Those far "superior" continental vans. (1 Viewer)

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I am now on my 4th van in 10 + years and have to say I will never believe the quality comments I read ever again.

Van 1 ) 2003 Ci Carioca 5. 20k paid, 25k miles covered, slight bit of damp in locker, kids smashed it around slamming cupboards etc. Value for money 10/10

Van 2) 2005 Adria 670 sk paid 23k smashed around all over the place, warm as toast in winter with a few minor changes, drove like a dream. lots of fun had lots of travels done 29k miles slight bit of damp in garage locker easily repaired. . Value 9/10

van 3) 2007 Bessecar e765 p paid 37k - superb inside with fantastic comfort space and facilities including cooker, Microwave, fridge freezer, drove like a dream covered over 30k miles. carried out a number of modifications to take it Alpine skiing but was always OK in British winters. looked the part and was always commented on how nice it looked. Downside was front wheel drive and starting to need a little damp work but I mean a little. 9/10

Van 4) 2009 Rapido 999 A class on Mercedes chassis with Auto Gearbox. 47K paid. Bathroom door fell off when replaced doesn't shut true, bed collapsed, sitting with a pan under the roof this weekend due to a seal leak, doors both leak.
Shame, a well built van with masses of quality and nothing that I can't fix up but in terms of value for money?
I think it's the cheap CI but really preferred the much inferior (according to some) British van.

Many will say I've been unlucky, some will say lucky. I know I am lucky to be able to afford a motorhome and have good friends to help and me to be able to fix it myself.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Our first coach built was a 1978 CI Motorhome built on a Ford Transit base. Bought it around 1989 with more than 80k miles on the clock. We kept it for 2 years and clocked up over 15k miles, loaded to the hilt and probably massively overweight most of the time.
Dry as a bone inside and never let us down. All original interior in exceptional condition, heating was rubbish though, we didn't stay long in the Alps........

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
No but I can give a list of German van owners I know that mane mine look like Bentley

My point is they are all crap ..advice is spend little to get vfm

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
I was talking to a bloke in France with a new Hymer he hated it so many problems including the window falling out which he had to tie

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
popcorn_jon_stewart.gif

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
First van was an old Frankia, riddled with damp but fixed it up & enjoyed it. Then We had a CI Riviera garage, great van. Only damp was caused by dealer (badly) fitting a reversing camera.
Changed to our Adria Coral for a bigger fridge & roomier washroom, love it.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
@haganap

Paul, your opening post eloquently demonstrates the truism that the more we pay for a motorhome (or any other big ticket item) the higher our expectations are.. as you pointed out, it is also true that the VFM diminishes as the price increases.. The buyer who pays £5k for an old van has far fewer expectations.. than the one who pays £50k

and provided it keeps you warm and dry and gets you there ..the £50k van does little more than the £5k van..

Paying a high premium is no guarantee of quality.. it should be, but it's not always the case..

When I got my pension lump sum I could have bought an almost new Hymer.. but felt it was better VFM to buy an older one at £19k... and have money left to use for other purposes.... A new Hymer wouldn't have been any better than the one I have.. and it wouldn't have made any difference to how we enjoy our trips..

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
The very reason we sold a year old then 2008 and reverted back to a solid built German 2002. Newer the van poorer the quality.
Never mind matey they're all minor problems you can fix and I know you'll enjoy the van for sure.
:)(y)

LAM

Apr 23, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 Welcome
Exp
Began with the purchase of our first, ever MH in 2014
Currently mulling over the decision to either return van to the dealer for a refund (not sure how much, yet) or exchange for another. It would appear the salesman forgot to mention the bad damp situation. This has now been repaired. You could argue that as this has been fixed it would make more sense to keep it but it has hit our confidence in the vehicle. Still a good excuse to start looking at other vans :whistle2:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
But none of them were a quality German van.:LOL:

Quite a few folk on here lately with problem with Hymers, including leaks..
My British Bessacarr E745 doesn't leak, stuff works as it should, has good heating, is comfortable and drives well.
It's 2000 (W) reg, not thinking of changing it, certainly not for a leaky Hymer or Rapido (French built Hymer, isnt it?)

Nov 23, 2015
Burwash, Horsham & The Dordogne
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2016
Interesting to read your comments OP.

Having driven hundreds of thousands of miles in Transits, Sprinters, Crafter (nee’ LT's) old shapes versus the new shapes, I can only concur that the old engines and older type vehicles last longer and seem better built, both from an engine perspective and running gear. However, with all the technology that’s “needed" nowadays, it’s a little unfair to compare the old vs the new.. It’s a bit like an Apple, and a genetically modified Apple. Whereas before extra’s were, an extra. Today we expect those extra’s as standard and more.. Computers, ECU’s and electronic wizardry have replaced the Haynes manual. This is just the way it progresses I’m afraid....

Great points tho by ScotJim...

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
Our first van was an 89 toyota hulux with a coach built hymer body had 18" wing mirrors to see past the body alas the bulkhead on the toyota rotted out after about 3 years so e-bayed it bought by a dealer for more than we paid for it and he was very happy with it

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Currently mulling over the decision to either return van to the dealer for a refund (not sure how much, yet) or exchange for another. It would appear the salesman forgot to mention the bad damp situation. This has now been repaired. You could argue that as this has been fixed it would make more sense to keep it but it has hit our confidence in the vehicle. Still a good excuse to start looking at other vans :whistle2:
If the MH has been repaired it's unlikely that you'd get a refund
Edit: did you pay for the repair yourself?

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Interesting to read your comments OP.

Having driven hundreds of thousands of miles in Transits, Sprinters, Crafter (nee’ LT's) old shapes versus the new shapes, I can only concur that the old engines and older type vehicles last longer and seem better built, both from an engine perspective and running gear. However, with all the technology that’s “needed" nowadays, it’s a little unfair to compare the old vs the new.. It’s a bit like an Apple, and a genetically modified Apple. Whereas before extra’s were, an extra. Today we expect those extra’s as standard and more.. Computers, ECU’s and electronic wizardry have replaced the Haynes manual. This is just the way it progresses I’m afraid....

Great points tho by ScotJim...

interestingly for many years on this forum when I was looking at/for motorhomes, the Fiat V much better mercedes/ford insert fictitious make here. That would be another completely different argument but the amount of old(er) people to tell me to stay away from Fiat's was incredible. Yet, all the above other than the current model were Fiat's and I can honestly say NEVER once let me down other than 1 minor ocassion due to my phone stopping the imobiliser working.

Of course, @ScotJim and @Forestboy are correct. VFM is irrespective of what you buy but what you spend. My van will be fixed up, it will be done by me (and one of my workers ;) @drago35uk @mitzimad ) to a standard that will end up being better than when it came out of the factory. I forgot to mention the leaky skylight and the pulsating pump too. My plan is to just keep the van forever as that's the only way to ensure VFM by holding on to it.
All I'm really glad about is that I know lots about motorhomes but boy I feel sorry for Mr and Mrs B throwing their hard earned pension pot at our hobby.

pigginchilli

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Town Yetholm
Funster No
MH
low line.
Exp
Been to check out our 1999 Mohican after all the wind and rain, bone dry everywhere, checked the engine oil its a 2.8jtd looks like new! started first time after standing a month, Iam feeling very happy and love our old Mohican.(y)

Nov 2, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Quite a few folk on here lately with problem with Hymers, including leaks..
My British Bessacarr E745 doesn't leak, stuff works as it should, has good heating, is comfortable and drives well.
It's 2000 (W) reg, not thinking of changing it, certainly not for a leaky Hymer or Rapido (French built Hymer, isnt it?)
I have e745 04 plate love no leaks either and what we could afford regards steve

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
On my 4th motorhome first 2 German then a 2006 Bessacarr E745 ,
Good build quality inside! Just a shame swift couldn't seal side skirts or use a decent ply on under floor as at 6 years old the floor was rotten. Dealer paid swift to repair floor but what a poor job they done. After 18 months sold van as we lost faith in it and bought 8 year old burstner Delfin. Guess what 2weeks later had a leak in bloody roof. Dealer fixed ok and 12 months on still love it.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
leaky Heki are a problem with many vans irrespective of van manufacture:rolleyes:

The seals on clamping screws degrade and need changing, a 20 minute job....Its a bit like blaming the manufacturer for Trauma failure which are well known to be problematic..

what you should look at is the feedback of a company re backup/support and validity of warranty..and stay well clear of bogus insurance based ones..

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
leaky Heki are a problem with many vans irrespective of van manufacture:rolleyes:

The seals on clamping screws degrade and need changing, a 20 minute job....Its a bit like blaming the manufacturer for Trauma failure which are well known to be problematic..

what you should look at is the feedback of a company re backup/support and validity of warranty..and stay well clear of bogus insurance based ones..

Heki roof lights that are not fitted correctly are the responsibility of the manufacturer, I know what your saying about truama etc and I always defend those that blame the fact that their heating isn't working is as a result of Frankia making bad vans. This is different, I think there was more sealant utilised on my mums false teeth this morning than that which was placed between the sandwhich on my roof. I should of taken photos for you so you could of Judged it ;-) Nowadays as well quality sealants/adhesives are so far ahead of the game that many airplane wings are held on with out the need for screws.

my bathroom door falling off wasn't as a result of my driving style was it? perhaps driving around the bends too fast made the incorrect and poor size screws fall out....
Oh and my bed collapsing? well I can only blame that on my superior activity between the sheets with my wife as the probable cause and not the manufacturer utilising screws so small that when they fell on the floor I needed a magnifying glass to find them.

Facts are facts. we as a motorhome buying public are being ripped off and caught up in the yesteryears of quality workmanship over mass production. It ain't going to change and for that reason I shall not spend anymore of my hard earned cash on these bloody waste of time things, I will stick with what I have and hope any perspective buyers read this holiday in Ibiza and free up some space at the AIres.

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
I will comment shortly. 35 years tugging then our first m/h 3 years ago (new Bolero from Swift) drove past Timberland 2 weeks ago and called in to look at Burstner Aviano 728g at 12 months old. Pick it up on the 9th. Our Swift is and has been wonderful and I shall let you know how we get on with the Burstner.
Cheers
Bernie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Our van was cunningly crafted not more than 3 miles from where We live in Broadway in the Cotswolds... Cant fault to be fair... Well once I took the thing apart and put it back together with the due care it should have had in the factory.... Still a cracking good van mind.

I am amazed at how low the specifications can be on some of the European vans. But then the prices are lower even taking into account the exchange rate .

I/we are proud of our van. We love it in fact. It was bought and built here in the UK and I will always try to buy British wherever possible.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
interestingly for many years on this forum when I was looking at/for motorhomes, the Fiat V much better mercedes/ford insert fictitious make here. That would be another completely different argument but the amount of old(er) people to tell me to stay away from Fiat's was incredible. Yet, all the above other than the current model were Fiat's and I can honestly say NEVER once let me down other than 1 minor ocassion due to my phone stopping the imobiliser working.

Of course, @ScotJim and @Forestboy are correct. VFM is irrespective of what you buy but what you spend. My van will be fixed up, it will be done by me (and one of my workers ;) @drago35uk @mitzimad ) to a standard that will end up being better than when it came out of the factory. I forgot to mention the leaky skylight and the pulsating pump too. My plan is to just keep the van forever as that's the only way to ensure VFM by holding on to it.
All I'm really glad about is that I know lots about motorhomes but boy I feel sorry for Mr and Mrs B throwing their hard earned pension pot at our hobby.
Your last two statements illustrate another point: that a fault that is serious to one owner will be trivial to another. I enjoy working on my van and there's no part of it that I couldn't sort myself if it failed. I love working with vehicle electrics. So whilst I will mutter to myself continually about problems in the way it was screwed together and the faults that were built-in just to annoy me I'll rarely talk about them because they cause me so little difficulty. I'll moan like hell if they cost money though. (2005 Hymer B584) :mad::rolleyes:.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back