Thoughts on a Renault Master PVC (1 Viewer)

Jellyterror

Free Member
Mar 20, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy
Exp
Hi there
Hope somebody can help. I'm new here and looking to join the ranks of the campervanners. I've hired many over the years but now it's time to buy one. Which is a bit scary!
I was wondering if anybody would give me some thoughts about this van:

Broken Link Removed

I hope that link works, but if not its a renault master in Preston on Autotrader for £15000. Thinking about going to view it this weekend.
I'm after feedback on the van itself, the conversion and the price. any advice much appreciated!

Many thanks in anticipation.

Oct 24, 2013
Nantwich. Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
6yrs ish!
Hi & welcome to the site. As a fairly new newbie, would not like to give advice. But having said that, looked on your link, it looks very smart outside & inside. Feel sure that a lot of the experienced motorhomers on the site can advise you on your query.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
all looks good other than the high mileage at 118 thousand miles. not bad for a 9 year old commercial van but due to have a few mechanical issues due to wear. must have a full and comprehensive service history

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Also note that it is very much geared to be used on site with electric hook up, both water heating and interior heating are 240v mains only, a van at that price I would be expecting a better set up than that,

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
looks like a reasonable conversion but milage is high for a motorhome obviously it had a former life
think the conversion has been done on a budget for a proper go anywhere camper youll need some gas heating and gas hot water doesn't say what the fridge runs on needs to be a three way really or if its a compressor you'll need extra batteries and solar panels
i also didn't like the raw ply edges inside the cupboard doors

Upvote 0

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
My two pennorth.....

First impressions were good..... smartly done and looked fresh and new. On closer inspection however, saw the gas warning sticker on the back door but no other sign of where the gas might be.

I also thought that the layout looked somewhat compromised. Seems to have the two fixed front seats and the U-shaped lounge but no way to connect the two areas, making the cab seats useless when parked up. It mentions a table in the text but the space in the U-shaped area seems a bit slim to accommodate a table freestanding there. The cab looked to be extremely clean for a former commercial vehicle that's done 118,000 miles.

I'd want to see it in the flesh so to speak.... good first impression though and worth a further look.

Simon

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Agree with previous posts.. re price and lack of gas powered water and space heating..

I would also add that it has

No Shower
No cassette toilet.. Only a porta pottie
The toilet isn't a wet room, so that would need doing to fit a shower.
Rear binds are domestic roller blinds.. will allow light in and swing about when driving

It mentions a battery charger .. but is it a proper motorhome unit.. or just a cheap car charger.. ?

Not knocking home conversions, many are excellent, but the resale value is never as much as the cost of building .. and for that money I'd want a 'branded' van. that holds it's value.

I don't like the rear u shaped lounge layout, however that is subjective..

IMO.. You can do an awful lot better for £15k

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi and welcome :thumb: let me say from the beginning that someone has made a very nice job of the woodwork /cabinets in the van :thumb: The rest leaves a little consideration so I am listing my observations and personal dislikes :Smile:
screws showing in roof panels
not keen on carpet/veltrim on the walls -some ok but not lots :winky:
raw edge on water cupboard ? They are doing that on somenew vans now :Smile:
ply bed bases, prefer slats
blinds next to useless -they will let lots of daylight down the sides
no shower? Tap to loo sink .? Loo?
concerned where gas is ??
NO option for gas water or heating so warm weather /electric hook up sites only :Eeek::Eeek: ok converter saved 1k but that wouldbe a deal breaker or 2k off price:thumb:
No same covers in cab again cost saving
118k miles no problemprovided running gear is all good :thumb: lots of these around with 200k on clock :Smile:
I agree with all what has been said by the other funsters :thumb:all good advice:winky:
terry

Last edited:
Upvote 0

UK Pete

Free Member
Jan 16, 2014
kent
Funster No
MH
Renault van conversion
Exp
on/off since 1991in campervanss
The Renault Master is a fantastic van, good mpg, fast, easy to get spares, the conversion on the ebay one your link went to , at a glance seems very tidy, however make yourself a list of what you require, and look out for the perfect van that suits you, keep looking for a couple of months as there are many up for sale, and you might get a better milage and spec for £15000, but if that one suits you and it has a service history, and needs no work done then it might be worth an offer but i would say more like 12- £13000
pete

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jellyterror

Free Member
Mar 20, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy
Exp
That's great, thanks to you all for taking the time to check the van out and post your thoughts. Much appreciated! On reflection, I may not be heading over to view it this weekend.
Meanwhile, any recommendations on anything better for a similar price would be great.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back