This is why I have a dash cam (2 Viewers)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Yes, well. HonestJohn gives sound advice over many years. I remember well reading this in the paper at the time:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring...8453997/Priority-when-joining-a-motorway.html
And if you bluster, "But, but, hang on a minute,...." if not worse, then all I can say is I was there before you, but it does explain a lot :-(

Dave
Thanks for that. The situation in the video was of course very different, the vehicle joining looked as if it had no intention of giving way but if I see a vehicle on a slip road and can move over to the right to let them in I do so. It isn't just courtesy, it is the safest thing to do because the vehicle might come onto the road anyway, whether I move over or not.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Hi DBK,

No I wouldn't, (with the exception as previously described) or where I know that, because of stupidly, poorly designed 'on slips', example Tavistock Road on to Plymouth Parkway Eastbound, where the cars attempting to enter the road have no sight line, and No 'on ramp' of any length, I don't do it.
To do so would continue the thought processes in the minds of those that saunter onto major roads without even considering that they are in the wrong.
There have been times when I have been forced into taking avoiding action but the instigator is left in no doubt that it is they that are in the wrong.
So do you sit out the entire journey, fastened to lane one?

Craig

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
If you can give way to traffic joining from a slip road then do so but you shouldnt be forced to give way.
I still think the emphasis is on the driver joining, how many times do they not only force their way out but want to go straight to the outside lane.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I will always move over if there is opportunity but obviously in your case that was not possible. What a knob....he definitely deserves some kick ass air horn blowing :) Just to add .....I often move over just in case anyway.

May 19, 2014
Keynsham, Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for that. The situation in the video was of course very different, the vehicle joining looked as if it had no intention of giving way but if I see a vehicle on a slip road and can move over to the right to let them in I do so. It isn't just courtesy, it is the safest thing to do because the vehicle might come onto the road anyway, whether I move over or not.
You mean like this?
Broken Link Removed

Dave

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
"Driving" is for your own preservation basically thinking ahead. Standard procedure if in inside lane approaching a slip road joining is Mirrors, Indicate, Manoevre. Move into lane adjacent. The real tosser who was overtaking you at a junction preventing your escape was just as guilty as the driver joining. His brain was in his ass too. :Eeek:

The Mirrors stage should establish whether it is safe to do so, they are signposted some distance in advance. ?? (y) ;)

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
"Don't be the Meat in the sandwich". It is not still 1957 out there on the Frog and Toad. At today's speeds,if coming out of a slip road yourself,the vehicle approaching can move over to the second lane without impeding another vehicle,it's Win/ Win. Often there is no gap in the vehicles long enough time wise to start from scratch from the slip road,so traffic flows safely.
How many of the posters on here,would stop at the dotted line,even though the vehicle coming had moved over to the second lane and signaled for you to proceed ? Before we get to the,"DON'T go on a flash of the headlights...... it may not be....whatever". NOBODY in their right mind,will move over a lane,flash you out?(whatever lol),then proceed to pull back in and run into a tri-axle trailer with 20 odd tons of stone in.
There are drivers out there,who read the road constantly and see the moving over of lanes to help some one enter from a slip as a generous gesture if traffic flow allows. But,someone comes along now and then to bugger this "Generous gesture" up, by attaining the same speed as you are travelling at, and sitting in the nearside lane,so you cannot pull back in.
For some of you,i have SUPER news,there is a shortage of lorry drivers this Christmas,so if you REALLY want something to get hot under the collar about,i suggest you apply to do deliveries to Supermarket Wharehouse facilities,and sit there waiting to be called onto a bay.... Take a clean shirt and towel with you,you could be there long enough to join a local darts team in the pub.
As regards the "Dash Cam" footage,yes it was reckless driving,but you relive it every time you play/show the clip,whereas "Numb Nuts in the car" probably didn't now/care,and has forgtten all about it. Chill brother,pass the after eights,relax,it has been said that a scare/fright now and again is good for you,keeps the heart going,there again i could be wrong.
Tea Bag aka "Keep the revs in the top of the GREEN !!"

Reactions: DBK

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Lol @ green tea bag.. You're right though..
Move on and learn a little more.. Next time you may have anticipated such dingbatedness before it happens.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
So do you sit out the entire journey, fastened to lane one?

Craig
C'Mon Craig, read the post.
I've already said, I move over when I see, (usually a damn sight further down the road than the vast majority of other road users) that a HGV is joining. I also move over when the 'on slip' is too short to get up to speed (and there's a fair few of them down here in the West Country. In that case I must either know of it's existance or be able to see it. I will not pull into the next lane on the presumption that a car will be entering the road.
Where did it say that I never move out of Lane 1.
All I'm saying is that by robotically moving over to allow people, regardless of their speed to enter the Major road, you are doing no one any favours.
1. By doing so you are creating a pinch point that will, with the passage of time create a scenario that will eventually lead to the slowing down of traffic in the Major road where traffic in that road will come to a standstill. That scenario happens all over the country because drivers move over when there is no need, and;
2. This manner of driving (pulling over) has now got to the point where it is not only expected, (wrongly) but it is almost demanded by persons entering the road that they can do so, at will, at ANY speed regardless of the persons already on the road.

I do not get angry, have road rage or anything of the sort.
I maintain my speed, my course and am very mindful of other road users but at the same time I will not alter, what is my rightful course without the entering vehicle's driver being made very aware of my existance.

I've just walked away from this post and am now adding a little bit more.

Have a think about this. Take yourself out of the'van and put yourself in a Big Shiny Marked Police Car. How many of these 'drifters' would enter the Motorway (or Dual Carriageway) and beat up the Police Car. Answer NIL>
Now put yourself in the place of 'The Drifter' Fancy doing that to a Copper.???
I thought not!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I rely on common sense from other road users joining a motorway.

But I very seldom see it.

Watch out for the idiots Funsters(y)

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I shouldn't nit pick if I were you! Some cars might just have been mounted and crushed by some lorries in that scenario!

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
They are now fitting downward facing mirrors onto the front of cabs,in the "Old" Renault Magnum,there was/is an area of about 8ft,from the front bumper,(Umpteen milliwhatsits) that cannot be seen from the cab,much the same on a lesser scale on some m/homes. So be carefull out there people,it's...... "Hell on the hill !"
Note to car driver...... GO to Specsavers NOW!! if you want to live to enjoy your pension.
Tea Bag.
PS.It does seem very controlled ,can you really believe all you read in the papers

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back