Thought s on jacking van up

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by shunter, Jan 5, 2014.

1. shunter

shunter Funster

Hi I am just waiting to go into hospital for a heart opp so I was wondering whether to jack the motor home up on block as I will not be able to use it for a while at least 3 or 4 months what are your thoughts on this idea.
    thanks
    Nev

2. Popeye

Popeye Funster

It would give them more room to slide under to nick your 'CAT'.

..........Don't really see the point, surely a neighbour could change it's position every so often, if you are concerned about UV degradation on the tyres.

Best of luck with the OP
    :thumb:

3. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I visited the Swedish Army once to see how they put vehicles into long term storage. The Swedes have quite a small army but a lot of reservists whose kit is in controlled humidity storage. Some of the vehicles sit in these stores (many hidden in the forests) for years without ever moving. We asked them if the tyres got flat spots and was this a problem. The answer was "Yes, they get flat spots but after a short distance driving down the road the tyres become round again"!

I wouldn't worry about the tyres assuming they are correctly inflated but I don't see why you wouldn't be able to move the vehicle a few yards once you have recovered from your op in a few weeks. The quacks will want you on your feet quickly. No lying around in bed for months these days.

And all the best for the op and a speedy recovery.

4. rolandrat

rolandrat Funster

Could you ask a friend or relative to take it for a spin occasionally or maybe a motorhome club member. It's a bit drastic having to put it up on blocks.

5. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

i understand the concern, but many thousands of vehicles including motorhomes get parked for the winter months. obviously if your worried get somebody to move the van occasionally. otherwise i wouldnt bother putting it on blocks

good luck with the op

6. Tkly

Tkly Funster

My van has been immobile since sept and sat on the drive due to mech probs and my health probs. I have just got her moving on friday and there seems to be no probs with the tyres. She will be immobile again soon as I also have another heart op soon, but depending on the severity of the op you may not drive for 1 week up to 6 weeks after the op as I have found out over the last 5 years.

7. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

There are advantages to putting your van on blocks/axle stands, not least of which is it makes it harder to steal but I have to wonder at the thought of jacking a (presumably 3.5 tonne) motorhome up onto blocks when you're waiting for a heart op? My advice, for what its worth, would be if its on level ground and you have someone else who can do the job for you then go for it, if not then don't bother, just make sure it is as secure as you can reasonably make it.

D.

8. g8ysn

g8ysn Funster

g8ysn

if you r concerned about your tyres put them on tyre-saver,s a lot of vintage, are stored this way ,have used them before but dont bother now easier to move van now and then

9. Allanm

Allanm Funster

I'm in Whitstable if you need any help with the van?
    Allan

• Like Like x 1