This Years Fantasy Road Trip... (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Well it finally looks like this year might be the year I get my road trips.

I have until April to resolve the last niggles with the van including fixing the gearbox but after that I should be clear and have the funds to do my trips.

I am thinking of a 2 month trip doing the north of the UK. Scotland, and back into wales. Here is a link of a roughed out plan (hope the link works.) I want to go to Elgin as I lived there for the first 6 years of my life. No point driving all the way up and not seeing some other stuff while I am there.

I plan to drive no more than 50 miles a day or 100 miles every other day. Unless it is to avoid places like Glasgow and Blackpool :ROFLMAO:.

This should cover most of April and May. I will then look into doing a 2 month trip to France. End of June and July. Back to the UK for final visit with family and friends before... (I will set off for this straight after stratford show.)

The November I will be heading down to Portugal to see JJ and co and stay at the Chicken run for the winter...

All just a rough plan and probably more fantasy than reality but a rough goal is all I ever work to as a full timer anyway...:thumb:

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I may demonstrate some bias but the last leg (UK trip) looks wonderful.:thumb::winky:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I may demonstrate some bias but the last leg (UK trip) looks wonderful.:thumb::winky:

I agree. I loved my time in Scotland and Wales. I am looking forward to the northern most leg of scotland and the cross country part. The next bit will be when I hit North Wales..

If anyone can recommend stops on the north leg and the southern leg before I hit wales I would appreciate any advice as I have never done this route before.

I am familiar with the Peterhead to Fort William section and I am familiar with North Wales. But any other suggestions for stopping points or minor detours would be much appreciated:thumb:

PS: I avoid Cities and touristy things. I hate crowds.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Some thoughts.....

You are missing some of the Scottish gems.

Go Perth, Breamar, Stonehaven, Aberdeen across some of the seriously glorious bits. But Grantown and the Cairngorms also need to be seen. The A90 has little to offer. Stonehaven is nice.

Being a strong supporter of the Queen, take in Balmoral to give her your support. Buy yourself a glider flight in Aboyne.

Stop at Spey Bay. Findhorn.

Visit the home of FB pies.

You missed Skye. No brownie points there.

Get off the M6 go through the lakes.

You missed Blackpool, so you got that right.

But Southport is quite nice, then Liverpool and the tunnel to the Wirral. Chester is well worth a good look.

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009

Attachments

• Our pitch at Arisaig.jpg
    Our pitch at Arisaig.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Some thoughts.....

You are missing some of the Scottish gems.

Go Perth, Breamar, Stonehaven, Aberdeen across some of the seriously glorious bits. But Grantown and the Cairngorms also need to be seen. The A90 has little to offer. Stonehaven is nice.

Being a strong supporter of the Queen, take in Balmoral to give her your support. Buy yourself a glider flight in Aboyne.

Stop at Spey Bay. Findhorn.

Visit the home of FB pies.

You missed Skye. No brownie points there.

Get off the M6 go through the lakes.

You missed Blackpool, so you got that right.

But Southport is quite nice, then Liverpool and the tunnel to the Wirral. Chester is well worth a good look.

Perth added not far off my route.
Breamar added, looks good lots of green on map :thumb:
stonehaven added.

Skye skipped adds too many miles. Southport and chester off as cities. I want wilderness.

Other cities on my route are there to make googlemaps go the route I want to :Angry: This is just a rough route at the moment.....

Here is the updated one... Dundee is off.

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Perth added not far off my route.
Breamar added, looks good lots of green on map :thumb:
stonehaven added.

Skye skipped adds too many miles. I want wilderness.

Here is the updated one... Dundee is off.

If you want wilderness, Skye is for you. Miles of single track roads.

That loop to Grantown is a lot for not enough, good if you were doing Aviemore ( Blackpool of the Highlands ) and the Cairngorms, wilderness with a tram to the top of the wilderness. The A9 is one of the UKs great sights, part of the Whisky Trail, pine forests to wilderness. Oh, you'll not go short on wilderness, oh no.

Fingers crossed for the weather, it really makes a big difference.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I am familiar with the Peterhead to Fort William section

And yet you're planning on going to Peterhead again?? The dreich druggie capital of NE Scotland. Cutting across to Elgin via Dufftown would be my suggestion - way more scenic and Dufftown is the whisky capital. ::bigsmile: [I lived between Banff and Turriff for 14 years so do actually know the area].

Also it would be sacrilege to miss out on the glorious Northumberland coast when you're up that way. Best county in England!

Apologies for lack of smilies where really required as I still refuse to use the ones with Santa hats on. Just add your own as and when required. ::bigsmile:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Pembrokeshire:thumb:

Dec 10, 2010
where ever we park up
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
just completed 6th year
Wales

There's a few in Wales
1, Jims place ( our leader)
2 Brynawelon touring park ( on coast road nr cardigan)
3,Greenore Cl ( ccc) (just outside of Cardigan) ( met with tea/coffee & lemon drizzle cake)

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
And yet you're planning on going to Peterhead again?? The dreich druggie capital of NE Scotland. Cutting across to Elgin via Dufftown would be my suggestion - way more scenic and Dufftown is the whisky capital. ::bigsmile: [I lived between Banff and Turriff for 14 years so do actually know the area].

Also it would be sacrilege to miss out on the glorious Northumberland coast when you're up that way. Best county in England!

Apologies for lack of smilies where really required as I still refuse to use the ones with Santa hats on. Just add your own as and when required. ::bigsmile:

You are correct of course and Peterhead was dropped from the list earlier this evening. I only had it on so I could do the full east to west coast thingy. The mileage had added up so peterhead and dundee have been dropped. I added Aviemore earlier this evening as I seem to remember it has a steam line from when I visited it as a kid. I hope my memory is correct?

This trip is more about Scotland and wales. I have done Northumberland in the motorhome before and will be back again no doubt but not on this trip.

only 25 hours driving time what you doing the third day?

Huh? Sorry don't follow?

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Pembrokeshire:thumb:

Big county can you be more specific? I wasn't intending to do south wales on this trip. Mid wales then swing over to do the Stratford upon Avon show:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

None here, have you flushed your buffer ? Mine is set to clear every time I quit Firefox.

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
After coming down through Dundee and across the Tay it would be madness not to take in St Andrews and the East Neuk of Fife.St Andrews is delightful not only for golf but has loads of history and great places to eat and drink.The East Neuk has a series of fishing villages starting at Crail running down to Elie.Great wee places and good walking. Enjoy!:thumb:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
We stayed here INVERCAIMBE CARAVAN AND CAMPSITE
ARISAIG http://www.invercaimbecaravansite.co.uk/ in 2010, A bit of a detour from Fort William but worth it I think.

Can only agree with this one of the most beautiful places to park, right on the beach with white sand , real rustic feel about the site, you can have fires on the beach, down from Arisaig a sign Rhug, wondered up there on our bikes, herds of dear watching us from the hill, the water line with heron and all sorts of sea birds a really beautiful place.

One place you are not far from on your route is the Black Isle, and near to Channery Point where you can see the dolphins, Some good wild camping easy to find.

My other thought are you to far off the Kintyre Peninsula, all off it truly spectacular coast line, then there is the Isle of Ghia off it, pay the ferry and you can camp anywhere for free.

Just down from Cambeltown is the Gouldruns, amazing wild goats coming down to the shore line, Gannets diving, seals just lazing around, so much to take in.

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
We love Blackpool

We like to park up in Fleetwood, have fish and chips locally and then ride our bikes to Blackpool. It is about 9 miles. If you only fancy a walk then park in Cleveleys and walk on the prom to Blackpool. The new sea defences are brilliant. Don't miss Blackpool just coz of old fashioned prejudice.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Looks good only couple of parts id add on, i would do the outer hebrides amazing place and if you want wild you will get it here. Also once your in Ayr id do more of Dumfries and Galloway lovely place and people even if im a bit bias :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Know a lovely spot in Dumfries thats free,:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
Dumfries and Galloway, Argyll, the Inner Hebrides and The Western Isles should not be missed out.

Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
And yet you're planning on going to Peterhead again?? The dreich druggie capital o!!!!f NE Scotland. Cutting across to Elgin via Dufftown would be my suggestion - way more scenic and Dufftown is the whisky capital. ::bigsmile: [I lived between Banff and Turriff for 14 years so do actually know the area].

[HI]
[/HI]
I agree with that when i went to holy land a few yrs back i told my brother how beautiful northumberland is and he said Shhhhhhhhhh dont tell anyone!!

Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
I agree with that when i went to holy land a few yrs back i told my brother how beautiful northumberland is and he said Shhhhhhhhhh dont tell anyone!!
opp5should have said holy island sorry

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Don't miss Blackpool just coz of old fashioned prejudice.

How about new fashioned prejudice ?

I've been going to Blackpool since 17 when a load of kids from Manchester would pile in a car or two and go to the Fun House. What a shame that burned down.

But not long ago I went on the bike to see the joke walk, could not move for traffic or park. Once there was parking all along the front and two lanes of traffic, now one lane, it does not move and no parking so stuff 'em.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back