This may affect overnighting in supermarket carparks

Discussion in 'Motorhomes in the News' started by lindyloot, May 21, 2014.

1. lindyloot

lindyloot Funster Life Member

2. JohnM

JohnM Read Only Funster

dont get me started on these free loading barstewards.:Angry:

• Like Like x 9
  3. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Do any other countries have problems with (for want of a more suitable term) "the travelling community"? If so how do they deal with it?

• Like Like x 1
  4. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Other countries have Romany populations but Irish Travellers seem to be mainly confined to the UK, Ireland (where they are recognised as a social group but not an ethnic group) and the USA (descendants of post-famine settlers). Legislation is also different in other countries and that enables unauthorised sites to be promptly dealt with.

If Asda continue to have problems the likely outcome is that they will install barriers (which, if fixed, would affect all large vehicles). No supermarket in the UK will admit to a policy of allowing overnight camping by motorhomes as it would be likely to lead to a breach of the 1960 Act.

• Like Like x 2
  5. campa cola

campa cola Funster

Last edited: May 21, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  6. maz

maz Funster

Ooops. I thought the circular Elsan point was a bit OTT. :Blush::BigGrin:

• Like Like x 9
  7. wiljoy

wiljoy Funster

No use for us Funsters. We like class not show and it probably hasn't hook-up, a chemical
    point or a water tap. Whe wants to slum it with Gypsies. I think most of us know what we
    would like done to these so called travellers. During my fulltime working life I had cause to
    do jobs for these lot and you NEVER received money just threats.
    How about 50 of us Funsters taking over a playfield. How long would it take them to remove us????? Not long as we are taxpayers so are supposed to act responsible. It never
    appears to ever work in our favour though.
    Better go am getting steamed up over this isue and these .........

8. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

ASDAs parent company Walmart permit stays in their store parks in the USA and Canada. A chum of mine is a retired Garda Siochana,his opinion of travellers,especially the ones here are very colourful.Suffice to say he reckons that if they came back to Eire,the majority of them would be arrested as soon as they came of the boat.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Not just Asda am afraid. On the way home from Germany the other night I called at the 24 hour Tesco store at the top of the hill coming out of Dover on the A2. I went in to do some shopping and intended having a few hours kip on the carpark. On returning to the van I noticed a sign saying 3 hours maximum with number plate recognition. So off I went back to the store and asked the assistant manager what the position was regarding me doing what I had done for years. Having a few hours sleep before setting off north. He said they had to stop motorhome overnighting as there had been incidents on the security camera of motorhomers emptying cassettes in the hedgerow and discharging waste water on the carpark. So there you go peeps, its not just the travelling community causing the problem but inconsiderate motorhomers shifting the blame.

• Like Like x 8
  10. olley

olley Funster

Typical knee jerk reaction, why not put a service point in? Charge for it with a voucher redeemable against products in store. Win win for everybody.

Ian

• Like Like x 4
  11. daisy mae

daisy mae Read Only Funster

Without upsetting anyone , there are Gypsies and there are travellers, not the same thing at all, genuine Gypsies do not leave rubbish etc, they are very clean, their vans are immaculate, how do I know this,

A few years ago there was an old fashioned wooden caravan , a few yards down our lane on a grass verge, just the one, they were very polite, had a few chickens and a dog, they bathed in the river, cooked over an open fire, after a few days they were gone, nothing remained to say they had been there apart from a bit of scorched grass from the fire.

Another time spent some time in a Gypsy camp. they were very helpful, I was after some information, when I said why I was there the eldest gentleman said " you had better sit down then "they told me where to go and who to ask for.sat at a patio table with the three eldest men, there was Royal Albert country roses china on the table, the girls were dressed beautifully, and made up, the children were polite, no rubbish, no scrap metal, they had just come from the horse fair and had parked up before travelling northwards. the vans were gleaming.

No I have no time for travellers /scrap merchants or whatever you may call them, genuine Gypsies I have all the time for, did you know the Gypsies fought in the 1st and 2nd world wars for this country, and those that gave their life didn`t get a mention, it is being rectified now I believe.They also have a very strict code of conduct for their girls when they reach a certain age, not like some of our teenagers out all hours and getting drunk.

Margaret

• Like Like x 19
  12. arao99

arao99 Funster

Last year in france we saw travellers on an aires and carpark next to an aire all the vans were wired up to the mains electricity illegally and not very safely , nobody bothered them at all.:RollEyes:

13. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Yes but the law is different there :Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  14. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Always some idiots :Sad::Angry:
    Because they run a supermarket chain not caravan sites?

• Like Like x 1
  15. RS_rob

RS_rob Funster

Many years ago travelers set up in the car park of our 24hr Tesco once removed barriers were quickly installed across both entrances & if there is any kind of threat then one is closed & security posted on the other.

Only a few weeks ago after a 4am finish I done the shop for our weekend away & moved to the far end of the car park for a bacon sarny so as not to disturb the misus only to have security knock on the door :Eek!: the guy thought I was setting up camp :Rofl1:

16. Tootles

Tootles Funster

I had no idea they were a couple. Just goes to show. They put this act on that they politically 'hate' each other, when really they were setting up this little love nest. How sweet....:RollEyes:

• Like Like x 5
  17. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

that's a very "interesting" observation, and a mental image i am going to find difficult to remove.....think i will go and gargle with some southern comfort:Rofl1:

• Like Like x 5
  18. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

Bath's gypsy and traveller sites will need kitchen, bathroom and lounge for each pitch

New gypsy and traveller sites planned for Bath and north east Somerset will need to include a building for each pitch which will contain a kitchen, toilet, shower and living room.

B&NES Council has revealed more detail about its £1.8 million proposal to provide official sites for the traveller community.

This will include the redevelopment of the currently unofficial site in Lower Bristol Road, which had a planning application for 13 pitches submitted by planning consultants LPC (Trull), on behalf of the local authority, in January.

B&NES has secured £750,000 worth of funding from the Home and Communities Agency, but that money is only guaranteed on the condition that the pitches comply with certain standards.

This states that each pitch must have an amenity building, which will include a minimum of hot and cold water, an electricity supply, space heating, a separate toilet and sink, a bath/shower room, a kitchen/dining area, storage space, a space for connection of cooker, fridge/freezer and washing machine, and ideally a living room.

Each pitch must be large enough to accommodate a large trailer and touring caravan, parking for two cars, drying space for clothes, and a lockable shed.

The site must also have water and waste drainage, lighting and fencing between the pitches.

Read more at http://www.bathchronicle.co.uk/Bath...1062486-detail/story.html#2F6feuvHGBsfI0RT.99

19. UK Pete

UK Pete Read Only Funster

Well i am not so pc and polite to call them gypsy and traveller types, i say piss off you stinking pikies, they are all over my neck of the woods at the moment, my mate lives on 7 acres of field and has recently been intimidated by them, they broke in to his field and have camped up, he has now got to get a court order to remove them, the police and council have both said as there is no hard evidence they broke in , and there is nothing they can do,
    these pikies have and are leaving toilet waste and rubish anywhere and worse still are sending the kids to rob what ever they can find on this site , and also they have told my mate he best leave for his own safety as there are more coming and it is going to be theirs soon, WTF IS THIS COUNTRY COMING T0
    pETE

• Like Like x 6
  20. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

supermarkets have diversified in many ways.. and provide all sorts of services other than supplying food and drink.. you can do all sorts there now..

fill up with fuel
    have a meal
    get a key cut
    banking
    have your shoes mended.. etc etc.. you know what I mean..

many French supermarkets have service points with space for a few vans to overnight..

I appreciate the legal side and the Caravan Act.. but if Mway service stations can do it .. why not supermarkets..

They are not poor cash strapped councils with higher priorities and locals to please.. but big multinationals making £billions in profit..

perhaps they are not interested because they are already making huge profits.. and after all , whether there is a service point or not.. we all gotta buy food.

I know what your reply will be.. :Wink:

but personally I'm not interested, I much prefer a CL .. so won't be writing to xy or z .. :Laughing:

• Like Like x 4