This wouldn't happen in UK

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Shrimp64, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Shrimp64

Shrimp64 Funster

Found this on Motorhomig France.

Many of Frances major tourist attractions have noticed the growing popularity of motorhomes & have responded to this trend by providing dedicated overnight parking, and in some cases service points. Those that don't offer accommodation often have a campsite or an aire within a short distance that can offer the opportunity of a stopover.

No way would this happen in UK, shame!

• Like Like x 5
  2. Kool Kroozer

Kool Kroozer Funster

Totally agree - its such a shame that the UK cant offer the same too !

3. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Comme ça?

http://www.campingcar-infos.com/Francais/ccib.php?pays=FRANCE

Check the links in my signature if any of this is unfamiliar to you.

To be fair it has slightly happened in the UK, in enlightened places like Chester, Canterbury, a few others and some in Northern Ireland, but we're a very very long way from the quality of France's provision.

4. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

The UK is guided by strange people who have no idea how to run the country or how to make money for the country or for that matter some new leaders don't even understand the "red" button is really for..................
    I fought for my country as did my wife, but at times I wonder what the powers that be are thinking.
    Sorry will get of my soapbox now....... were are those pills of mine....

• Like Like x 9
  5. Lynne Steele

Lynne Steele Funster

And now winter is close, a lot of campsites will close and the struggle to find somewhere to stay the night just too stressful. Chester is brilliant £1.50 per night on Little Roodee, then normal parking fees the following day, and we always spend money in the town. Wish we weren't 350 miles away from the ferry, France is so easy and Spain and Portugal following now and making Motorhomes welcome. Upton on Severn also good at £3 a night, and I also believe Powys now allowing Motorhomes to use their car parks overnight.

• Like Like x 4
  6. buttons

buttons Funster

France supports motorhome tourism from the rest of Europe. When did you last see a non British motorhome here. Sort of self explanatory really. :)

• Like Like x 3
  7. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Six free spaces in Hawick town centre on a big car park, bit of noise from boy racers but their mummies make sure the little darlings are tucked up in bed for about eleven pm.(y)

• Like Like x 1
  8. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

O Earwig Again springs to mind.

To anybody who say they want similar facilities here, this is what you need to do. Look at where you live/visit and identify an area which is suitable for an aire. Then put together a case as to why the expenditure needed would be worthwhile and present that case to the owner of the land.

Anybody who says they want similar facilities here and is not prepared take that action proves that they don't really want them.

• Like Like x 1
  9. mariner

mariner Funster Life Member

This has been discussed before, France and Germany are transient countries where thousands of Motorhomers are traveling to various other parts of Europe so need stop off points along the way.
    Britain is not a transient country, so much less need for such stop off places.

:cooler:

• Like Like x 2
  10. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Just out of curiosity, do you know if each of the 8500+ French aires were set up after organised pressure from within the local community or was it maybe a top-down initiative from the local Mairie or higher up?

You know we're always going to differ on this one GJH :)

11. Microchip

Microchip Funster

Don't believe that, we don't use those two countries for stop off parking , we normally spend the 6 weeks travelling/sightseeing in them..far more to enjoy that this country..
    Keith.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Dorwyn

Dorwyn Funster

Meanwhile in England places like Scarborough and the north east, and other resorts are doing their best to ban or place heavy restrictions on Motorhomes. What a contrast.

There really should be regular waste disposal points in the UK at the very least. I assume some of the opposition is coming from local campsites who do not want the competition, but in my opinion that is short sighted. Motorhomes are huge business in Europe, attempting to strangle their use in the UK is counter-productive to campsites, local businesses and so on.

• Like Like x 2
  13. mariner

No you probably don't but thousands do!
    Believe it or not even the French travel South through out the year and even more so in the winter.

• Like Like x 1
  14. mariner

In a way you have answered the question!
    You and many others don't spend your holiday in Britain and Foreigners don't come because Europe is a big place and it's easier not too.
    So IMO the demand for Aires in Britain isn't really there.

• Like Like x 1
  15. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

An increasing number of continental campsites offer low cost MH-only compounds with limited (if any) access to facilities. That could be something for English sites to consider.

Ironically, because aires make France an attractive holiday destination I actually make more use of their campsites, because in some places that's the easiest option.

I've said it before but maybe our MH industry should collectively sponsor a University-led study into all this and if the results were favourable send a copy to every town hall in the UK.

• Like Like x 2
  16. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I've no evidential base but, from what I've gleaned, one reason is the difference in popularity of motor caravans and towed caravans between the UK and continental Europe.
    Why should there be regular waste disposal points? Who has provided anyone with a good reason to provide them? Who has justified the cost of doing so?
    The MH industry isn't interested because:
    1) there isn't enough profit in it for them
    2) they know that motorhomers in general aren't bothered enough to do something themselves so why should they bother.

17. The Wino

The Wino Funster

Its down to competition in France cheap aires sites have to compete better service or cheaper in the UK 2 big clubs own loads of sites and encourage private small sites to require club membership to use their sites little competition high prices.

18. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

It's true that the CC and C&CC insist on a members only policy for their CLs/CSs (despite it not being a legal requirement). However, that does not stop any private company/individual wishing to create an aire conveniently situated to a town/village centre from obtaining a certificate from one of the other exempted organisations and setting up a CL or obtaining a caravan site licence and setting up a larger site. What stops them from doing so is the cost compared to the expected income.

19. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Quite right but they still need somewhere to empty the black waste & with the current terrorist threat the House of Parliament are difficult to access & most police stations have peculiar "opening hours ".:(

20. Dorwyn

Dorwyn Funster

Why? It's a public health issue;
    People are left driving around with full tanks and no way of disposing;
    It is a public right to have access to waste disposal;
    It would discourage the unhealthy disposal methods adopted by some of the more unpleasant anti social campers;
    The cost is not excessive, many other countries have found ways of affording it - and what a way to judge such things

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015