This is what can happen when speeding in the MH. (1 Viewer)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Most probably drunk. If he was it will have been an expensive drink.

sewinlynne2

Free Member
Jul 21, 2013
Saron Dyfed
Funster No
MH
Elddis Riva GT Gold 175
Exp
since November 2016!!!
Screen says video currently unavailable-error code. Obviously pissed as a rat and judging by the nearside panel damage before the main event; he'd caused mayhem elsewhere too. Shameful behaviour. Luckily no-one else caught up in it. What an idiot. Painful to watch for all considerate mohomers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
What many do not realise is that most motorhomes are built on a van chassis. The body is many times larger than what the chassis was originally intended for. They are top heavy and once in a tank slapper its not long before you are past the point of no return. I would never drive a coachbuilt in the fast lane especially if overtaking a truck. The vortex created is very dangerous, even to a professional driver.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Well I hope all are okay and safe.

I mostly do 60 mph. I have done 90 in A Mercedes v6 on the German Autobahn, legally.

But I often find myself in the UK doing more than 60 on motorways, Why?. Because there are so may lane huggers, that it often makes it impossible to travel at a steady pace.

And You have to use the third lane and more to get mast the Trucks struggling passing others in the inside lane.

And I will put money on it that many of the motorhomes driving nice and slow are more dangerous than those going faster. Dangerously worn or old tyres being the reason.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Glad to see that he didn't wipe anyone else out with his antics.

Assuming he was above the drink Drive limit as the reason he failed to give a sample, does his insurance company still have to pay out?

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
What many do not realise is that most motorhomes are built on a van chassis. The body is many times larger than what the chassis was originally intended for. They are top heavy and once in a tank slapper its not long before you are past the point of no return. I would never drive a coachbuilt in the fast lane especially if overtaking a truck. The vortex created is very dangerous, even to a professional driver.
I know you can have a tank slapper on a motorbike (had one) put what caused this van to swerve so severely?

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I know you can have a tank slapper on a motorbike (had one) put what caused this van to swerve so severely?

Possibly wind deflection off the truck he was overtaking at speed. Once swaying the pendulum effect takes over and any corrections become over corrections.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
It is perfectly possibly to drive a Motorhome safely at 70 and sometimes over that. I have driven my a A class at frequently on German autobahns However I wasn't pissed at the time and was very aware of what was going on all around me and the prevailing road conditions. However I do find it more comfortable to cruise at around the 60/65 mark and of course that helps with economy as well

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Possibly wind deflection off the truck he was overtaking at speed. Once swaying the pendulum effect takes over and any corrections become over corrections.
I would agree with a rear wheel drive, not so sure about FWD. I think the driver was swerving the MH on purpose. Maybe....

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
It is perfectly possibly to drive a Motorhome safely at 70 and sometimes over that. I have driven my a A class at frequently on German autobahns However I wasn't pissed at the time and was very aware of what was going on all around me and the prevailing road conditions. However I do find it more comfortable to cruise at around the 60/65 mark and of course that helps with economy as well

The truck would be travelling at 56 MPH. By the way the coachbuilt MH overtook him I would estimate his speed at much more than 70. A coachbuilt is more susceptible to turbulence with the overhead than an A class. I ran luton type vans as part of my business and there handling characteristics were totally different than a normal van due to the overhead luton.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Looks to me as if he never took his foot off the accelerator in order to regain control as he was still going away from the dashcam. Further, he failed to give a specimen of blood so, from memory, would have been taken to hospital. If he had blown 40-50 he would have been offered the opportunity of replacing breath with blood and then failing to do so would be a charge of over prescribed limit so cant see any other reason for fail to provide blood. Also states 35 miles of him being called in.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
The truck would be travelling at 56 MPH. By the way the coachbuilt MH overtook him I would estimate his speed at much more than 70. A coachbuilt is more susceptible to turbulence with the overhead than an A class. I ran luton type vans as part of my business and there handling characteristics were totally different than a normal van due to the overhead luton.
Yes I appreciate the difference, I was referring to A class Motorhoms,, Perhaps I didn't make that clear.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
The accident had already started behind the camera, there is a locker door missing and damage to the sill near to the hab door.

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
Very interesting to see how fragile a coach built can be. When involved in a collision they seem to fall apart very easily and quickly.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think the title ought to be don't drive drunk. It seems all accidents involving speeding are blamed 100% on that hence the obsession with fines even when slightly over the limit he obviously is out of control more likely due to drink than just the speed he was going at.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Think it was more likely his steering input - as you say once the pendulum effect starts it's difficult to straighten. Easier without alcohol though.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
I sincerely hope his insurers refused to pay out

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
It says he was followed by witnesses swerving from a service station ... drunk as a skunk. Thank God no one else was hurt..

I always let the dogs drive when I can't ...
20161027_124904~01.jpg

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
So the ones I see overtaking me on the M25 and M4, are really just accidents waiting to happen. Very sobering video, thanks for posting.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
I think this answers it all. "failing to provide a specimen of blood to police."

Exactley... this is what happens when you drive when you are pissed.

If thats the bit of the M6 i think it is , you can go much faster than that LOL.

Its why i have a tag axle , for stability at speed.

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Exactley... this is what happens when you drive when you are pissed.

If thats the bit of the M6 i think it is , you can go much faster than that LOL.

Its why i have a tag axle , for stability at speed.

I am amazed how well my tag axle van handles and drives I sometimes look down and the speed I am going surprises me. Actualy I was shocked when driving downhill in Switzerland I was doing a very Naughty miles and hour van was just cruising I did however cut my speed considerably.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back