the instructions and,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back