Free Member
Aug 17, 2012
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class Dethleffs
Exp
since 2011
...............and I suspect you may convince me so.

Fors and against I know but we want to tow a car mainly in the UK but occasionally abroad.

I was going to buy a Smart cabrio and get a Smart/Brian James trailer or similar. that would mean 3 cars on the drive with all the associated cost and my wife will not drive the Smart as a daily driver. Fair enough.

So we are looking at a Mini convertible which weighs 1165 kilo and putting it on a twin axle trailer which will weigh 450kg totalling 1615kg.

My van is plated at 5000 plus 1800 towing when braked. We travel fairly light to be fair so doubt we will come near the GTW.

Am i being stupid in considering this or is it feasible?

TIA

Jun 26, 2012
ipswich suffolk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt pilote
Exp
2005 off and on
hi there
have you thought of hiring a car for the day when your out and about, it may work out cheaper in the long term and there is always the old public transport, depends what site you stay on regards

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
If she won't drive the Smart I'd go for a for an exchange and get one that will.

:winky:

Vlad.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
What is the weight of the new mini roadster cabrio.
Should be lighter as it is a two seater like the smart.

Mel

OP
OP
talaris

talaris

Free Member
Aug 17, 2012
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class Dethleffs
Exp
since 2011
That is the Roadster cabrio.

Nice looking car too

OP
OP
talaris

talaris

Free Member
Aug 17, 2012
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class Dethleffs
Exp
since 2011
hi there
have you thought of hiring a car for the day when your out and about, it may work out cheaper in the long term and there is always the old public transport, depends what site you stay on regards

We did but due to work etc only having Saturday on site and Sunday morning it makes it difficult

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the actual weight of the trailer is immaterial, its the gross weight which counts...even if towed empty.

so you can have a trailer with a gross weight of 1800kg and load it with any weight up to its maximum 1800kg

deduct the trailers actual (unladen) weight from the trailers gross weight to give you the trailers payload

Last edited:
OP
OP
talaris

talaris

Free Member
Aug 17, 2012
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class Dethleffs
Exp
since 2011
the actual weight of the trailer is immaterial, its the gross weight which counts...even if towed empty.

so you can have a trailer with a gross weight of 1800kg and load it with any weight up to its maximum 1800kg

deduct the trailers actual (unladen) weight from the trailers gross weight to give you the trailers payload

Yes I realise that.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back